Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Forging again

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Forging again
on: December 01, 2017, 01:07:55 PM
I realised recently how many health issues I had this years, ridiculous for a  relatively healthy person like me, but that's age I guess  :facepalm:

From a tennis elbow to some unmentionables, worst affected was my 2 year old knife making hobby, and thanks to the tennis elbow everything from forging to sanding was out of the question......that covers knife making  :oops:

Anyway, only forging work recently was on a bearing race, I had in mind making a fixed blade copy of the Spyderco Lil Nilaka, something funny happened and the blade hardened somehow somewhere during the process, and after a lot of work and close to the end the worst happened...
I was center punching to drill the holes for the handle, 2nd punch the blade snapped in two.....still looking for the handle part.

What went considerably better is a big, busted old ball peen hammer that my cousin got at his work, deal was he does the hard work with the hammer and we make him a hatchet.
I have to say forging with an assistant is a pleasure, and we got excellent results.
Used a different method to my first effort which was also a much smaller claw hammer, welded on a rebar handle which we moved around as required. 
I would hold the piece and direct, cousin swung the hammer.  Every 2nd or 3rd heat I would just straighten things up a bit.
The huge advantage was we could work much more accurate, so the hole for the handle is not distorted much at all.

Cousin is doing the finishing work at home, but we hope to heat treat before Xmas.   :viking: Big ball peen hammer, mighty weapon   :like:

But that's not the reason for my post, happy accident happened this week, and I'm very excited......

:woohoo:

I was at a local supplier buying brass to make guards, got to talking with the owner about a fe other knife making and materiel related things, Damascus, and he mention Bohler K460...... :think:
Fortunately something rang a bell, my favourite knife maker in South Africa used K460 for his monster Bowies, and I remember him mentioning it's Bohler's version of O1.

I'm a bit starved for choice in steel, leaf springs, bearings and old files and my staple, and now I have a 1m long 20mm round bar  of O1 at home ready and waiting for tomorrow!  8)

I've done research on the heat treat and I don't have the right equipment to get the optimal heat treat on O1, but I'm sure I can get it pretty good.....

Seems to be a finicky steel with a narrow forging temperature, but fingers crossed!  :cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Forging again
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:20:23 PM
Best of luck man. If anyone can work that steel, it is you. Also, hope you get to feeling better.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:54 PM

Good luck with it G  :salute:

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:21 PM
Sounds exciting :o Can't wait to see what you come up with :like:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:19:41 AM
Tennis elbow goes away after awhile from my experience, hope you feel better. Getting old is no picnic, my body is falling apart more and more everyday.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:36:02 PM
Glad to hear you're back at it !   :tu:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:11:07 PM
 :tu:    :popcorn:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:01:34 AM
I'm terrible, but I'll remedy that later today with some photos....  :facepalm:

For some obscure reason I decided Saturday was the day to mod my forge to hopefully get a bigger hot spot.  That at least worked, but I nearly killed myself, I was so sore on Sunday from wrestling with that lump of metal it's not funny......

K460=O1=a booldy smurf of a steel  :facepalm:

First step is turning the round bar into flat stock, bit problematic since I don't know how much steel will give you how much knife.....

I had about 15cm flattened, got distracted for a second and when I took out the piece it just fell off - I was warned overheated O1 turns to cottage cheese  :facepalm:

Probably should've called it quits, but I carried on.  There was clearly something wrong with the fried steel at the tip, so I cut that off and carefully started again.

I got about 20cm drawn out and started putting in bevels, but honestly the steel wasn't talking to a.k.a I had no plan.

Wisely decided to put that piece down, but because there was still charcoal left I did a bit more work on an old Nicholson half round file.
The half rounds are useless for stock removal, and I have many, so this one is also an experiment.
I'm flattening the file and then one edge to form the spine, and that's coming along nicely, lots of work but good news considering all the material I have....

No doubt, the files and bearing steel in general is much nicer and easier to forge, will have to use that O1 but not looking forward to it.....

:worthless:

Will fix that a bit later  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:26 AM
Tennis elbow goes away after awhile from my experience, hope you feel better. Getting old is no picnic, my body is falling apart more and more everyday.

That's it......rest and wait......which I initially didn't do.

Instead I put on some Metal, thought about people I don't like and took hand sanding to the next level.......

....and paid the price  :oops:

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:38:00 PM
Forge mod to get a bigger hot spot.....guess I'm a grinder......

....not a welder.  :facepalm: It worked  :whistle:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:44:24 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:43:32 PM
Where I stopped with the O1 and the piece that burnt off

Nicholson file was much easier and much more forgiving....don't meet your heroes  guess  :facepalm:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:52:24 AM
very cool,  keep posting

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:14:19 AM
nice to see you're back at it. there is a way to fix tennis elbow and golf elbow for most people (same things pretty much only different tendons are inflamed). one way is to stretch the elbow in a flexed position with bands, a weight (hammer will do) or a pvc pipe (wooden shafts also work so you could use a broom). another way that complements this is to work the opposite muscle a bit more which in this case would be the triceps if I remember correctly
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:27 PM
Forge mod to get a bigger hot spot.....guess I'm a grinder......

....not a welder.  :facepalm: It worked  :whistle:

Just remember the welder's creed.
Grinds and paint makes me the welder I ain't.

As long as it work man it is all good.
Nate

SEND IT!

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 10:36:04 AM

Just remember the welder's creed.
Grinds and paint makes me the welder I ain't.

As long as it work man it is all good.

:tu:

There was a meme of FB about grinders vs welders, very funny but I can't remember the punchline  :facepalm: ......made me a bit sensitive  :rofl:

I bought the welder this year, also my first time ever welding.  There is a massive learning curve I go through every time I take the bloody thing out, seems I'm not using it enough to remember the lessons.....

I need to get MUCH better before I can build a canopy for my Suzuki though.....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%