Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPint Overview Mighty Little MT 2933

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,744 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: PowerPint Overview Mighty Little MT
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2018, 02:40:10 AM »
All sites are back to saying preorder...  :facepalm:

Is there anything on your Pints to designate it as a first production run?
Possibly the different cast SOG logos on the pliers. :think:
There aren't any numbers or anything, so it's hard to tell.
I hope the Pint can dig SOG out of their metaphorical hole. :)

Main collections: SOG, Gerber, Leatherman, Victorinox. Also lots of cheap & cheerful tools.
Hero Member Posts: 709
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
All sites are back to saying preorder...  :facepalm:

Is there anything on your Pints to designate it as a first production run?
Possibly the different cast SOG logos on the pliers. :think:
There aren't any numbers or anything, so it's hard to tell.
I hope the Pint can dig SOG out of their metaphorical hole. :)

Interesting. And yeah, no date stamps or anything.

I guess I'll be pretty annoyed if a second run comes out with a proper, functional file. :) But of course it would be a positive for future buyers, and a good step from the company if they improve the quality.
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »
Hey Exeter,
If the newer ones have good files, then we must immediately request SOG send us just the files to install ourselves. :D

Main collections: SOG, Gerber, Leatherman, Victorinox. Also lots of cheap & cheerful tools.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,423
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2018, 03:53:57 PM »
Hey Exeter,
If the newer ones have good files, then we must immediately request SOG send us just the files to install ourselves. :D
+1 :gimme: :gimme:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
Hey Exeter,

Indeed. (Why haven't I thought of that in the first place?)
No Life Club Posts: 1,469
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »
I was working on the scissors the whole afternoon and I think I have figured out what's wrong with it. It's simply a case of bad design. The angle of the "V" opening of the 2 blades are totally off. They does not provide any slicing action but rather 2 pieces of metal trying to go past each other at a very steep angle. It's more like chopping than slicing. The short length of the handle makes it even worse.  :think: I hope people can understand. The left hand cut post another problem. U try to draw a straight line on a piece of paper and try to cut it. You will get what I mean. In case you are wondering, the dime scissors uses a left handed design. So it doesn't cut well either though mine doesn't have much issues. So imo, there's no way to significantly improve the scissors. Well its a small scissors for small tasks. Not the end of the world, but I would say it's a bad failed design.

The awl is extremely well designed. But it drew blood the second day on using it.... When u have the PE blade out, watch where your middle finger is resting. There's a high chance it may wander into the handle frame, into the awl. I was aware of this danger so I am always very mindful of it. But that day, I was just fidgeting with the MT and my finger still got caught on the awl.. So this tool is having a trip to the grinder. But it's really a awl with the optimal pokey power. All awls should be made in this design..
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
I was working on the scissors the whole afternoon and I think I have figured out what's wrong with it. It's simply a case of bad design. The angle of the "V" opening of the 2 blades are totally off. They does not provide any slicing action but rather 2 pieces of metal trying to go past each other at a very steep angle. It's more like chopping than slicing. The short length of the handle makes it even worse.  :think: I hope people can understand. The left hand cut post another problem. U try to draw a straight line on a piece of paper and try to cut it. You will get what I mean. In case you are wondering, the dime scissors uses a left handed design. So it doesn't cut well either though mine doesn't have much issues. So imo, there's no way to significantly improve the scissors. Well its a small scissors for small tasks. Not the end of the world, but I would say it's a bad failed design.

The awl is extremely well designed. But it drew blood the second day on using it.... When u have the PE blade out, watch where your middle finger is resting. There's a high chance it may wander into the handle frame, into the awl. I was aware of this danger so I am always very mindful of it. But that day, I was just fidgeting with the MT and my finger still got caught on the awl.. So this tool is having a trip to the grinder. But it's really a awl with the optimal pokey power. All awls should be made in this design..

Sam, how/what are you planning to modify the awl exactly? So far I managed to avoid being stabbed or cut by it, but got close to it myself, so I'd be interested to hear your (planned) solution. Are you thinking of deepening that little notch at the bottom for it to lie a bit deeper when closed?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:27:31 PM by Exeter »
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »

Sam, how/what are you planning to modify the awl exactly? So far I managed to avoid being stabbed or cut by it, but got close to it myself, so I'd be interested to hear your (planned) solution. Are you thinking of deepening that little notch at the bottom for it to lie a bit deeper when closed?

I am not going that direction.. That would make that particular tools recessed and sort of ruin the outlook.. I just grounded some material off the back of the awl. Its still super effective.

It doesn't have to be much and doesn't seem much. But enough to be safe.
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »
Ah, I see, nice and simple. I overthought it. :D
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »
Well.. :facepalm: I just snapped my spring for the scissors.. I swear I was using it normally.. Can't say I am surprised.. So this marks the end for my ranting of the scissors..   :whistle:
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
Well.. :facepalm: I just snapped my spring for the scissors.. I swear I was using it normally.. Can't say I am surprised.. So this marks the end for my ranting of the scissors..   :whistle:
Not again :rant:
This is happening a couple of times now  :ahhh :ahhh
It happened to a member on here with the PAD
Were the spring broke for the lock mechanism  ??? >:(

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »
Not again :rant:
This is happening a couple of times now  :ahhh :ahhh
It happened to a member on here with the PAD
Were the spring broke for the lock mechanism  ??? >:(

To be honest, I am not really surprised by it. Not even angry.. Amused really.

Not really sure what u meant by "Were the spring broke for the lock mechanism  ???" .. But looking at the spring method they have used for the locking tabs, I think that will be another very possible failure...

I am pretty fast at working/breaking apart things nowadays.. its midnight now so I am only using "quiet" hand tools.. Some changes were made to the loadout. Broken scissors and serrated blade removed.  :cheers:

Some filing work of course. Though the pivot size are different, It doesn't prevent the wave scissors to lock up properly and perfectly functional. The wave scissors was from my parts bin.The thumb pad was broken originally, that's why the handles on this scissors are so short. If done on a proper wave scissors, It should be another 10mm longer, which is a very decent length. Mighty package opener from a Dime of course.( from ThePeacent )

:multi:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:34:09 PM by Sam Lim »
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
Sorry for not explaining it properly
And my bad spelling :rofl:
The springs I mean are on the handle
Better way here is a pic  :tu: :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:50:58 PM by Wspeed »

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2018, 09:05:31 PM »
Sorry for not explaining it properly
And my bad spelling :rofl:
The springs I mean are on the handle
Better way here is a pic  :tu: :cheers:

Ok thats what I thought. Mine is not broken, yet... But I do believe they will eventually...
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
I would love to see a replaceable spring system
That can just be clipped on to the handles  :think: :tu:

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2018, 02:05:29 AM »
I think Gerber(saf-t-lock) is the only current producer of an MT with replaceable springs. LM, Vic, and SOG have permanent springs. Either riveted on (Vic) or part of the handle.
Some exemptions apply, but for the most part, these comanies really don't care about a tool lasting forever.

But, SOG, the springs need to hold up more than a week. :facepalm:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,104 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »

But, SOG, the springs need to hold up more than a week. :facepalm:

the only two things I've broken in my SOGs are a scissors spring  :rant:  and a dented cable cutter  :facepalm:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
SOG and Gerber seem to have a hard time figuring out how to temper scissors springs. I wish they would do back to the old spring ribbon/wire concept. :facepalm:

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
SOG and Gerber seem to have a hard time figuring out how to temper scissors springs. I wish they would do back to the old spring ribbon/wire concept. :facepalm:

Yeah. Those are pretty much fail proof.
Full Member Posts: 153
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
Considering that the file is nothing to write home about, I thought it would be useful to shape the end as a scrapper. (Is that what it is? English isn't my first language...) You can see before and after the Dremel treatment.

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI VNS-L31 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2018, 07:57:23 PM »
Excellent improvement, Sakpan!

:like:

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
Considering that the file is nothing to write home about, I thought it would be useful to shape the end as a scrapper. (Is that what it is? English isn't my first language...) You can see before and after the Dremel treatment.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty nice!  :tu: Great idea, maybe I'll try that too.
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
It has been a while since the Pint came out. My thoughts are mostly positive.

Pros:
Compound leverage on the mid-sized plier head.
Outside tool access.
Locking tools.
Pocketable.
Stronger than expected.
After the tool went through a 'break-in' period, the tools and pliers deploy, lock and unlock smoothly and a slight snap holdin the tools in now (not perfect, but acceptable).
Easy to disassemble.
After a while, the scissors got a bit easier to use. Not great, but mediocre.

Cons:
My first one had a screw head break off when using the phillips driver hard. SOG took care of it. While SOG had it, I bought another one. It has had no problems so far.
Scissors are uncomfortable on harder materials.
File is mediocre at best.
Cutter hook came dull and the design isn't effective
You have to slightly open the handles to unlock the tools

I may be forgetting something, but those are my thoughts so far.

Full Member Posts: 153
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
And I almost forgot: I mentioned I didn't really like the stowash finish, so I polished the middle "panel" on the handles. It came out pretty nice, at least for my eyes. It's not easy to show on camera, but irl it looks quite stylish like this.
This is really beautiful! How did you do it? Sandpaper? What kind of grit?

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
And I almost forgot: I mentioned I didn't really like the stowash finish, so I polished the middle "panel" on the handles. It came out pretty nice, at least for my eyes. It's not easy to show on camera, but irl it looks quite stylish like this.
This is really beautiful! How did you do it? Sandpaper? What kind of grit?

I used 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper if I remember correctly and then green polishing compound.

Operational Funds

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $158.19
PayPal Fees: $10.16
Net Balance: $148.03
Below Goal: $126.97
Site Currency: USD
54%