Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening D2

Offline aikon2014

Sharpening D2
on: April 15, 2018, 05:32:13 PM
So I heard alot about people that think that D2 is superhard to sharpen. I honestly don't understand why, yes it takes longer than Vic steel or 420HC Leatherman, but I don't think it's hard, it just takes a few more minutes on the stones and it's done.

What's your opinion?

Btw, Ontario Rat 2 in D2 is super awesome, and I really mean SUPER awesome!  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Sharpening D2
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:46:59 PM
Keep in mind, also, it's not just a question of D2 steel (we talking D2 or CPM-D2?). Different makers have different heat treatments and end up with different hardness points, steel strucutre, and carbide sizes. Many D2 steel blades can end up hard and with large carbides if not heat treated carefully. This can make D2 a bit trickier to get a really smooth razor edge with. But that may not be a problem for most general tasks.

Like you, I don't find D2 to be a big problem and really like it for a knife steel. I prefer CPM-D2, but have an older Bob Dozier knife that isn't CPM steel, and it is fantastic, but Bob Dozier is well known for working with D2.

I certainly wouldn't discourage anybody from trying D2 steel. It's a great cutting steel, but may not be a great prying steel, and can be prone to chipping.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:48:19 PM by Nix »

Offline aikon2014

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:48:36 PM
Keep in mind, also, it's not just a question of D2 steel (we talking D2 or CPM-D2?). Different makers have different heat treatments and end up with different hardness points, steel strucutre, and carbide sizes. Many D2 steels can end up hard and with large carbides. This can make D2 a bit trickier to get a really smooth razor edge with. But that may not be a problem for most general tasks.

(Image removed from quote.)

Like you, I don't find D2 to be a big problem and really like it for a knife steel. I prefer CPM-D2, but have an older Bob Dozier knife that isn't CPM steel, and it is fantastic, but Bob Dozier is well known for working with D2.

I certainly wouldn't discourage anybody from trying D2 steel. It's a great cutting steel, but may not be a great prying steel, and can be prone to chipping.

Interesting! I love information like that, always enjoy to learn new things!
I was sharpening my Rat 2.
I guess it's not CPM since it's made in Taiwan.

I have a Steel Will Cutjack in D2 on it's was as well, guess it's not CMP as well since it's made in China.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:49:40 PM
I don't know.... :think:

You might check their spec sheets.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:25:42 PM

Btw, Ontario Rat 2 in D2 is super awesome, and I really mean SUPER awesome!  :D

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:30:42 PM
D2 is one of my favorite steels and I will agree it's not hard to sharpen.
But.
I disagree that it is prone to chipping, having said that. D2 is not a steel to run at very acute angles. 17° or less. Just like a lot of steels if it's chipping sharpen a little more obtuse and/or add a micro bevel.

With the wrong stones it is hard to sharpen and I believe that is where D2 or any of the High carbide steels get their reputation as hard to sharpen. D2 is one of the older of the so called super steels.

When someone going from a low carbide steel like CV or 420HC gets hold of a D2 or any high carbide steel and tries to freehand sharpen it on the same stone he used on his 420HC. He'll have a problem. Then he'll spend years posting everywhere about how hard it is to sharpen.

All steel is easy to sharpen with the right series of stones and equipment. Even with the right stones it is slower re profileing D2 compared to 420HC. Once it is profiled to your needs it's as easy to sharpen as any steel.
Diamonds or Silicon Carbide is what I use for D2.

I could be wrong but I think Crucible stopped making CPM D2 at least five years ago.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 08:37:07 PM
I could be wrong but I think Crucible stopped making CPM D2 at least five years ago.

I hadn't heard that. Hope that's not the case. I liked it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%