Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No job is too big for a SAK?

ca Offline Walley

on: March 29, 2018, 05:34:17 AM
I know there must be thousands of uses for SAKs, all kinds of small jobs that can be dealt with quickly by having one handy. but how about big jobs?
when do you put the little knife away and go for the big tools?

a few years ago when I worked in disaster restoration, my work partner and I had a job to strip some wallpaper in a large living room/dinning room and kitchen.
we did this a lot and had our method down pat, but this one day after we wet the walls down with our solution and started picking away at the corners we found it going pretty good and decided to keep going,
we stripped it all entirely clean with nothing but our SAKs.(hunstman's to be exact) and this was no small feat.. usually we would have gotten out the big scrapers on poles etc
we weren't picking away postage stamp sized pieces either. we used the blades to start a corner or seem then peel off strips.
I use mine ALL the time, but that is one job that stands out in my memory as one time that my SAK was the only tool that I used all day long.

Just curious if anyone has a story that beat mine? anything substantial that you built or an accomplishment using only a SAK?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: No job is too big for a SAK?
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:41:13 AM
Great story.

Nothing comes immediately to mind, but I will say that it's easy to underestimate the SAK. I suspect the commonplace nature of SAK's, the same trait that makes them seem 'friendly' to non-knife people, leads to a certain tendency to discount their abilities.

Thanks for posting your own impressive experience!  :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:09:20 AM
Not as big a deal, but the All Weather trunk trays for the Camry come in big cardboard boxes nailed to wooden pallets. I regularly use the caplifter on my Pioneer X to pry the nails out as we use the trays, so that the parts person can easily break down the pallet when we’re done with it.

The pictures below actually show me using my Outrider and my Wave, as I tried them also. But I always end up back with my PX!!!

This is what it looks like. I also use my PX to cut the sides off the cardboard box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:15:18 AM by zrxoa1 »

ca Offline DogNose

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:21:43 AM
When I lived in Japan, I didn't have any tools in my apartment besides what was on my SAK, which was also a huntsman. It was not a furnished apartment, and I had to pull everything together on the cheap. I was able to snag a couple wooden shower floor covers from the dollar store, disassemble, cut, drill, and screw back together a short table to put my laptop on and use as a desk. The huntsman is my number one SAK because of that experience.  :salute:
wood-floor-inserts.jpg
* wood-floor-inserts.jpg (Filesize: 29.41 KB)
"Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face."
Mike Tyson

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
Really cool to see what people are accomplishing with tools obviously punching way above their weight. Thanks for sharing, guys!  :cheers:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:15:49 PM
Well, a few years ago, we were sight seeing in the Great Redwoods National forest in California. Hiking around and seeing the sights. Some park personal were having a hard time clearing the trail from some storm downed redwoods. I volunteered my help and with he aid of the saw on my Victorinox hiker, I cut through the trunk of a redwood with no trouble at all.

:D :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:19:38 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:29:56 PM
 :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:32:01 PM
When I read the “no trouble at all.“ part that’s when I knew that it was a joke. :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:34:28 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:11 PM
When I read the “no trouble at all.“ part that’s when I knew that it was a joke. :whistle:

What, you think a SAK saw would've any trouble with a redwood?????
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 12:50:20 PM

In real life I think that a SAK saw would be able to chop down a redwood, but it would take at least a few hours.  :think: Hardly “no trouble at all.“.

:D  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:57:05 PM

In real life I think that a SAK saw would be able to chop down a redwood, but it would take at least a few hours.  :think: Hardly “no trouble at all.“.

:D  :whistle:

Maybe a few days, a caravan with a proper kitchen and bathroom, a support crew, a film crew, a motivational coach, you know, the necessities for a 'reality' experience...

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 03:12:00 PM
When do you switch to bigger tools? When they are at hand I guess. (Or when I'm not to lazy to get them).

I can recall countless times where I used a SAK instead of 'proper' tools. And I know of course that a SAK is a proper tool, but you catch my drift.

The last big thing that comes to mind is the installation of our new central heating system. The man installing the unit was pressed for time and wanted to put the plumbing where I didn't want it. I bargained that I'd remove the sheathing so he didn't have to. In order to make up time to put the plumbing where I wanted it to go. He agreed and I removed a couple of meters of wood sheathing on the walls to make room for the plumbing. All with the bottle-opener of my Handyman. I think I impressed the guy.

Another is modifications to my father in laws TV cabinet. He'd liked to have the cables out of view. So I drilled holes in the back of the cabinet with the awl, cut out a section with the woodsaw and finished it with the file. Of course I could've gotten a circular saw...

On yet another occasion I was driving to my final exam (high-school) and my bike's chain got derailed and stuck in the cogs. I wouldn't have made it if I walked, so I took out the rear wheel with my pliers, pulled the chain free with the hook, re-assembled the wheel with the pliers again and raced towards my exams. Made it, just in time!

In all cases I would have used bigger tools if I had them available. But since my SAK is always on me it's just as much my first as it is my last resort.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD