Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OMG, Our House Just Shook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
OMG, Our House Just Shook!
on: April 20, 2018, 02:23:18 AM
OMG, I think we just had a earthquake, I mean yeah the wife just sat on the toilet but she’s never been that bad, the walls were shaking the vibes shook the freaking bed. She thought the water heater blew and I ran throughout the house to do a quick house inspection and all was well, there’s a lot of people shouting around so it wasn’t just us.. sure enough a post just came in on the wife’s board and we had a 3.6 on the outskirts of Detroit Michigan, supposedly hit over in Canada, all well up there?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: OMG, Our House Just Shook!
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:42:28 AM
I've been in a few 'quakes. Always a bit strange to feel the earth turn to Jello.

We had a 5.8 quake here at the end of last summer. Woke us up in the middle of the night......I rolled over and went back to sleep, but Mrs Nix went outside to find our neighbors had all piled out onto their porch.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:42:55 AM
Dang,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:46:53 AM
I've been in a few 'quakes. Always a bit strange to feel the earth turn to Jello.

We had a 5.8 quake here at the end of last summer. Woke us up in the middle of the night......I rolled over and went back to sleep, but Mrs Nix went outside to find our neighbors had all piled out onto their porch.
I’ve felt a little rumble but that’s it, it was as if the cat jumped on the bed or as if a large load truck drove by, but this was a first where the house freaking shook!
JR

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 02:52:09 AM
Ironically, this afternoon, we met with a Structural Engineer to consult about how to deal with some of the damage our house sustained with out last earthquake.

It became clear that we had some subsidence after the quake and our front porch sank down, pulling away from the foundation. In addition, our sidewalk cracked...Winter made that a bit worse.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 03:31:34 AM
Ironically, this afternoon, we met with a Structural Engineer to consult about how to deal with some of the damage our house sustained with out last earthquake.

It became clear that we had some subsidence after the quake and our front porch sank down, pulling away from the foundation. In addition, our sidewalk cracked...Winter made that a bit worse.
Err,
We had our insurance company came out today because of our roof, we got a leak :-\ on the other hand we’d like to get a porch on the house, the concrete mini front is chipping probably because of the salts I threw on it, yet it’s so small I could probably only fit one chair on it, that and not be able to open the door..
JR

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:07:03 AM
that first post about your wife was hilarious  :rofl:
Yeah I've felt a few quakes here in New Jersey, they were very small, but noticeable.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:42:03 AM
Been in a handful of quakes in my area. A few years back and I thought a bomb went off in my front yard. I heard a incredibly loud “boom” and then the house started shaking. I did not know what was going on for a few minutes until I realized what had happened. I was around for the 1989 earthquake in the Bay Area California. 6.9 I believe.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:13 AM
that first post about your wife was hilarious  :rofl:
Yeah I've felt a few quakes here in New Jersey, they were very small, but noticeable.
Shhh, I didn’t tell her I posted that, but dang, after running around checking everthing I noticed one thing, dang did it STINK! lol :whistle:
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 07:25:10 AM
Been in a handful of quakes in my area. A few years back and I thought a bomb went off in my front yard. I heard a incredibly loud “boom” and then the house started shaking. I did not know what was going on for a few minutes until I realized what had happened. I was around for the 1989 earthquake in the Bay Area California. 6.9 I believe.
It was quiet here then I heard a rumble, that’s why at first I thought it was a large truck with a very heavy load going over a bump or pothole, yet as I looked out windows I didn’t see anything driving off, it only lasted about 2-3sec nothing big, no pics fell but still it shook, I always wanted to feel what an earthquake felt like so I guess I got my wish, nothing major but still check it off the bucket list..
JR

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 09:32:58 AM
It was quiet here then I heard a rumble, that’s why at first I thought it was a large truck with a very heavy load going over a bump or pothole, yet as I looked out windows I didn’t see anything driving off, it only lasted about 2-3sec nothing big, no pics fell but still it shook, I always wanted to feel what an earthquake felt like so I guess I got my wish, nothing major but still check it off the bucket list..
JR

Every other earthquake I had been in before there was no initial “boom”, but that time the quake was on a fault line that ran basically through my neighborhood so that may have been why. My best guess anyway.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:32 AM
3.6? I generally don't feel anything under a 4.5 these days...

This was a 6.3 but buildings had been weakened by months of quakes since the initial 7.1.
Quake.jpg
* Quake.jpg (Filesize: 52.88 KB)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:02:55 PM by Syncop8r »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 12:01:28 PM
Did not feel anything up here.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 01:32:15 PM
I’m glad to hear nobody got hurt JR :tu:
Well apart from your nose  :rofl:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 05:10:56 PM
3.6? I generally don't feel anything under a 4.5 these days...

This was a 6.3 but buildings had been weakened by months of quakes since the initial 7.1.
We had another a while back but it was in the 1’s people were saying they felt it but I didn’t, I thought it was bs, but this one everything was all quiet, the kid was upstairs, the tv was off and I was just sitting here doing nothing beside reading on here, so if a bird crashed into the window in the other room not only would have heard it I probably would have felt something(although I probably would have thought it was the wife, lol) and since the bedroom door was shut this room is very quiet, you could probably hear a pin drop, my charging cord drops all the time and it sounds like someone cracking a whip.
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 05:34:59 PM
 :twak: for the wife comment  :rofl: it was funny tho  :whistle:

Living in Cali all my life I've been thru a few quakes.  When the house feels like its on wheels its scary.  Hope your house didn't suffer as much as your nose  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 05:49:03 PM
:twak: for the wife comment  :rofl: it was funny tho  :whistle:

Living in Cali all my life I've been thru a few quakes.  When the house feels like its on wheels its scary.  Hope your house didn't suffer as much as your nose  :facepalm:.
I was out in Cali once back in err, 94? And the one thing I was hoping for was to actually witness a little quake, well I guess 24yrs later I got my wish, House seems fine besides the roof leak we’ve been trying to get fixed, that and the stink bomb the wife let loose at the time,, lol.. :whistle:
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 05:51:49 PM
Looking good MadP. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 06:47:49 PM
Looking good MadP.
Well thanks, I remember that day as if it was yesterday, we took the tour but before hand we didn’t pack anything besides summer shirts and it was freaking freezing, so we had to run in the gift shop and buy sweatshirts! On the tour we passed this house on a hill which was the “Beetlejuice” house yet as you went around it there were only two sided, like dude where’s the other half? Another part was this little dude sitting in a boat fishing, all of a sudden this shark fin(guess who) pops up and the tour guys screaming to the little dude, like OMG get out! Well you guessed it “Jaw’s” pops up and eats the guy in the boat, then the tour guy asked, “what’s one thing that Jaws can do that no other shark can do”? Swim backwards! Now watch, all of a sudden the shark pops out of the water “backward” the boat reassemble itself, the guy sits back up in the boat, the fin goes backwards then drops under water and all the blood goes whoosh and turns clear! Then the big part of the tour was the most popular movie at the time which was “Backdraft” and while your standing on this platform these 55gal drums are rocketing straight up, I mean you could stick your arm over the edge and touch the dang things going up, the heat coming off them was wow, we didn’t need those sweatshirts when we got out of the building that’s for sure! Ah that was a good memory, thanks for making me remember!
JR

us Offline redmond

Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 10:38:42 PM
We get quite a few quakes here in western Washington. You can definitely feel a shallow 3.6, but the 7-8s are quite impressive.

Regardless the size it's pretty scary when the Terra ain't firma.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD