Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So, you want to start playing Dungeons and Dragons (Tabletop role playing)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
I am not participating. I already have 4 - 6 people I try to herd like cats in my D&D game every weekend (or every two or three, due to scheduling conflicts).

I will be available to help with any questions, though.

hr Offline styx

so you want those questions going 1 by 1 like an oral exam, all written out like a written exam or generalised for essay answers?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

so you want those questions going 1 by 1 like an oral exam, all written out like a written exam or generalised for essay answers?

More like "Okay, so how do I apply my proficiency bonus again"?
Or "Can I wear padded armor under Chain armor and have the armor bonuses stack"?
Or "If I am both Advantaged by one thing and Disadvantaged by another, how many dice do I roll and how do I figure out if I take the high or low"?

If you have those kinds of questions, I can help.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Or, I Have a downy growth on my chest and lately having been dreaming about seahorses a lot.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Back when I was 13ish our one neighbor got into this with his friends, I was kinda curious but of course I was too young to play, but I never got into it. Now next school year when the little guy is heading to high school and not at home, they have a D&D after school club and he wants to try it out! Moms kinda thrilled, not just for the fact of going to school but this club, yet I still have no clue about this stuff..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline styx

More like "Okay, so how do I apply my proficiency bonus again"?
Or "Can I wear padded armor under Chain armor and have the armor bonuses stack"?
Or "If I am both Advantaged by one thing and Disadvantaged by another, how many dice do I roll and how do I figure out if I take the high or low"?

If you have those kinds of questions, I can help.

first I should get a clue on what those things are, for the most part

Or, I Have a downy growth on my chest and lately having been dreaming about seahorses a lot.

you had to eat the mushrooms, didn't you?

Back when I was 13ish our one neighbor got into this with his friends, I was kinda curious but of course I was too young to play, but I never got into it. Now next school year when the little guy is heading to high school and not at home, they have a D&D after school club and he wants to try it out! Moms kinda thrilled, not just for the fact of going to school but this club, yet I still have no clue about this stuff..
JR

so this is your chance to learn

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Here's my character:

Species: Ewok Fuzzy tree Dwarf (What sort of adventure are we running anyway? I may have to make some significant tweaks :ahhh )

Name: Warwick Pabs.

Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom etc: :shrug: Let me get back to you?

About: Works for the History Museum, usually as an assistant to a renowned professor, his specialty is mainly studying old objects that were the olden days result of attempting to combine several tools into one tool.
The most commonly found were made by the "Swiss", it is theorized that is because because of their rust resistance. His hobby is creating replica versions of these tools.
Currently he is [REDACTED]

Trivia: Ewok names are backwards. Surname first, then personal name. The middle name is still in the middle though

Quirks:
Has messy hair.
Is very hard of hearing without his electronic implants.
Can't resist when he sees a shiny gadget.
Takes showers once a month(Still more often than a dog!)
etc
etc etc

What am I missing?  :D

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Here's my character:

Species: Ewok Fuzzy tree Dwarf (What sort of adventure are we running anyway? I may have to make some significant tweaks :ahhh )

About: Works for the History Museum, usually as an assistant to a renowned professor, his specialty is mainly studying old objects that were the olden days result of attempting to combine several tools into one tool.
The most commonly found were made by the "Swiss", it is theorized that is because because of their rust resistance. His hobby is creating replica versions of these tools.

Trivia: Ewok names are backwards. Surname first, then personal name. The middle name is still in the middle though

Quirks:
Has messy hair.
etc
etc etc

Dwarf?! Who you calling dwarf!?!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Here's my character:

Quirks:
Has messy hair.
etc
etc etc

My character.  :megaslap:
Not everything is about you, you know.  :D

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Here's my character:

Quirks:
Has messy hair.
etc
etc etc

My character.  :megaslap:
Not everything is about you, you know.  :D

It is to me!  :ahhh

Edit: Also, if you're going to start dressing up as an Ewok Fuzzy Tree Midget... then I think that pretty much nails it - you're the new MTo Mascot!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:19:59 PM by Fuzzbucket »

hr Offline styx

So Warwick is good with book stuff. A bard I take it?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
...I don't know.... :facepalm:
Same class as Indiana Jones would be in.  :D

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

this is why I got that notion

The bard uses music and magic to support and inspire the rest of the party. Bards can specialize in the College of Lore, which allows for a more versatile character who can learn some spells and become proficient in the player's choice of skills, or the College of Valor, which makes the bard more martial and combat-oriented, or a number of other directions based on their focus.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Do many D & D players use Lego figures and bricks to play? With a small collection of bits you could build all sorts of scenarios and the minifigs are a great size for tabletop play - No painting required either - unkless you really want to.

Here's my character, Tricky Tim, Donkey Herder and part time Thief, and his plucky dog Angela.
20180130_141723.jpg
* 20180130_141723.jpg (Filesize: 210.92 KB)

hr Offline styx

looks like you have it all figured out

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
looks like you have it all figured out
Bitter experience would say otherwise Styx.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
To begin with, we should choose what setting the game will be set on ( sword and sorcery fantasy, middle ages, is there magic in it, what races, etc.)

From that point, we start to shape it, adding more details and laying the basis of the story.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hr Offline styx

To begin with, we should choose what setting the game will be set on ( sword and sorcery fantasy, middle ages, is there magic in it, what races, etc.)

From that point, we start to shape it, adding more details and laying the basis of the story.

as long as it allows me to hit people and creatures with axe and or kukri like objects, I'm happy. unless we go Star Wars universe 'cause in that situation I want a WESTAR-35 at my side 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Lol!

We used to wind our DM up. After a very profitable Runequest campaign, we put all our earnings into buying and operating a cake shop instead of starting a new quest. Did it for a few weeks until we got bored, and bless our DM he didn't get a horde of Dwarves or Goblins to burn it down around our ears - he let us get it out of our system.
Derailment seem to happen a lot in my group

Plan: Heroes get arrested on bogus charges, then condemned to participate in a camel-death-race through dangerous landscape, so the rich and bored could bet on the outcome. Sorta team hunger-games before hunger-games.
What happened: Heroes escaped prison, went underground, solved mystery of their bogus charge, cleared their name... also, GM (anywhere outside of D20, that is what the DM is called) threw away the mission script.

After that, our GMs (including me) started to prepare less and less, just get a general idea what could happen and wing it.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Lol!

We used to wind our DM up. After a very profitable Runequest campaign, we put all our earnings into buying and operating a cake shop instead of starting a new quest. Did it for a few weeks until we got bored, and bless our DM he didn't get a horde of Dwarves or Goblins to burn it down around our ears - he let us get it out of our system.
Derailment seem to happen a lot in my group

Plan: Heroes get arrested on bogus charges, then condemned to participate in a camel-death-race through dangerous landscape, so the rich and bored could bet on the outcome. Sorta team hunger-games before hunger-games.
What happened: Heroes escaped prison, went underground, solved mystery of their bogus charge, cleared their name... also, GM (anywhere outside of D20, that is what the DM is called) threw away the mission script.

After that, our GMs (including me) started to prepare less and less, just get a general idea what could happen and wing it.

General Idea!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Things to know about playing D&D -

1 - Rolemaster is better.

2 - People who play GURPS probably use Linux and live with their mum/older sibling.

3 - Anyone who plays AD&D knows that it is a pain in the arse, but refuses to admit everything has improved since they were young (like people who ride harleys, or drive british cars)

4 - There was never a 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Anyway, if you can get some rule books (any system you like really, but I believe d20 was made open source so you can get the basics for free online?) and some friends, you can obviously do a thing of a weekend.

Failing that, for all you losers who like to live online, two of the most successful, and longest-running online Play-by-post gaming forums are

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/

https://www.myth-weavers.com/

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Maybe we should start a play by post here. :D

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
2 - People who play GURPS probably use Linux and live with their mum/older sibling.
I'm a bit surprised at that stereotype. I mean the rules are a lot less complicated than D20 (or whatever they call it these days).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Here's a small idea of what it might be like:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hr Offline styx

that looks fun

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Yep. This.

I have run multiple sessions on the preparation of writing a single sentence. Then i take notes as I go, and if I get stumped for making a name on the fly, I point to a player, "Your turn to come up with a name."

But there's really little need to prepare. The players won't get to your material, even if on course, for two or three sessions. Someone will find a way to waste time. "I need potions", "I need to speak to the magistrate's assistant's assistant for more clues", "I wanna go to a tavern and get chicks drunk."

Endless time wasting and derailment. But if you're having fun...  :shrug:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

Yep. This.

I have run multiple sessions on the preparation of writing a single sentence. Then i take notes as I go, and if I get stumped for making a name on the fly, I point to a player, "Your turn to come up with a name."

But there's really little need to prepare. The players won't get to your material, even if on course, for two or three sessions. Someone will find a way to waste time. "I need potions", "I need to speak to the magistrate's assistant's assistant for more clues", "I wanna go to a tavern and get chicks drunk."

Endless time wasting and derailment. But if you're having fun...  :shrug:
Uhh... that is how "heroes" get an overly attached half-orc half-troll "girlfriend" who constantly mocks them how low their alcohol tolerance is. Sly ones might think they could use said girlfriend as tank... but then realize that its kinda annoying if, whenever there is trouble, the girlfriend grabs them and runs for the hills, to keep that fragile hero safe.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:53:15 PM by Etherealicer »

hr Offline styx

so you're saying only go for half-elf clerics?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Not sure about clerics... priests of Dionysus might have a fairly sturdy liver and potentially some "stop-ill-effects-of-alcohol"-spells

hr Offline styx

Not sure about clerics... priests of Dionysus might have a fairly sturdy liver and potentially some "stop-ill-effects-of-alcohol"-spells

i work better with "suits your dumb smurf for drinking so much" attitude

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%