Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Right-angle locking grooves on Surge

us Offline Random_Username

Right-angle locking grooves on Surge
on: March 06, 2018, 07:09:17 PM
Hey, guys. I had a day off and some free time (those two rarely go together  ::) ) so I decided to tackle a problem on my Surge. A handful of times now I've had to fold one of the screwdriver tools at a 90º offset to fit between things and tighten fasteners. An example of this is the wonky latch we have on our cooler door at work. For tasks like this, it would be very helpful if I were able to lock the tool in the 90º position in order to tighten fasteners without the tool trying to fold itself shut on me. Today I took a stab at modifying my Surge, cutting slots in both the large screwdriver and bit driver tools, in order to allow them to lock in a 90º position relative to the factory locking grooves. I figured I'd post it up here in case anybody wanted to check it out.

Tools needed/used:
- 2x T10 security Torx bits with holders of some sort
- Dremel or other brand rotary tool with cutoff wheel
- small file to finish cuts
- a vice is handy, but I'm sure one could do this while holding the bits in locking pliers (perhaps a LM Crunch?)
- I use a Staedltler Lumocolor marker with a 0.4mm tip, but any fine, permanent marker should work to mark the tools

Note: wear safety glasses when using power tools, especially these flimsy little cutoff wheels. I definitely wore them, or at least I would say so if my wife asked  :whistle:

Alright, now for the actual modification:
I did this mod one side at a time. First, I accessed the tool desired by disassembling the pivot pin on the correct side. Take care to not lose any of the small parts, including the washer(s) and hardware. I use this little yellow tray to help keep my things together. The bright color helps spot smaller parts, too.

I traced out a locking groove outline from the adjacent tool where I wanted it and placed the tool to be modded in my vice. I then used my handy Dremel to cut out a groove for the new tool lock. Of course I forgot to take pics of marking and cutting, but hopefully it makes sense  :whistle:

Once the groove is cut, I test fit the lock bar to the groove, and made any necessary adjustments with a small file. Once I was satisfied with the fit, I reassembled that side of the tool and double-checked the fit and lockup.

One side down, one to go. I just followed the same steps with the other side (bit driver). Pics:

Overall, it was a fairly simple modification to make to the Surge, and should make tightening fasteners in tight spaces much easier.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Right-angle locking grooves on Surge
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:13:10 PM
Awesome MOD and I too have needed a 90 degree stop on occasion. I wish Leatherman would offer this on a few models. Well done sir!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:26:18 PM
That's a excellent mod you done there
That should be on there as standard well thought of :tu: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:37:16 PM
Great write-up and pics.  :like:
This has been on my To-Mod List for some time...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:04:06 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

While I have done this for other people I haven't got around to changing my own multitools.
When I do the plan is go between the two at about one hundred and twenty degrees.
Wont be so much for awkward areas, more for adding leverage and torque.

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:07:45 PM
thanks, everyone!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:01:28 PM
Nice job !  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds