Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

a VERY special SAK day for me...

ca Offline gcconspiracy

on: April 18, 2018, 07:30:50 AM
Today I didn't expect to receive any SAKs, but instead I received two. The first was my new EDC. After four years of carrying the same Super Tinker daily, I finally decided to replace it with a Pioneer X. The Pioneer X was not supposed to arrive until toomorrow, but it ended up arriving today! That was a great surprise, but it was what happened this evening that was really cool.
Sadly, after a long fight with cancer, my father passed away recently. Obviously, this has been a very hard time for all of us. I went to visit my Mother this evening, and she gave me something of my father's: his Swiss Army Knife! This is a very well loved and well used Spartan - the very knife that my Dad used to teach me knife safety and whittling, and the knife I think of whenever I think of my Dad! What an amazing gift, and what a special day. Two very different SAKs - one with so many memories of the past, and one that I hope to create memories with long into the future...

My Father’s Spartan and my new Pioneer X:

My former EDC Super Tinker with my new Pioneer X:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:35:18 AM
First off, my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your father. Been there, not an easy thing...

Secondly, such an awesome story!  Be sure to use your dad’s SAK every now and then!!

:tu:

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Re: a VERY special SAK day for me...
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:30 AM
First off, my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your father. Been there, not an easy thing...

Secondly, such an awesome story!  Be sure to use your dad’s SAK every now and then!!

:tu:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the condolences. And yes, I will definitely have to use it from time to time!

God bless,

GCC

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 07:39:56 AM
I want to also extend my condolences to you and your family. 

What a special SAK from your father.  Will you carry it?  Keep it close or will you make a display or something for it? 

I hope you have many memories with your Pioneer X. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:27 AM
Very nice knives. I have my father's knives as well, and while I'd rather have my father at least I have some things to remind me of him.  They are mine now, and have been mine for a year, but whenever I carry one of them I still think I am carrying my father's knife.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:01 AM
I want to also extend my condolences to you and your family. 

What a special SAK from your father.  Will you carry it?  Keep it close or will you make a display or something for it? 

I hope you have many memories with your Pioneer X.
I hadn’t thought of making a display, though that could be a neat idea... for the time being I will likely add it to my small collection, and carry on weekends and days off, but I may have to make a display of sorts some day.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:50:24 AM
Very nice knives. I have my father's knives as well, and while I'd rather have my father at least I have some things to remind me of him.  They are mine now, and have been mine for a year, but whenever I carry one of them I still think I am carrying my father's knife.
I think I know how you feel - although I only just received this knife, I can’t imagine ever thinking of it as my knife, it will always be my dad’s.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 08:08:42 AM
My condolences gcconspiracy... having something that belongs to a loved one and the memories shared beats any SAK any day...

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 08:55:52 AM
My condolences, and thanks for sharing  :salute:

My father has -among other SAKs- a Spartan just like that one and he keeps on using it even though one of the springs has zero tension anymore (maybe broken). He even asked me to repair that darn worned out thing! Which I realise I still need to do. My parents are on vacation now, I could of course go to their home in the next weeks to see if he left the broken Spartan at home... would be a nice surprise for him if they came home and he would find a repaired Spartan in his drawer  :)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 11:50:28 AM
Condolences :salute:
In spite of the sadness, I bet you smiled a little to have his knife that you can identify with every time you hold it
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:51:32 AM by Greg Jones »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:14 PM
Sorry to hear of your father's passing, but that Spartan is a very special knife. It has so many great memories for you.

My most prized knives are 2 my father had and one he gave me.

Congratulations on the new Pioneer X too! :cheers:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:12:31 PM by VICMAN »

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 04:14:28 PM
My condolences gcconspiracy... having something that belongs to a loved one and the memories shared beats any SAK any day...

Thanks so much, and yes, I couldn’t agree more!

My condolences, and thanks for sharing  :salute:

My father has -among other SAKs- a Spartan just like that one and he keeps on using it even though one of the springs has zero tension anymore (maybe broken). He even asked me to repair that darn worned out thing! Which I realise I still need to do. My parents are on vacation now, I could of course go to their home in the next weeks to see if he left the broken Spartan at home... would be a nice surprise for him if they came home and he would find a repaired Spartan in his drawer  :)

Thanks so much for the condolences, and I hope you are able to surprise your as upon his return! There’s something beautiful about a simple SAK that has been loved and used for many years!

Condolences :salute:
In spite of the sadness, I bet you smiled a little to have his knife that you can identify with every time you hold it

Absolutely! I’ve got a small knife collection, but none of them have as much meaning as this one.

Sorry to hear of your father's passing, but that Spartan is a very special knife. It has so many great memories for you.

My most prized knives are 2 my father had and one he gave me.

Congratulations on the new Pioneer X too! :cheers:

Thanks so much. It’s amazing how these tools can become so connected to their owners - every scratch and scuff tells a story!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%