Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has there ever been an indication?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Has there ever been an indication?
on: December 26, 2017, 09:16:34 AM
I recently read on MTO that Victorinox had once owned Bear & Son, and that that's how they came to be in the plyers based tool game. Clearly Bear started making the Jaws after seeing the PST.

Personally, I take that to mean that Vic must have had an A$$-pucker moment, and stood up and taken notice of what Tim Leatherman accomplished in such a short time, and the quality that went along with it. But Bear must have been an easier purchase than Leatherman would have been. I mean, if Gerber, Bear, and Swiss tool came out in the early to mid 90's, Leatherman had only been available on the market for a little over a decade, and had clearly changed the lay of the land drastically.

I've carried a Swiss Army Knife seemingly forever, but I remember being introduced to the Leatherman in the late 90's. It took a lot for me to believe there could b something better than the Swiss Army Knife out there, but once I tried it, I was hooked (even though my first one was a knock off).

Has there ever been any other sort of indication that Vic could be interested in acquiring Leatherman in the future, a la Disney acquiring Lucasfilm?

What might happen to Leatherman when Tim fully retires? Does he have kids or some "top employee" or business partner who are already helping to, or who might want to run the place in the future? Or, whenever he is ready, does it look like he may just sell it off for a huge lump sum and sail away?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:23:06 AM by ThundahBeagle »

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Re: Has there ever been an indication?
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:21:52 AM
 The fun thing about Disney is that it actually was acquired by Pixar, who owned Lucasfilm already at that moment . However I don’t really think Victorinox will attemp to acquire Leatherman in the nearest future. Both companies seem to be doing pretty well and developing in close yet different directions.
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:50:42 AM
Tim's son is already running some of the business now :cheers:

Tim told me that the first job he gave his son was to put the snap rings on the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh He then laughed and said I was either going to make him or break him with the company :rofl: He said that job didn't go over well with him but he stuck with the company and I think went to college and now runs some R&D and part of the business end of the company :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:17:15 PM by Poncho65 »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:12:28 PM
I recently read on MTO that Victorinox had once owned Bear & Son, and that that's how they came to be in the plyers based tool game. Clearly Bear started making the Jaws after seeing the PST.

Personally, I take that to mean that Vic must have had an A$$-pucker moment, and stood up and taken notice of what Tim Leatherman accomplished in such a short time, and the quality that went along with it. But Bear must have been an easier purchase than Leatherman would have been. I mean, if Gerber, Bear, and Swiss tool came out in the early to mid 90's, Leatherman had only been available on the market for a little over a decade, and had clearly changed the lay of the land drastically.

The story I heard was that Vic bought Bear & Sons specifically to acquire the patents covering outside opening component tools, and once they owned the patents they didn't actually need Bear & Sons any more, so they sold the company on.  So Vic wouldn't have had a compelling reason to buy Leatherman as LM didn't have the patents Vic wanted.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 12:56:08 PM
Tim's son is already running some of the business now :cheers:

Tim told me that the first job he gave his son was to put the snap rings on the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh He then laughed and said I was either going to make him or break him with the company :rofl: He said that job didn't go over well with him but he stuck with the company and I think went to college and now runs some R&D and part of the business end of the company :cheers:

that's similar to what he told me when I met him, back then. I was curious and asked, not like I wanted to take his place in the company but still...   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:25:11 PM
Here is Chako's post on Bear

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

..... And ..... what they said

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:19:57 PM