Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Homemade sheath for Leatherman

dk Offline Dr. Horseparty

Homemade sheath for Leatherman
on: October 27, 2017, 09:00:35 PM
Hi!

I was tired of the poor quality leather sheath that came with my Leatherman Charge TTI, so I wanted to make a new one made entirely out of leather.
I came up with this but I haven't tried it on yet as I am still waiting for the mailman to deliver the belt clip I ordered.
The tool fits very well and the bit kit has a separate room at the back of the sheath.
My plan is to make another sheath similar to this to fit my Leatherman Surge.

Have any of you made your own sheaths for your Leathermen?
DSC_0244.JPG
* DSC_0244.JPG (Filesize: 110.21 KB)
DSC_0245.JPG
* DSC_0245.JPG (Filesize: 116.66 KB)
DSC_0246.JPG
* DSC_0246.JPG (Filesize: 70.81 KB)
DSC_0247.JPG
* DSC_0247.JPG (Filesize: 76.47 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Homemade sheath for Leatherman
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:17:13 PM
 :o   awesome !   :like: :tu: :tu:

Love the design, got any pics showing the bottom and back ?

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:24:26 PM
Thank you :cheers:
I will try to take some photos of the back too.
The sheath is primarily made out of a single piece of leather going from the front to the back and to the front again being the front flap.
It is essentially made like to original Leatherman sheaths but with sewing in stead of rivets.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:01:31 PM
First off welcome to :MTO: :tu: and second, that sheath looks awesome :drool: Very nice looking work on it :like: :like:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:26 PM
That's lovely that is Dr HP - very nice.

I've not really made any pouches for myself, but i did make a nice pouch for my Dad a few Christmasses ago - for a pruning knife that was also a prezzie... i forget the make of the knife, Italian, begins with an M...? Anyway, i even bought one of those speed stitchers to help make it, those thingys for repairing sails, which itself is a lovely tool. I'll take a pic in a minute...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 10:21:12 PM
Beautiful work Doctor  :salute: That looks amazing.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:33:15 PM
Sounds interesting.
I have done leatherwork for many years as I have had a small business with making hunting knives.
That's some years ago now so it is nice to be back in the game again.
I tried to take some more pics of the sheath.
FullSizeRender.jpg
* FullSizeRender.jpg (Filesize: 120.77 KB)
FullSizeRender.jpg
* FullSizeRender.jpg (Filesize: 122.43 KB)
FullSizeRender.jpg
* FullSizeRender.jpg (Filesize: 100.68 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:48:54 PM
Welcome to the forum as well Dr.   :cheers:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:36:39 PM by SteveC »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:14 PM
That's lovely that is Dr HP - very nice.

I've not really made any pouches for myself, but i did make a nice pouch for my Dad a few Christmasses ago - for a pruning knife that was also a prezzie... i forget the make of the knife, Italian, begins with an M...? Anyway, i even bought one of those speed stitchers to help make it, those thingys for repairing sails, which itself is a lovely tool. I'll take a pic in a minute...

Found it...
20171027_213412.jpg
* 20171027_213412.jpg (Filesize: 211.82 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:43 PM
That is a very sweet looking sheath, I like the 2nd compartment for a bit set. 

You said that you are waiting for the belt clip, why not see on a belt loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 12:42:06 AM
Welcome! I don't know much about leatherworking, but that looks awesome!  :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 02:28:44 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :like:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 04:42:54 AM
Lovely lovely!  I love MTs but am consistently disappointed with poor quality sheaths that come with them.  Its an inspiration to folks take the initiative make their own.  One of these days I'll give it a shot...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 06:25:42 AM
Nice work.  This looks like it will last a good long while and age really nicely in the process.
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 07:43:09 AM

I have considered this quite a bit. I really like the belt clip on my Juice where I can just slide the sheath over my belt in order to carry it.
Here in Denmark we have some strict knife rules so I have to have a good reason to carry a knife. I usually have because I am a veterinarian but that explanation will not be accepted if I carry the knife to the super market. Therefore it is important to me that I can remove the sheath from my belt pretty quickly. I am a little worried that the belt clip will make the sheath dangle too much on the belt but we will see.

Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 07:48:34 AM
Lovely lovely!  I love MTs but am consistently disappointed with poor quality sheaths that come with them.  Its an inspiration to folks take the initiative make their own.  One of these days I'll give it a shot...

I agree with you on that one. My first Leatherman was a PST and the sheath that came with it was of equal quality as the MT itself. Later on I got the old style Wave with the brown sheath. Also super good quality.
The sheath that came with my Charge TTI however is such a bad quality that with 6 months of pretty light use, it is already showing signs of tear.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 09:06:55 AM

I agree with you on that one. My first Leatherman was a PST and the sheath that came with it was of equal quality as the MT itself. Later on I got the old style Wave with the brown sheath. Also super good quality.
The sheath that came with my Charge TTI however is such a bad quality that with 6 months of pretty light use, it is already showing signs of tear.
Which sheath do you mean specificaly? Any pics?

Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 09:24:07 AM

[/quote]Which sheath do you mean specificaly? Any pics?
[/quote]

I mean the standard leather sheath that comes with the Charge TTI.
The nylon webbing seems to be easily overstretched and it is very hard to fit both the MT and the bit card into the sheath and close it properly.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 10:50:02 AM

[/quote]

The nylon webbing seems to be easily overstretched and it is very hard to fit both the MT and the bit card into the sheath and close it properly.
[/quote]I see.
Currently I'm using this one with my Charge AL:

But it originaly came with this one:

This one is still unused so can't comment on it. Is that the one you mean? The first one is holding up for quite some years now.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 02:24:28 PM
a most excellent work on that sheath!   :tu: :tu:
I believe that the sheath is as important as the tool if you intend to carry it. The older LM leather sheaths have no rival and both nylon and leather new ones leave a lot to be desired IMO.

SOG also has excellent thick  leather ones, and for nylon or modern materials I almost always prefer the ones from Gerber.
That sheath is superbly crafted and looks like it'll last a lifetime.  :salute:

And I also like a lot clippable sheaths for quick operation and no need to take your belt off to change them, but most I have wiggle, move a lot or are just not nice to carry in most of my belts. I've even had some fall out and unclip themselves in some situations.
A nice quick-exchange system that has worked better for me is the MOLLE type, with a nylon strap or cordura material that can be opened and snapped closed. It's also very quick and generally more stable. Something like this (hope the links are OK to put)

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/TM20020/Timberline-Tactical-Ballistic-Nylon-Dual-Carry-MOLLE-Sheath-Black

or this

http://sportingcutlery.co.uk/leatherman-xl-ballistic-nylon-molle-multi-tool-pouch-sheath-in-desert-brown
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
a most excellent work on that sheath!   :tu: :tu:
I believe that the sheath is as important as the tool if you intend to carry it. The older LM leather sheaths have no rival and both nylon and leather new ones leave a lot to be desired IMO.

100 percent agree - and brown leather too.

And I also like a lot clippable sheaths for quick operation and no need to take your belt off to change them, but most I have wiggle, move a lot or are just not nice to carry in most of my belts. I've even had some fall out and unclip themselves in some situations.
A nice quick-exchange system that has worked better for me is the MOLLE type, with a nylon strap or cordura material that can be opened and snapped closed. It's also very quick and generally more stable. Something like this (hope the links are OK to put)

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/TM20020/Timberline-Tactical-Ballistic-Nylon-Dual-Carry-MOLLE-Sheath-Black

or this

http://sportingcutlery.co.uk/leatherman-xl-ballistic-nylon-molle-multi-tool-pouch-sheath-in-desert-brown

I quite fancy getting one of these:

https://www.hazard4.com/mil-koala.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:36:21 PM by Fuzzbucket »

Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 05:33:17 PM

[/quote]I see.

This one is still unused so can't comment on it. Is that the one you mean? The first one is holding up for quite some years now.
[/quote]

This is the one that came with my MT.  And I don't like at all.
IMG_5379.jpg
* IMG_5379.jpg (Filesize: 124.2 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 05:42:07 PM

I see.

[/quote]

This is the one that came with my MT.  And I don't like at all.
[/quote]No experience with that one. But it doesn't look as "streamlined" as their other designs... and appearently not as durable either... :/

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 09:49:23 PM
Nice work Dr.!
That looks like a really sturdy sheath.
 :like: :tu: :tu:

Welcome to the forum!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 10:09:12 PM
DRHORESEPARTY

Very very nice sheath you have made there. I like quality and the chestnuts color. You may consider taking orders, it seems that nice!

I'm imagining one for my PST II, another for my Blast, my Super Tool, and so on.

Nice work.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:44 PM

I have considered this quite a bit. I really like the belt clip on my Juice where I can just slide the sheath over my belt in order to carry it.
Here in Denmark we have some strict knife rules so I have to have a good reason to carry a knife. I usually have because I am a veterinarian but that explanation will not be accepted if I carry the knife to the super market. Therefore it is important to me that I can remove the sheath from my belt pretty quickly. I am a little worried that the belt clip will make the sheath dangle too much on the belt but we will see.

I feel fortunate to live where I do.

Please don't misunderstand, I've not been to Denmark, and would like to visit someday. This is in no way a put down of any other country or locale with different knife laws. Im sure the laws were put in place for a reason and the popular wants them that way, but I am happy with the ones where I live.

I am just a computer and network guy, but i can carry my Leatherman at work in a sheath on my belt, and then go to the grocery store without being accosted or even approached by the police because of it. I rue the day that changes here. We do have rules against carrying blades over a certain length, sheathhd or not, however, but a Leatherman will pass.

That certainly explains your need for a clip. They have their value, and I have used clips before. A good strong clip will be just as good, and provide you that versatility in carry that you need.

Again, beautiful work on your sheath. Very neat, and nice thick leather.

Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 08:14:25 AM
DRHORESEPARTY

Very very nice sheath you have made there. I like quality and the chestnuts color. You may consider taking orders, it seems that nice!

I'm imagining one for my PST II, another for my Blast, my Super Tool, and so on.

Nice work.

Thanks 👍
Some years ago I had a small business making this kind of stuff to hunters and fishermen.
I have sold some things in the U.K. but never in US.
I will contact you if I someday starts up production again😜

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 11:06:42 AM
No way. Post it here on MTO so we can all order :D :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 05:27:52 PM
agree with Mechanickal- there's definitely talent some of us would pay for in that sheath   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 06:10:40 PM
 :like: +1 and welcome aboard!  After Leatherman did away with their original sheath custom has been the only way to go. 
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD