Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

That'll do, MTO. That'll do.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
That'll do, MTO. That'll do.
on: November 30, 2017, 02:40:03 AM
Sorry for the long post, but...

U.S. Thanksgiving is over and I do have to be thankful  for a lot.

As for  being thankful with a lower case T...well we have is forum, don't we? Yes.

I own a particular type of old truck. It isn't worth much, and it isn't really rare or anything, but it had a 30 year run, and it's last incarnation only lasted a few short years. This is the second such truck that I have owned, as I have an affinity towards them.

Having searched for data and repair info about my truck, I joined a truck forum that often came up in my earch results. That GM- oriented truck club shall remain nameless.

I did learn some info, but I also learned how well this forum is run without the mods being heavy-handed, and how quickly one receives polite and correct replies here.

Posts there go unanswered for days at a time on this other forum, maybe because of the amount of "outside work" associated with trucks?

However, the main issue I had was in posting my year, make, and model, and being told- both incorrectly and condescendingly - that my model truck never existed for the years I've outlined. Again, not downing the guy for not knowing, but he actually made a snied remark to the effect that everyone knew that model didn't exist during those years, and how only "the confused"  (obviously me) didn't know that. I had practicality just joined that forum. Something like 15 posts in.  He commented from a position of superiority and in the process made a backhanded remark meant to make me look foolish to some insider group among them on that forum.

Only, he was dead wrong.

And it was high noon in some tumbleweed town in the west.

I mean, exactly what the hell have I been driving to work for the last twelve or thirteen years?! And camping. And hiking. And kayaking. Yeah, I was right and I knew it. I'd had two of these already.

Rightly or wrongly, I unleashed on the guy, politely and tongue in cheek as allowable while still making my point strongly. I explained technical aspects nd name plate in for from the three final years of that name plate production, and then called him out for being a 5+ year member, some sort of super user or something, and not knowing what he is talking about, while being a veritable Jackweed  to a new member. What a character. I mean, I'm no thin-skinned wuss, but dammit I'm from Boston! He could kiss my Royal Irish a$$!

A fellow member chimed in and called for calm while also posting an article outlining facts that showed I was right. I also let them know in no uncertain terms that a guy wasn't likely to want to come back to a little fiefdom like that, and could find someplace else to be and actually get correct info, given by genuinely nice people.

I suppose you could all be a bunch of jamokes, but what do I know?

To his credit, that guy made a gushing apology. And not privately to me either, right there in the same thread where he had been a scutcha. Frankly, I figured if anything, he might have given me a casual " my bad" or something, but no, he jumped in with both feet and gave a full on unabashed apology. Or he is being facetious. Now I can't tell if his mother made him.

At any rate, I what I'm sayin' the long way around is, folks here are generally nice, and generally have good info. That is not the case everywhere, even in a group of supposedly like minded people.

Good job Grant and Mods for creating and maintaining a place to come to get a constant stream of good info, and in a friendly atmosphere.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:47:30 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: That'll do, MTO. That'll do.
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:56:02 AM
Too many forums are pigsties, and to call them snake pits would be an insult to gentleman and lady vipers and rattlesnakes. Even scorpions would feel offended by such comparisons, and socially leaning cockroaches scuttle off to better dark, dank corners.

I've been at many that over time just got OLD. Old and tired, and afraid of controversy because people's feelings get hurt =. Sometimes management demands brand loyalty to a sponsor and starts fights with the competition of said sponsor.

MTO, we have fights. We sometimes call eachother names that at the moment we felt, but after a few days (weeks) we'll regret. Heck, I"ve reached the point where if people were more local, dueling with nerf guns was my mood towards them.

At MTO, we do stupid. Sometimes it's silly stupid, sometimes it's embarrassing stupid.

But never have I found a finer hive of scum and villainy than MTO. We have gentlemen and louts, cads and wisemen. And wisenheimers. (And with this many members from New Jersey, statistically a 50/50 chance of a wiseguy.) We are the example of how it should be done. Even when we get political and heated, we're still (frostily) polite, and it rarely reduces to a shouting match, and people say they're sorry and they move on. (Might not forget- questioning the hook is heresy.) I've seen a lot of generosity here, not just to the forum but also towards eachother. I'm pretty sure that if I disappeared for month, there would be PMs asking where I was, maybe even a whole thread.

My mother doesn't get worried unless I disappear for two months.

Stupid questions- no such thing, just silly questions, and we'll chuckle while we straighten you out.

And part of that is because lets face it, our tools don't care. Your dog or your cat might care if you're a twit. Your steel doesn't. We're here because of our steel.

So yes, something to be thankful for.

BTW, Thundah, what is this ghost truck of yours? We might know something about it. We are like that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:57:37 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:04:28 AM
I got very... VERY sick of forums about certain interests of mine where there were either 'experts' who liked to make new folks feel like idiots, or weird group-thinks that would latch on hard and if you didn't agree, you'd get crapped on.

Early on in my days here, I picked a fight... about can openers. Yeah, THAT is about as intense as it gets here. :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:59 AM
I've been at various forums since the early 90s and I can only agree that MT is definately one of the best.

As for some people on internet talking loud, with completely unfounded rudeness and arrogance that seems to come with the terrain. That is uncalled for even if they should happen to be right once in a while. I'd like to quote what someone almost said "Forgive them because they have no idea what they are talking about". (Almost quote - can I trademark that?)

An online sociologist I know find peoples behaviour on internet endlessly interesting; given the veil of thin anonymity does peoples real personality get across more clear or less clear?

That said to err is human and we all do it. At least that guy seem to realize - some just double down instead.

(I remember being wrong myself once. Some lady here who apparently has a photographic memory of me being wrong would likely say that is just due to my bad memory.... I have no worries though; she keeps reminding me of any and all wrongs!  :D)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:13:08 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:19:50 AM
I dont do FB or any other forums but I have lurked.  Its sad to see the BS.  MTO member and proud of it  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:34:56 AM
Iron,

Like I said. This truck is nothing special. It's actually an SUV, from back when they were built on truck platforms.

It is the last of big 2-door Chevy Blazers. For the 92 -94 model years, they were modeled after the newest short wheelbase pickup, as they had been since they were invented. There is no 'removable top, and no power window in the tail gate and has an independent Front. But it gained a luggage rack on top and a few creature comforts. They also went from being marked the K5 Blazer (1969-1991, like sheriff Brodie' s in Jaws) to the K1500 Blazer mirroring the pickup trucks same rename.

They only made the K1500 Blazer for three years. 92-94. For some reason, the 95 - 99 model years are called the Tahoe, which then began being offered as a 4 door version, which is the direction they went after that.

00O0O_cObCHaTvjb7_600x450.jpg
* 00O0O_cObCHaTvjb7_600x450.jpg (Filesize: 14.46 KB)
00H0H_gT3Snp4zzab_600x450.jpg
* 00H0H_gT3Snp4zzab_600x450.jpg (Filesize: 17.84 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:46 AM
Top is interior. Next is  front (thats not my license plate)

Next is side then the rear end
00T0T_jC3icTJaA2M_600x450.jpg
* 00T0T_jC3icTJaA2M_600x450.jpg (Filesize: 16.51 KB)
00k0k_jnnayXXUl7x_600x450.jpg
* 00k0k_jnnayXXUl7x_600x450.jpg (Filesize: 17.83 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:47:32 AM
I had another one just like it in black. Again, nothing special. But what a work horse. I can be gone for days and be self sufficient in that. I can lower the back bench seat and its the size of a queen size bed, if I need to sleep in it while camping or on a multi day trip.

My avatar is my dog in the back seat, looking forward to adventure.

Anyway, it's a bit of a rolling project but I like these. Would get an even older one if I found it under the right conditions. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:50:00 AM
Seems like I remember when they actually added a Tahoe emblem to the Big Blazer similar to the Silverado/Scottsdale (eventually doing away with the Scottsdale in preference to the WT Chevy Work Trucks) platforms they use to use :think: Then I guess they just split it into the small Blazer and the Tahoe in the years you mentioned :think: It also seems like they went to the WT around 94 or 95 as well :think:

Also MTO is my favorite place on the internet :dd: In case you guys didn't know :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:08 AM
My first vehicle was a short wheel base, 2 wheel drive 1991 Chevy Silverado in blue :dd: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:52:32 AM
this is the best forum in the net regarding respect, mate-erism and good, eductaed discussions.
No other forum has come close to that, especially American forums (IMO).

After 4 years of contributing, being an active and helpful (to newbies and others) member and loyal, every-day logging and posting, this month I was banned from BladeForums. The first time in my life that I am banned from any forum, and I've been in at least a dozen of them for very long.

Not going back there, even if I could.  :ahhh
And I didn't even have my pride hurt, nor did I attack anybody else. It was just a difference in opinion and line of thinking with the (95% American) mods, better known members and classic "I'm gonna make a world out of this comment" kind of people there,.

not a criticism to any American member at all, just a common thing I've found in my experience on the net

:MTO: ...
  It just rocks!!!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:11:36 AM
Early on in my days here, I picked a fight... about can openers.
Did you open a can of worms with one?  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 11:56:45 AM

:facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 12:00:22 PM
this is the best forum in the net regarding respect, mate-erism and good, eductaed discussions.
No other forum has come close to that, especially American forums (IMO).

After 4 years of contributing, being an active and helpful (to newbies and others) member and loyal, every-day logging and posting, this month I was banned from BladeForums. The first time in my life that I am banned from any forum, and I've been in at least a dozen of them for very long.

Not going back there, even if I could.  :ahhh
And I didn't even have my pride hurt, nor did I attack anybody else. It was just a difference in opinion and line of thinking with the (95% American) mods, better known members and classic "I'm gonna make a world out of this comment" kind of people there,.

not a criticism to any American member at all, just a common thing I've found in my experience on the net

:MTO: ...
  It just rocks!!!

I have always loved the diversity of the mods here :salute: When I first joined we had just as much diversity as we do today (Grant has always made sure of the diversity :like:) :cheers: If people would just respect each other out in the world half as much as we do at MTO then we would be a much better world and probably already be traveling the stars :o :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:13 PM

She tried, but nobody took the bait...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 01:10:37 PM
The problem with MTO is every thread gets derailed to Alpha Centauri and back. So it is basically impossible to get in to a good fight. As soon as you start one, some smurf comes along and makes in to something Monty Python could be proud of.   :ahhh

But seriously, I am often surprised how bad things get in some forums compared to my experience in this place.  :cheers:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 01:13:13 PM

Stop fishing for bad puns!  :twak:

:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 01:18:16 PM

Trolling.....
Nate

SEND IT!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 01:32:44 PM

Trolling.....
Geez, its gone beyond fishing now, you awl are trawling for bad puns.  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 02:07:24 PM
This thread is really floundering...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 02:40:26 PM
I tried to get the argument going, but he apparently had bigger fish to fry.

I swear, I mean, SWEAR someone JUST said something about threads getting hijacked by silliness and going all Monty Python.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 02:45:44 PM
The MTO way.
Nate

SEND IT!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 02:50:57 PM

I swear, I mean, SWEAR someone JUST said something about threads getting hijacked by silliness and going all Monty Python.
(Image removed from quote.)

Well, to be fair, I never said that I wasn't one of those smurfs from time to time...  :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 02:54:28 PM
Mentioned this before, but I'm endlessly thankful for everything I've learned on the Internet and in Forums, they were my enablers in the best hobbies I've practiced.

That said........  :facepalm:

There is only one other forum with the same vibe as MTO that I've ever experience, a certain very sexy fly fishing site.  8)

I'm ashamed to admit I no longer frequent that forum, 2 reasons, no way the name of the site gets through a corporate web filter, and secondly my local fishing opportunities have been reduced to almost zero due to drought and other factors, so it's a sad topic for me, and I have nothing to contribute.
I made friends across the world on that forum and I still have contact with many, last week the owner of the site invited me to join him jungle fishing in Malaysia next year!  :gimme:

Funny enough there was an excellent fly fishing forum that was South Africa based, the owner even had a little TV show, and I fully credit him and the show for getting me started....
Will never forget, got home drunk 2am one morning, turn on the tv and here's the Safa catching a carp on fly........never looked back once I knew it was possible...

Sadly he was severely disabled in a car accident, the show and the forum didn't survive....

Next hobby was bonsai, and man, talk about a bunch of arrogant and conceited old farts....... :facepalm:
As always just as many nice people, but the worst of the worst was to be found on the bonsai forums.......

MTO......... :whistle:

Found this place just before buying a Rebar, and found some really top class peeps  :salute:

Only problem is, as far as I can work out the only thing I've learnt here is how to part with money!  :rofl:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 03:31:14 PM
MTs will unite the human race. I firmly believe this to be fact. :D

Thank you to everyone who has, is, and will keep this a wonderful place to share, discuss, and politely debate the endlessly diverse world of Multi Tools!

Now, forewarning, when I post about the WrenchHead I just received, all barries and brand loyalty will be thrown out the windows. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 03:49:29 PM
1-  MTO has been a major labor of love for me over the years, and while it has had it's frustrations, it is overall something I am VERY proud of.  We've overcome a lot over the years, and we've largely done it together, helping each other through the bad times and sharing in all of the good times.  Sooner or later, Multitool Island will exist, and you are all invited to come and stay as long as you like, and, from there we will stage our plans for world domina... uh... I mean we will show the rest of the world how to do things properly.

2-  I hate those forums where everyone is too busy smurf swinging and He With The Most Posts is King.  Hell, I have the most posts and I pay the bills for this place and I still don't know a fraction of the stuff that many people here do.  They say "If you can, do.  If you can't, teach."  I like to add the phrase "If you can't even do that, start a forum."  So I did.  :P

3-  That is a gorgeous truck Thundah!  If $$ were no object and I could have an old truck on the road I'd probably opt for a '73 or '74 K5 Jimmy with the full removable top, just like the one I grew up with.  My parents bought it shortly after I was born and finally sold it (almost dead, damned East Coast rust!) when I was 15.  In Yuba Gold with a white top, 350 auto, even though the one I grew up with only had a 305.

That is the standard in my mind for all other trucks to live up to.

4.  Because no one is expecting it....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 03:54:03 PM
MT.O should have a new slogan

MTs, some will blow you away, some have to be blown away :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
Did somebody say "thread derail?"

Nothing works as good for that as bananas! Right Fuzzy?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 05:23:38 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Well, to be fair, I never said that I wasn't one of those smurfs from time to time...  :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 05:29:49 PM
Now I'm trying to picture how bad the arguments could be on a bonsai forum .

:think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD