Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

More air pistols

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
More air pistols
on: April 12, 2018, 05:57:20 PM
Not wanting to jump on Chako's thread I decided to start my own to show off a couple of recent additions to the Defender Pneumatic Armory.  :D

While visiting my parents a few weeks ago I asked my father if I could borrow a pistol from him as I knew he wasn't using it, and it benefits from being a multishot pistol, which I don't currently have.  It's available at most sporting goods stores and it is known (quite dramatically) as the Crosman Vigilante.

It's a large frame revolver type, with a replaceable "chamber" that allows you to preload up to 10 BB's or 6 pellets.  It's a CO2 powered unit, so there's no pumping or set up between shots, just pull the trigger, then pull the trigger again for the next round.

The safety on this one is basically a notch that flips under the hammer, keeping it from going all the way in and sending off the shot.  It's simple, but you have to pull the hammer back slightly to engage it.  Personally I prefer a safety that can be switched on and off without manipulating any part of the action, but it is extremely simple and effective, so I will get over my own hangups!

The Vigilante is a fairly large gun, and while it isn't quite as big as a Colt Python, I still get the urge to point it at the ground when I shoot, just like Sheriff Grimes.

:facepalm:

I like this one not only because it takes multiple shots without coming off target, but also because it fires both pellets and BB's, which makes it unique amongst all of my air guns.  Only one other, my Crosman 781 does that, but it is a pump, which means shoot, come off target, pump, go back on target and fire again.  Repeated firing is nice, but it has never bee that huge of a deal for me until recently.  You see, a couple of months ago I got these:

I'm no tree hugger, but the amount of lead that I fire into the surrounding environment, then leave there has always bothered me, and ricochets are always a concern to anyone.  Having a non-toxic, frangible BB that shatters on impact seems like a really great idea to me, and as soon as the weather warms up I plan to get them out to test them.  Having a multi shot gun will come in handy, and I will be sure to report on them after I have fired a few rounds for real.  I have put a few rounds of them out already under... how shall I say.... unofficial circumstances and all it did was make me want to shoot more!

My father is also very hard of hearing these days, so I don't think he really got why I wanted the Vigilante, so he disappeared for a few minutes and came back with this one for me to take as well.

It's an old Gamo Falcon, produced between 1980 and 1990.  I couldn't tell you where in the run this one came from though, but either way it's no spring chicken, which is odd because it is spring powered.  Simply pull down the bar below the barrel to cock it, pop a pellet into the chamber and it's ready to go.

The safety on this one is... well... there isn't one.  Or, if there is, I have yet to locate it. 

Given how old this one is, it's surprising that the only sign of it's age is this crack in the handle.  I am going to take it off some time soon and epoxy it up, but for now it isn't causing any problems, nor is it likely to get any worse if left. 

Before you even notice the crack in the handle though you notice that this thing is HUGE.  That's a 91mm Compact next to it to give you an idea of size.  And, given it's age, the only plastic on it is the handle slabs- the rest is solid steel, and it feels so nice as a result.  Very much like a real firearm, and much more so than the Vigilante, which is based on a real firearm, but has a large percentage of plastic in it.

The Gamo has one other thing going for it- it hits HARD.  I am not generally a huge fan of spring loaded pellet guns because I usually find that the spring alone doesn't produce as powerful a shot as air or compressed gas does.  I have had two spring loaded guns before, a pistol and a rifle (still have the rifle) and neither has been that impressively powerful.  This one however.... well that's a whole other story.  In fact, if you fire this one indoors it will set off your tinnitus, guaranteed.  I wish I had a chronometer to see what the muzzle velocity is on this gun, because it far outpaces any of the other spring loaded guns I have used.   :ahhh

Here's a quick shot of the pistols currently in my collection.  Top left is the Crosman 1377 American Classic with the Crosman Vigilante and Gamo Falcon under it.  I was surprised to see how much larger the Falcon was compared to the 1377 as that always struck me as a pretty large gun on it's own!  On the right side we have the Crosman M1 (in need of re-assembly) and the only .22 in the group, the Crosman Mk2.

I hope you all like pistols as much as I do!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: More air pistols
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:36:27 PM
Gamo P800 single shot folding barrel air pistol.
Shoots .177 pellets

You edited and lengthened your post...

My Gamo looks like a modern variant of yours!
It's got a safety though :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:39:32 PM by Mechanickal »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:00:50 PM
Gamo P800 single shot folding barrel air pistol.
Shoots .177 pellets(Image removed from quote.)

You edited and lengthened your post...

My Gamo looks like a modern variant of yours!
It's got a safety though :D

Safeties are for people with two eyes....

Nice gun though!  It reminds me of the Browning URX that ibsent to a friend last year.  It was also a break barrel but it had all the power of a soft spaghetti noodle.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:02:51 PM
Well, like your Gamo, there is quite some punch behind this one. :tu:

Haven't used it for quite some time now...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:06:06 PM
the vigilante is rifled, so even though you can use BBs it is generally not adviced, as it may damage the rifling, according to the net.

I do not use them in mine
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:48:44 PM
That’s a nice collection Grant  :like: :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:19 PM
Here is my Beratta FS 92 air pistol by Umarex :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:20 PM
Nice collection!   :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 02:34:31 AM
Thanks guys!

It's not really a collection, just a bunch of users!

Which I suppose constitutes a collection... but I collect enough things already, I don't need to start another!   :ahhh

Def

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 09:17:34 PM
You can definately see the common Gamo DNA between the Falcon and my Paratrooper, it's in the slightly too small to be a proper rifle, slightly too big for a pistol category.

I have two Crossman 38c pistols, A Crossman Model 44 Peacemaker, Daisy Powerline 1200, Daisy Baretta of somesort, and a crossman Uzi, will try and get pics when the wifey isn't asleep

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 11:41:12 PM
You can definately see the common Gamo DNA between the Falcon and my Paratrooper, it's in the slightly too small to be a proper rifle, slightly too big for a pistol category.
(Image removed from quote.)

I have two Crossman 38c pistols, A Crossman Model 44 Peacemaker, Daisy Powerline 1200, Daisy Baretta of somesort, and a crossman Uzi, will try and get pics when the wifey isn't asleep

That is a very cool gun!  It loks like they raided the parts bins from a few different guns to make it though!  :D

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 01:13:28 PM
GAMO are made 30km away from my house and are among the best and most popular gun brands in my country   :tu:

Also, its name comes from the spanish word for the Fallow deer (Dama dama) which is called "Gamo" and is a common hunting prey in our rural areas  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 01:18:41 PM
I really like this Gamo pistol.  It is simple and well made, with perhaps one of the best springs I've ever felt in a gun.  As I said, I have never been a fan of spring loaded guns as they never seem to have much power, but this one sure does.  I'd love to use a chronograph to see what it's muzzle velocity is.

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 02:02:27 PM
Main advantages of spring guns:
- low maintenance
- always ready to fire

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 09:19:02 PM
Nice collection Def. What happened to your Buckmark?

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 10:13:27 PM
I gave it to a friend of mine.   He needed some thing to play with so I sent it to him.  He's got a decent sized property so he can use it any time he wants without upsetting anyone.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:09 AM
 :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 11:13:28 AM
A Falcon has appeared for sale, really tempted to throw money where I shouldn't be throwing, for toys.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 04:33:38 PM
A Falcon has appeared for sale, really tempted to throw money where I shouldn't be throwing, for toys.

It's a really nice gun- if the price is right then I'd jump on it if I were you.  You can justify it as being cheap because you don't need CO2 cartridges for it, so you are actually saving money by getting it... :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%