Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ordering from Canada to USA

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Ordering from Canada to USA
on: February 23, 2018, 11:26:01 AM
  So bought a Seagull S8 Mandolin from a shop in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. This was because Elderly did not have any in stock and had no ETA of arrivals, so found one on Reverb that was sold by The Acoustic Room. I inquired if they shipped to the USA, and got a quote, and ordered the mandolin + added a bag. The cost was in my favor ordering from Canada as opposed to buying locally.

Question is, even though I looked up on US Customs, has anyone ever had to pay a tax or fee when ordering a 6 pound/under $300 acoustic instrument? The PDF looks like that I am in the clear since Canada is listed of having a Normal Trade Relation. UPS is delivering the Seagull.

I did drop Grant's name & MTO, thinking that perhaps I could get a discount. No idea if that worked or not. But I did try. :D

This is one sexy mandolin. The intent is to carry it on the TerraTrike Rover and in the back seat of the car when I'm out doing the government job. Playing a mandolin is addicting! Once you get started it is like you do not want to put it down - least not until the calluses start to complain.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:28:59 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Ordering from Canada to USA
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:41:37 PM
With the relatively weak Canadian dollar right now you should be doing as much shopping in Canada as you can.  And that goes for you folks in Europe too.   :pok:

You MAY get taxed or have the joy of paying an import and/or brokerage fee depending on how the customs agents feel that day and the method used for shipping, but it shouldn't be that much.  The amount will likely depend largely on what your state's sales tax is.  UPS usually charges $40-60 for a brokerage fee, depending on the value of the item.

Nice looking mandolin though- seems like it would be well worth it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:01:58 PM
Nice mandolin  :tu:

We will all look forward to the utube video of you playing it  :pok:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:02 AM
Nice Mando !

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:36:29 AM
In Canada I have to pay duty on anything over $100 if the border checks.. which they usually do.  Not sure what your limit for US importation is?  Some products if they are made in canada or US are exempt though, but Im really not sure what classes that covers.  I know when I buy metals from the US they are except, Ive never been charged duty on $400 orders of Ti.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68