Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Rangergrip 178 OHO ...and closing. Or NOT?

il Offline israelpiper

Vic Rangergrip 178 OHO ...and closing. Or NOT?
on: April 20, 2018, 01:05:29 PM

Just recently read a few reviews that said this knife was a disappointment because it couldn't be opened one-handed, and certainly not closed one-handed either. While I very much prefer the distinctly oval opening holes on the 111mm Vics, after a moment or two of practice I was opening and closing the Rangergrip just fine. Slightly less smooth. But not all hands and thumbs are built the same, nor do they have the same dexterity or strength--nor indeed are even opposable.

I am not a commando or infiltration team member, and I do not care if the Rangergrip doesn't snap open with a flick. Come to think of it, no commando here ever flicks knives open in the field, any more than they rip open a hook & loop flap or fastener, waking up the district.

I like to hear the subjective views of any reviewer, his or her prejudices, pet peeves. But only as long as they analyse the knife objectively first. "Many find this knife easy to open and close one-handed. I do not." And then he or she can suggest that buyers be aware of the difficulties a minority of used might have, and even suggest to Victorinox altering the opening hole.

I was almost 60 before ever holding a one-hand opening folder. I wanted to take it back for a refund. Now I don't think twice about it. The only exception to openability--for me--being the infamous hook on my Huntsman, and Climber, blocked by the split-ring. 

Unlike many Vic knives, this Wenger inheritance blade does not snap closed like a guillotine in search of a neck. Closing it with the index finger isn't hard at all, or dangerous.

Lots of little myths and inaccuracies initiated by knife and gear reviewers, mostly in innocence I am sure, the reviewers being unable to differentiate brief personal experience with a new knife, as opposed to the general long-term experiences of many. I was miffed to hear that this Rangergrip 178-style opening hole "doesn't work for OHO, and that the knife cannot be closed one-handed either."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:07:19 PM by israelpiper »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Vic Rangergrip 178 OHO ...and closing. Or NOT?
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 01:57:46 PM
Some people are probably comparing these relatively cheap SAKs to very pricy knives, which are so beautifully put together that they open and close almost via telepathy.
I only have one reasonably expensive knife, a Böker with a 260 euro price tag - and sure, it opens and closes a lot more smoothly than a 24 euro Wenger Ranger! As indeed it should. (I have 3 OH Rangergrips, none of which cost more than 40 Euros.)
Can I open my Rangergrips and close them again one handed? Absolutely. Would they be smoother with brass washers? Definitely, but they would also be four times as expensive.
My only regret is that my Wenger Snow Ranger has become super-stiff to thumb open, and no amount of oil can fix it.
All in all these are terrific knives - compared to any US made Spyderco they are cheap too, and usually offer a lot more functionality.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
I have a RangerGrip 178 and no problem opening it one-handed. You can quote me on that. Neither do I have any problem closing it with one hand by pressing on the logo to release the blade lock and pushing the back side of the blade against my thigh to close it. I do the same with the one-hand 111mm. I've no problem opening the one-hand Victorinox Hunter Pro either. Closing it, because of the lock back, needs two hands.

Many reviewers of these and the 111mm OH models expect them to be some type of close quarter combat knife that flicks open like a spring loaded or spring-assisted switch-blade with just at touch of their thumb. These knives are not "combat" knives. They're not designed for that. They're general purpose utility tool knives. Real combat knives are fixed blade bayonets, or the same thing without a muzzle loop and lug lock on the hilt (e.g. Ka-Bar). If you're down to using one of those, you're in deep, deep kimchi and about to have a Very Bad Day (https://www.urbandictiona...p?term=In%20Deep%20Kimchi).

I've seen numerous reviews of the knives with "flick open" spring assisted one-hand mechanisms. Nearly all the reviewers flick the thing open and shut incessantly during the review, to the point of becoming annoying. It's the one-hand open and closing knife version of a fidget spinner. I quit watching those reviews on YouTube long ago. For those that want a folding pocket knife that snaps open and shut with near zero effort, more power to them. I see it as a possible "convenience" (for me a highly questionable one), but not a necessity.

John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:57:00 PM by jalind »
John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:31:02 PM
and JOhn, as a matter of fact, with very little practice you can close any lockback with one hand,
I did it with my Hunter Pro and do it with my Cold Steels on occasion  :whistle:

I use a leg, table, door, or other fixed thing  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:36:13 PM
Excellent points here... :tu:
For now, couch commandos shape the market and the marketing of a major segment of the knife world. Mach 2 opening ability on a knife used to open an envelope or cut down cardboard, or get that nagging thread from hanging off your shirt sleeve. Which can be handled admirably well with a Vic Classic.

The road to perdition is lined with dead spring-assisted knives. Granted, there are some beautifully engineered expensive folders out there, and if anyone can afford them, fine, no criticism from me. But for self-protection give me an oak walking stick, and for cardboard and boxes a cheap box-cutter will do. 

us Offline gregpost

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:48:39 PM
If you have any experience with multitool knives with locks, you'll find it very easy to open and close this with one hand.

Maybe those reviewers are knife enthusiast and not multitool users.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:26:05 PM
Some people are probably comparing these relatively cheap SAKs to very pricy knives, which are so beautifully put together that they open and close almost via telepathy.
I only have one reasonably expensive knife, a Böker with a 260 euro price tag - and sure, it opens and closes a lot more smoothly than a 24 euro Wenger Ranger! As indeed it should. (I have 3 OH Rangergrips, none of which cost more than 40 Euros.)
Can I open my Rangergrips and close them again one handed? Absolutely. Would they be smoother with brass washers? Definitely, but they would also be four times as expensive.
My only regret is that my Wenger Snow Ranger has become super-stiff to thumb open, and no amount of oil can fix it.
All in all these are terrific knives - compared to any US made Spyderco they are cheap too, and usually offer a lot more functionality.
I've had similar problems with a few knives I've built. Two reasons were the cause: dirt between liner(s) and backspring.

Almost the same thing; The other were that the pin holding on to the backspring were to tight, making it hard for lubricants to get between liners and backspring.

How to remedy any of them two problems is a bit over my expertise I forces a thin flat screwdriver and bent :facepalm:

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD