Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My musings on the lack of grammar nazis

lister · 372 · 10645

nl Online Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: My musings on the lack of grammar nazis
Reply #90 on: November 14, 2017, 11:03:02 AM
To most people, communism means Soviet oppression, and anarchism means Mad Max. A far cry from the original ideologies. Whether these interpretations are correct or not, is irrelevant to the people involved. It´s better to not use words that have different meanings for different people.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:16:43 AM by Ronald Schröder »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #91 on: November 14, 2017, 11:21:55 AM
And spell checker is a godsend for someone who learned most of his English through listening.
Is the spell checker part of the forum?  :think:  It keeps wanting to make me use US spelling instead of actual English:twak:
There are some words where the S is replaced with a Z in the American version (eg: apologise/apologize, realise/realize) and if I'm not sure I throw an S in there anyway.  >:D

Oh I think we should probably steer away from the N-word too...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #92 on: November 14, 2017, 11:27:19 AM
Yeah I meant Nazi.  :D
I know it's a common term... quite an exaggeration. Similar to Godwin's Law?  :think:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #93 on: November 14, 2017, 11:30:50 AM
Homosexuals rebranded themselves as gay and now gay no longer means happy but something lame.

There is an ad campaign here to stop calling lame things "gay" as people who call themselves gay are upset.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: November 14, 2017, 12:03:24 PM
Yeah I know. But what I mean with communism is not anything to do with any real world regimes. I mean as a capital as commons, increased economical equality (which to me is a prerequisite for democracy), taking care of basic needs (food, place to live, education...) and stuff like that. But if we avoid words with two meanings what are you left with? If we implement smurf filter for such cases communication would be something like this: Smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #95 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:37 PM
Yeah I know. But what I mean with communism is not anything to do with any real world regimes. I mean as a capital as commons, increased economical equality (which to me is a prerequisite for democracy), taking care of basic needs (food, place to live, education...) and stuff like that. But if we avoid words with two meanings what are you left with? If we implement smurf filter for such cases communication would be something like this: Smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf smurf...  :D

It´s not my intention to have a smurf filter, but to have people say what they really mean. Like you did just now.  :salute:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: November 14, 2017, 12:20:57 PM

It´s not my intention to have a smurf filter, but to have people say what they really mean. Like you did just now.  :salute:

I know that you did not mean to institute a smurf filter. I am just saying that most words have many meanings. Maybe as many as there are people who know/use them.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:26 PM

I am an atheist and politically lean towards communism, anarchism... Stuff that is not popular in USA. Do I mind if they call my a dirty commie? Not so much. And we all like gadgets. That is why I am here. So even if someone does not agree with me on these things mostly we will get along just well.  :D

:salute:
Why not go wildly off topic  :rofl:

I recently came to the conclusion that anarchy is the only acceptable option going forward, that said I have no idea how to practically implement it  :think:
The way I see it there might 1/1000.....or 1/1 000 000 people that can live ungoverned and without the will to power.

I'm angered and saddened by politics, I take no part other that paying tax and making scathing remarks on Facebook.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #98 on: November 14, 2017, 01:59:49 PM
And spell checker is a godsend for someone who learned most of his English through listening.
Is the spell checker part of the forum?  :think:  It keeps wanting to make me use US spelling instead of actual English.  :twak:
There are some words where the S is replaced with a Z in the American version (eg: apologise/apologize, realise/realize) and if I'm not sure I throw an S in there anyway.  >:D

Before we go blaming the forum for something yet again, the spell checker is built into most browsers nowadays.  If it is set to US English and not your preferred language, it's going to bring up the US spelling of things.  Even if people in the US think it's ok to drop the U in flavour and colour and mispronounce the last letter of the alphabet.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #99 on: November 14, 2017, 02:23:52 PM
I guess they did that also for the world "Nazi" of this thread's title, since "SoSmurfpillsm" starts with an S, both in English and German. As in NationalSozialismus.

But we shouldn't say much about Americans. British people write "Glucester" and they read "Gloster". And "Leicester" as "Lester". I guess they would write "Licester" for "Lister", but that's not sure, since they also have "Lancaster" that they read properly.
Can anyone explain that?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:33:01 PM by kkokkolis »

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #100 on: November 14, 2017, 03:32:55 PM
I guess they did that also for the world "Nazi" of this thread's title, since "SoSmurfpillsm" starts with an S, both in English and German. As in NationalSozialismus.

But we shouldn't say much about Americans. British people write "Glucester" and they read "Gloster". And "Leicester" as "Lester". I guess they would write "Licester" for "Lister", but that's not sure, since they also have "Lancaster" that they read properly.
Can anyone explain that?

It´s caused by hot potatoes, they have blicesters on their tongues.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:34:32 PM by Ronald Schröder »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #101 on: November 14, 2017, 04:30:51 PM

Can anyone explain that?

:facepalm:
It's actually all the hot tea!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #102 on: November 14, 2017, 04:49:12 PM

Can anyone explain that?

:rofl:

Oh, and don't even get me started on "Worcestershire"... ::)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #103 on: November 14, 2017, 04:50:42 PM
How do they read that?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: November 14, 2017, 04:51:35 PM

Can anyone explain that?

Eddie Murphy is in my head saying it now.  :facepalm:
(From shrek)

All hail the hook!

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 06:35:25 PM

Changing the word does not change the feelings of people. Black people in USA were called negros, niggers, people of colour, African Americans and they still are not seen as equal by large portions of white population. Homosexuals rebranded themselves as gay and now gay no longer means happy but something lame. Changing words changes nothing. You have to change the attitudes.

the curious thing is that in Spanish, the second most spoken language in the world, "negro" means literally "black", the name of the colour, (color for you US folks) without any additional meaning or connotation. Just literally, black.

Here you have a black iPod (iPod negro), a black cat (gato negro) or a black car (coche negro), and when you see a dark-coloured person you call them "negro". Afro-americans, African people and very dark skin people are "negros", and this was the one and only way to call them until very, very recently.

Now, as more tolerant homosexual, anti-misogynist, anti-racist and anti-everything-bad view of things, these "negros" are called dark color people, Afro-American people, or other (neutral thing here) people but between older people the use of the N word is just common and it's not interpreted as impolite, insulting or incorrect, even though it's politically and socially inappropriate in today's world.

It just looked curious to me as I called these people "negros" as a child and never thought I could hurt somebody's feelings by doing so.   :oops:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:38:30 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #108 on: November 14, 2017, 06:57:07 PM
How do they read that?

It's something like "woostersha"  ::)

:pok:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #109 on: November 14, 2017, 07:47:25 PM

Can anyone explain that?

Eddie Murphy is in my head saying it now.  :facepalm:
(From shrek)

Found it!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 08:15:36 PM
and when you see a dark-coloured person you call them "negro".
Why don't you just call them by their names?  ;)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:22 PM
What if you don't know them?  :P

All hail the hook!

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #112 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:12 PM
Latin grammar remained pretty much unchanged for over 2,000 years.

Pic of some of my books, in reversed colors.
DSC08936-latin-42.jpg
* DSC08936-latin-42.jpg (Filesize: 234.52 KB)

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:38 PM

Call them sir.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #114 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:53 PM
Introduce yourself.  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:47 PM
You know, I actually never thought of referring to people by their skin colour.  :think:
As in, "see the (mumble obscure light shade) person there?" Or "go to the (mumble obscure black shade) coloured guy".
Usually they have a more distinctive feature, like hair or clothes.  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #116 on: November 14, 2017, 08:45:01 PM

Call them sir.

of course I am talking about people you don't know or plain strangers. Like: if you point out to a group of people of all genders, ages, etc. and you are asked "Who in that group?" and you say "El negro (the black)" making it completely clear that you refer to the dark colored person of that group, without negative remarks or connotations
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #117 on: November 14, 2017, 08:50:48 PM
el negro con sandwich
WP_20171114_12_18_28_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20171114_12_18_28_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 310.42 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #118 on: November 14, 2017, 08:55:28 PM
With regard to Nazis, the worst people I have to deal with is building regulations folk who just LOVE being nitpicky with all the rules. They all seem to come from the UK....  :pok:
Most of the Germans around here are hippies.  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:34 PM
With regard to Nazis, the worst people I have to deal with is building regulations folk who just LOVE being nitpicky with all the rules. They all seem to come from the UK....  :pok:
Most of the Germans around here are hippies.  :think:
Strange, I'm told that the Germans in Germany are... Unhippy?  :think:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74