Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

History Buffs (or geeks)

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
History Buffs (or geeks)
on: April 26, 2018, 08:05:08 PM
I've been a bit of a history buff, mostly about ancient Rome and some ancient Greece and Egypt for quite a while...

Anyone else having fun reading and learning about history of the mankind for over various times?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: History Buffs (or geeks)
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:17:34 PM
Yep - big history fan.  Anything from the dawn of time onwards but mainly Neanderthal, pre-Roman, medieval, Elizabethan and tudor.
 :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:18:27 PM
Yep - big history fan.  Anything from the dawn of time onwards but mainly Neanderthal, pre-Roman, medieval, Elizabethan and tudor.

So anything Time Team? ;)

I love Time Team btw...  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:20:40 PM
Not totally related, but I have been in an ancient Greek philosophy reading spree lately..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:46 PM
Yes!
Im currently listening to Dan Carlins Hardcore history podcasts.
Right now im listeing to show 58, King of Kings episode 3 (its about the rise of the Persian empire and the war with the greek states)

And offcourse everything about the Viking age.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:24:44 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:26:01 PM
My favorite age is the time of Roman Republic, I mean there was some much politics, intrigue and just plain old backstabbing during that era that its funnier to read than most fantasy novels  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:32:19 PM
My favorite age is the time of Roman Republic, I mean there was some much politics, intrigue and just plain old backstabbing during that era that its funnier to read than most fantasy novels  :D
We're lucky here in Bath to have the Roman baths - as residents we get free entry so we go quite often. It's an amazing place and has been a place of worship since way before the Romans arrived. 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:13:30 PM
History classes were my favourite non-technical classes during school! :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:49 PM
We're lucky here in Bath to have the Roman baths - as residents we get free entry so we go quite often. It's an amazing place and has been a place of worship since way before the Romans arrived.
So....since khorne?

Awesome history Mags.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:30:16 PM
A fan of crazy historic antics? Yep. Haven't been doing much reading or listening lately though
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 10:50:03 PM
So....since khorne?

Awesome history Mags.
Funny you should mention that Nate.....

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 10:59:40 PM
I like the medieval era in the UK, like the castles and enjoyed reading about the Kings and Queens, mainly the Plantaganets (sp?).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 12:15:51 PM
if watching Dr.Who travel through time with the TARDIS counts... :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 03:37:40 PM
Can only second this. Dan Carlin is absolutely captivating with his process of tale spinning!
Yes!
Im currently listening to Dan Carlins Hardcore history podcasts.
Right now im listeing to show 58, King of Kings episode 3 (its about the rise of the Persian empire and the war with the greek states)

And offcourse everything about the Viking age.

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 04:00:11 PM
A big fan of history. Specifically as a study for giving context and perspective to our own current existence. That and I really belong in the 1930's. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 01:47:00 AM
I've always been sort of interested in medieval tines and Egyptology.

What takes the cake for me though is US Revolutionary War. We forget in this country how much France helped. We tend to take all the credit. How much the signers of the Declaration of Independence lost...How Washington had an opportunity to be king, and how our Founding Fathers saw a bright vision of the future.

That and the US Civil War / War between the states. Sherman march to the sea. The cat and mouse between Lee and Grant. General Grants civility toward Lee and his men after signing the surrender. Lee being pivotal in the Reconstruction.Especially how, although Lincoln was against slavery, his main goal was to keep the union together - and he said it himself -  whether he did so by ending slavery, or did so by keeping slavery.

WWII and the Cold War era...need I say more.

As an aside, really interesting autobiographical  book if you can get it: Spy Catcher by Peter Wright.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 03:46:23 AM
I don't know if this counts, but I have been fascinated by technological history. From the first mechanical computers, vacuum tube systems, early transistor technology and early portable computer systems. I still have a small collection of suitcase style portable computers in my workshop. Most of them i restored by replacing swollen capacitors, rebuilding the MFM drives, and calibrating the old style 5.25" & 8" softdisk drives.
My prized early portable computer is the Texas Instruments Portable PC with Color display. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 09:09:42 AM
Hubby's major in college was History.

Most focused area of interest for him is Egyptian stuff. But he loves most history minus stuff about the World Wars... strangely enough.

I love history, but most interesting to me are various technological advances. So, sunken ships, ancient carts, Otzi's backpack, metallurgy, stuff like that. I also love 'experimental archaeology'. Kind of off topic, I guess.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 07:28:29 PM
Historian by trade here!  :D

I mean I have a Master's level degree in history, but I wouldn't call myself a historian as I never did academic work, I went a different path, but I love history, obviously. :D My main interests are human prehistory, medieval Europe, military history, people's history, experimental archeology.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 08:06:14 AM

The lead curses are fascinating for their little window into Roman life ... nothing much changes clearly! :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 08:15:11 AM
I like the medieval era in the UK, like the castles and enjoyed reading about the Kings and Queens, mainly the Plantaganets (sp?).

I keep meaning to visit Towton ...
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 08:34:56 AM
My hometown Den Bosch is one of the oldest cities in The Netherlands, obtaining borough rights as early as 1184 AD. The oldest brick-and-mortar building of the country is here too. The city has a rich history which is fun to read about because traces can be found almost everywhere.

Moriaan.jpg
* Moriaan.jpg (Filesize: 561.84 KB)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:38:15 AM by Ron Who »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 11:24:24 AM
My hometown Den Bosch is one of the oldest cities in The Netherlands, obtaining borough rights as early as 1184 AD. The oldest brick-and-mortar building of the country is here too. The city has a rich history which is fun to read about because traces can be found almost everywhere.
I like old buildings, there's something interesting about them. The things that they've seen...

And it always amazes me that the typical village church (or some other building, sometimes) in Europe is not unlikely to be older than some countries as we know them, including the USA...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 11:46:13 PM
Love history.
Majored in history in college.
Taught High School history classes for a short time.
Never stopped reading and studying history, specifically American Civil War and WWIl.

And yet there is so much in world history  I have not even scratched the surface of.
I now have more time to devote to the subject.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 03:35:36 AM
We just got a ride with a lyft and she was great, and she even informed us of a place near by called The Holocaust Memorial Center, and the wife is an absolute Anne Frank nut, so needless to say this summer we are getting company that’s staying two weeks so we will definitely be going there!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 03:04:55 PM

And yet there is so much in world history  I have not even scratched the surface of.

the more you wait, the more History there will be!  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 05:51:24 PM

the more you wait, the more History there will be!  :D

Wait long enough and you´ll be history yourself.  :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 06:17:16 AM
Long time history buff, particularly American Revolution to World War II.

Just finished 'Tommy', by Richard Holmes. About the British soldier in WWI. Excellent book!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 02:43:46 PM

Yes, in all truth history teaches us all...

but Chuck Norris teaches history!  :D
My toys:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 04:35:40 PM
You should be careful what sources you choose.

:pok: :pok:

Show content
This is mine:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD