Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hard time sharpening

Offline aikon2014

Hard time sharpening
on: February 20, 2018, 12:08:05 AM
I recently inherited  a Victorinox Foresten from my wifes grandfather, it was used very little and looked almost new. I guess he got it relatively recently before he past. Anyway, I really have a hard time getting it razor/scary sharp. I never have any problems with any of my Leatherman blades or my kitchen blades to get them to scary sharp. I have sharpened knives basically all my life and I worked as a chef for several years and have sharpened more knives than I can count on both diamond stones, japanese waterstones and ceramic and glass stones, as well as systems like spyderco sharpmaker and so on. Im not saying Im the best sharpener (I am most certainly not) but I feel that I have enough experience to getting the blade sharp. I used my Fällkniven DC4 on first the diamond side, then the ceramic side, than I took to the fine ceramic on the Fällkniven CC4 and after that stropping with compound and after that stropping with raw leather. It will barely shave hair.

I got my first SAK when I was like 5-6 years old from my grandfather as a birthday gift and I used it heavily during fishing and sharpened it so many times over the years, but I never remember having any problems getting it sharp (I still have it for nostalgic reasons).

These days I'm a Leatherman person, but it feels as such a waste not to use the forester when I'm fishing since it was my wifes grandfathers. And I hope to give it to one of my future kids in a hope that they will find the outdoors (and hopefully fishing) as rewarding as I do.

Any tips on why I have a hard time getting it sharp?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Hard time sharpening
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:14:42 AM
I wish I could help, but 1) It sounds like you're a better sharpener than I am, and 2) the sharpness you're describing is all the sharper I ever take mine.

The only thing that springs to mind is the angle on the edge, but that's 100% speculation. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:35:26 AM
I wish I could help, but 1) It sounds like you're a better sharpener than I am, and 2) the sharpness you're describing is all the sharper I ever take mine.

The only thing that springs to mind is the angle on the edge, but that's 100% speculation. Sorry I couldn't help more.

No worries, thank you for taking your time to read and reply :)

Angle isn't the issue. I'm just baffled why it won't work with SAK when I can do it with every other knife I own and all my friends knives as well. Hmm... I don't really understand this, and I love to learn new things, so if I don't know why, I want to learn why and get better :)

Offline aikon2014

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:39:37 AM
Btw it's the OCD demon in me that won't let me rest until the knives I sharpen are as sharp as I want it to be, do it bothers me when I can't achieve that.  :D  >:D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:02 AM
Victorinox blade steel is a bit on the soft side. I haven't been able to get a SAK blade to the same point I do my other knives either, so I suspect the steel material and lack of grind have something to do with it. Somebody may chime in who can cut molecules in half with their SAK, but it sure as smurf won't be me. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:22 AM
Take a loop or something to magnify the apex.  My guess is it might very well be a rounded over edge.  What my guess is is when stropping you've slightly round your apex.  Use a harder substrate, many use balsa wood no leather.  If you are using leather it should be firn with little nap.  Use a very light tough, almost no pressure and don't spend a bunch of time stropping.  You'll need to correct the edge now then re-strop.

SAK steel is on the soft side so a lighter hand will be needed.  What works for harder steels may not always work with SAKs.  Re set your bevels and check the apex.  Is it how you like it and are now just refining?  If yes then lightly strop with only a few strokes on each side.  You'll have to play around a bit some.  You'll get there.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:35 AM
I'm a molecule cutter and can attest to the fact that SAKs can get just as sharp as any other knives. While I tend to avoid doing this, it will get a sharp edge: just sharpen one side with the diamonds until you can feel on obvious burr (the edge folding over to the other side) and then do the other side the same way and then use very light touches alternating sides to remove any burr.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:46 AM
Thank you for all the tips! It makes a bit more sense now! :)
Had no idea that the steel is softer than others.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:51:02 AM by aikon2014 »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:21:07 AM
I have a Fallkniven DC4 myself, but i'm not a big fan of it for sharpening a SAK. I know other people here love them, so it's probably a matter of personal preference.

I sharpen my SAKs with a set of sharpening stones varying in grit. I have a set similar to this one. I don't always use all the grits, when a knife only needs a bit of touching up, I may only use 2000 and 5000. If the blade is chipped, burred, extremely blunt or otherwise in bad condition I start with the roughest grit and work my way up to 5000.

I always finish with stropping.

This will get your blades razor sharp.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:08:26 PM
The only thing I can add, it is an old timers trick. Try stroping on a smooth knothole free piece of 2x4.. There is a learning curve to this one as the amount of pressure used and the angle you drag the blade make a big difference. Drag the blade at about a 60 degree angle instead of 90. I will add hold the blade at 90 just dont drag at 90.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:10:56 PM by Butch »
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Offline aikon2014

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:47 PM
O just tried stroping it with according to my hands and feel, no pressure at all. I usually use the weight of the knife as pressure, but this time I almost had nothing there, and it actually improved!

Thanks for all the tips!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:21 PM
With SAKs I use ceramic rods/sticks like this but since I started stropping on old leather strips/belts I had a few years ago I also reached a new level of sharpness  :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:44:49 PM
I used to strop endlessly.  I had to learn that enough was enough on some knives.  I re beveled a Swisschamp I had and wow what a flipping scalpel.  While Vic sends their knives really sharp this one was well beyond.  I finished the edge off with green compound then Diamond spray.  I've never had a SAK this sharp before.  I typically use my Spyderco ceramic rods then a quick strop on green compound on a hard leather strop.  Maybe 10 passes each side but not much more. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD