Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you open a tiny gate clip?

lew · 24 · 1531

Offline lew

How do you open a tiny gate clip?
on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:29 PM
The fly fishing clip I was using with my Tec P-7 wasn't strong enough so I bought some 25mm gate clips from Tec.  They are the perfect size and I can open them OK, but my fat fingers get in the way of attaching the knife.  Anybody have this problem with tiny gate clips?  Any solutions?

Thanks

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: How do you open a tiny gate clip?
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:46:39 PM
I usually have more difficulty when I've got something attached to one of those clips and then need to get it off.

Two ideas:

1. use a bit of wire or string to hold the gate open while you attache your item, then cut it off to let the gate close.

2. If you had an awlsome tool.....say a REBAR...you could use the pliers to hole the gate open while you attache your item.

Maybe?  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:58 PM
If the clip slides on the REBAR's jaws, you might give the jaws a wrap of duct tape for better grip.

Offline lew

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  I can get things on and off but with difficulty.  Strangely, I can get things off more easily than on.  I use it with the Workchamp and usually just let it dangle, but it's a pain when using the phillips and cap lifter.  I could use the Rebar instead but I'm sort of doing an unofficial 30-day Workchamp challenge while carrying both.  I could belt carry but that's where my Rebar is.  Possible solution: Victorinox Multiclip under the Rebar sheath?

Offline lew

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:08:15 PM
If the clip slides on the REBAR's jaws, you might give the jaws a wrap of duct tape for better grip.
I tried this - the Rebar's jaws work quite well but not a practical solution.

Offline lew

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  I can get things on and off but with difficulty.  Strangely, I can get things off more easily than on.  I use it with the Workchamp and usually just let it dangle, but it's a pain when using the phillips and cap lifter.  I could use the Rebar instead but I'm sort of doing an unofficial 30-day Workchamp challenge while carrying both.  I could belt carry but that's where my Rebar is.  Possible solution: Victorinox Multiclip under the Rebar sheath?

(Image removed from quote.)
I think I like this.  I'm going to carry this way for a week or so and see how it does.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 10:11:07 PM
I may have misunderstood. Do you need to be able to remove the knife from the clip frequently? (I guess I thought you left it on the gated clip.)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 10:12:06 PM
When I attach a split ring to a clip, I rarely press in the clip jaw/the wire part with a finger. I hold the clip body and the split ring, and simply push the split ring onto the clip (using the ring itself to press the jaw).

Offline lew

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 10:25:47 PM
I may have misunderstood. Do you need to be able to remove the knife from the clip frequently? (I guess I thought you left it on the gated clip.)
Yes.  I want to be able to pull out the knife, disconnect the clip, use the knife, and reconnect it.  Not a problem with belt carry or the Multiclip.  Works great with S-Biners but it rides too low in my pocket.

Offline lew

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 10:36:13 PM
When I attach a split ring to a clip, I rarely press in the clip jaw/the wire part with a finger. I hold the clip body and the split ring, and simply push the split ring onto the clip (using the ring itself to press the jaw).
Thanks.  That's how I've been doing it, but I want to EASILY take my SAK on and off.  I guess most people leave it on once attached and it's not a problem.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:13 PM
Ahhh....

Is it possible to snag the gate with the side of your thumbnail to remove the SAK?  :think:

Then, as Steinar suggests, use the split ring to press the gate open and pop the SAK back on the clip?

Seems like too much bother to me, all around. I just let SAKs sit in the bottom of my pocket. But, then, that's probably why I only carry 4-layer or smaller SAKs.

Offline lew

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:42:33 PM
Ahhh....

Is it possible to snag the gate with the side of your thumbnail to remove the SAK?  :think:

Then, as Steinar suggests, use the split ring to press the gate open and pop the SAK back on the clip?

Seems like too much bother to me, all around. I just let SAKs sit in the bottom of my pocket. But, then, that's probably why I only carry 4-layer or smaller SAKs.
It's too stiff for my thumbnail.  The Workchamp is a bit of a brick when laying in my pocket.  I don't know it's there with a pocket clip, belt clip, or a sheath.  The funny thing is, I'm still running in circles to get the Workchamp carry just right; the Rebar/Raine Horizontal Knife Sheath combination was perfect from the start.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 10:44:06 PM
Workchamp is a 111mm, right?

That's a big tool. Probably best suited for a belt sheath/pouch.

Offline lew

Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 10:51:17 PM
Multiclip and P-7 both work great; very comfortable carry.  Belt sheath is also comfortable, and if I ever decide to stop carrying the Rebar, I may try that.

Offline lew

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:52:10 PM
Only room for 2 sheaths on my belt and my phone takes one.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 10:58:21 PM
I was thinking that an alternative approach would be to fix a clip on your belt and use a loop of cord to go from the clip down through the split ring on the SAK and then back to the clip on your belt.

I've done something like this in the past and it has worked out well.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 11:00:19 PM
Thanks.  That's how I've been doing it, but I want to EASILY take my SAK on and off.  I guess most people leave it on once attached and it's not a problem.

Hm. Got it. Could you use the side of the toothpick in the Workchamp to open the clip? Sounds a little cumbersome, I guess.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 11:04:58 PM
Or, if looks is not a priority, you could add one of these. I think they're ugly, but they're certainly quick and convenient.

Offline lew

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 12:31:22 AM
I was thinking that an alternative approach would be to fix a clip on your belt and use a loop of cord to go from the clip down through the split ring on the SAK and then back to the clip on your belt.

I've done something like this in the past and it has worked out well.
I'll have to try that.  I'm really liking the Vic Multiclip.  It fits between and under the Rebar sheath and the SAK rides high enough in my pocket that I don't even know it's there.  And, it's not too noticeable.  My wife says she feels like she's married to a cop when she puts her arms around me when I'm carrying 3 sheaths.

Offline lew

Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 12:33:19 AM
Or, if looks is not a priority, you could add one of these. I think they're ugly, but they're certainly quick and convenient.

(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks but I think it's bigger than what I'm looking for.  Looks like it would work though.

Offline lew

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 02:12:40 PM
Figured it out.  I was letting the split ring dangle freely while trying to slip it on.   By holding both the clip and the ring firmly,  the ring slips by my fat fingers and on or off the clip. I've finally settled on how to carry my tools - time to worry about something else.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 02:24:44 PM
 :drink:  ;)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 02:40:13 PM
Figured it out.  I was letting the split ring dangle freely while trying to slip it on.   By holding both the clip and the ring firmly,  the ring slips by my fat fingers and on or off the clip. I've finally settled on how to carry my tools - time to worry about something else.

I was about to say that...

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 08:43:43 AM

Ditto

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD