Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is Ebay finished?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Is Ebay finished?
on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:16 PM
Has everyone sold all of their crap to everyone else and there is no longer a market? The reason I ask is that I have a few saved Ebay searches for things like a SOG CrossGrip and Sebertool/Sebertech M4 and they would usually show at least one result a week even if the price asked was silly. But lately none of my searches have shown anything for at least a few weeks. Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Is Ebay finished?
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:52:55 PM
No, plenty o stuff.

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:12 PM
I think the US market may be more dynamic than here in euroland, but It seems like the decent stuff is mostly being sold by resellers that cater to the well-off collector segment.
Many of the things I would be inclined to bid on is being offered at BiN prices up to double of what I am prepared to pay.  :oops:

So instead I tend to bid on mod fodder with interesting tools and a couple of major defects that scare off collectors and keep the prices low(ish)
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:30 PM
I have been watching ebay like a hawk for about 2 months now, with specific searches like 'Victorinox', 'Leatherman', and common misspellings of those, as well as very broad searches like 'Knife' and 'Plier'.

I know I haven't seen EVERYTHING that I'd be interested in, but I've seen a LOT of it.

I've seen a couple sebertool M4s, for certain, but only a couple. I can't really say if I've seen a single Crossgrip. I think maybe most of those that were available have now settled in the hands of collectors, and aren't going anywhere.

Obviously, the IDL T10 and Crosscuts are much more common.

As someone who has hunted HARD on ebay for the last two months, I can absolutely assure you that there are still insane bargains to be found. Maybe just not those two tools with any great frequency.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:11:53 PM by Lynn LeFey »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:29:48 PM
I mostly find eBay is just a way to buy cheap stuff from China these days.  Or maybe that's just me, mostly only using it to buy cheap stuff from China?   :think:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:27:27 PM
I have not seen my favorite SAK sellers post anything in months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:44 PM
I mostly find eBay is just a way to buy cheap stuff from China these days.  Or maybe that's just me, mostly only using it to buy cheap stuff from China?   :think:

Def
eBay or Amazon?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 12:01:27 AM
I've gotten plenty of good stuff at good prices in the last year.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 12:05:42 AM

Def
eBay or Amazon?

EBay.  I don't have an amazon account.

But yeah, same result, isn't it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 12:36:39 AM

I've seen a couple sebertool M4s, for certain, but only a couple. I can't really say if I've seen a single Crossgrip. I think maybe most of those that were available have now settled in the hands of collectors, and aren't going anywhere.

This ^  (I have to admit that I have taken some out of circulation, but when/if I ever decide to sell some tools that could put quite a few CrossGrips back on the market)

Plus it has been quite a few years since either was made, so some are broken, some are lost/forgotten, and all of these factors reduce the pool that is being offered for sale.

The Craftsman 45505 relabel of the M4 had a dramatic surge in price a while back, and that flushed a few out of hiding.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:55:11 AM

This ^  (I have to admit that I have taken some out of circulation, but when/if I ever decide to sell some tools that could put quite a few CrossGrips back on the market)

Plus it has been quite a few years since either was made, so some are broken, some are lost/forgotten, and all of these factors reduce the pool that is being offered for sale.

The Craftsman 45505 relabel of the M4 had a dramatic surge in price a while back, and that flushed a few out of hiding.

Yeah, I never quite understood the meteoric rise of the Craftsman/Sebertool rebrands.  Also agree with the assessment on Crossgrips. Don't see them often and the final bid price is always at a premium.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:38 AM
I've gotten plenty of good stuff at good prices in the last year.
There's your answer - Steve has been buying it all.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 02:20:02 AM
 :rofl:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 02:25:32 AM

Def

Yup, I've just bought M3 x 4mm SS screws for a hell of a lot less that I can get them for in the UK, can't buy knives and multis on the bay here
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 02:25:59 AM
Show content
Rumour has it a new online trading site is opening up called Stevebay....  :whistle:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 08:19:07 AM
this new online store is what killed eBay :

https://store.multitool.org/
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
this new online store is what killed eBay :

https://store.multitool.org/

If that's the case then eBay was a lot weaker than we were lead to believe!  :D

Def

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:45 PM
Search ebay under a general term like 'swiss knife' and you'll get 16,000 hits. Half of it is junk, but there's no shortage.

Some recent ebay buys. The Gerber Stockman was listed as a 'swiss army'

IMG_9377.JPG
* IMG_9377.JPG (Filesize: 26.56 KB)
IMG_9391.jpg
* IMG_9391.jpg (Filesize: 103.31 KB)
IMG_9395.JPG
* IMG_9395.JPG (Filesize: 29.31 KB)
IMG_9399.JPG
* IMG_9399.JPG (Filesize: 36.31 KB)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:29:04 PM by ColoSwiss »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
In all honesty I do not buy that many knives/tools from eBay these days, as I usually buy new, but if I search for something I can usually find it and usually (after a few days) it will also be at a decent price.
I am not looking for anything specific regularly.  GEC knives and LE SAKs are usually found in dealers (actual shops or online shops). I do get the chance to visit several shops.

The prices on many items have gone up and so has the shipping cost in the EU and from the US, but there is not anything I desperately need.

I do buy a lot of bicycle stuff, bracelets, toys etc. from eBay, the usual big Chinese sites, the various Amazon sites and tend to price compare them all before buying anything. The MTO store is usually pretty good on pricing too and you get tools that have actually been touched by Def :) .

I also have various items that I should consider selling, but never bother....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 12:16:31 PM
Search ebay under a general term like 'swiss knife' and you'll get 16,000 hits. Half of it is junk, but there's no shortage.

Some recent ebay buys. The Gerber Stockman was listed as a 'swiss army'

General Term!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:43 PM
Luckily for me, I still don't have a Paypal account and canceled my unused-for-years credit card some time ago. If not, I'd probably bring eBay back from the dead...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD