Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rust

Offline Kardar2

• New User
Rust
on: May 28, 2018, 03:33:24 PM
Hello,
I am a swimming pool tech and My leatherman is rusting badly. I am going to drop it in some vinegar today. I thought the leatherman was stainless steel. Even the blade is rusting. What would be a good multi tool to use around water. Thanks

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rust
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 03:43:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Kadar  :cheers:

Your Leatherman is stainless but even stainless steel will rust if exposed to moist condituions long enough. The pool chemicals you are around may contribute to the problem.

There are some rust preventing wipes you can use to help in extreme conditions

like this

https://www.theruststore.com/Tuf-Cloth-P67.aspx

Some will come along and say get a Swisstool as they don't rust as easily but with a little preventative care you shouldn't have a problem with your Leatherman.

What model do you have ?

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 03:47:56 PM
I agree, chemicals and pool chlorine are very corrosive, I will use SEAL 1 to prevent rust.

Enjoy!

Offline Kardar2

• New User
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 04:10:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Kadar  :cheers:

Your Leatherman is stainless but even stainless steel will rust if exposed to moist condituions long enough. The pool chemicals you are around may contribute to the problem.

There are some rust preventing wipes you can use to help in extreme conditions

like this

https://www.theruststore.com/Tuf-Cloth-P67.aspx

Some will come along and say get a Swisstool as they don't rust as easily but with a little preventative care you shouldn't have a problem with your Leatherman.

What model do you have ?
[a wave and surge]

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
SOGs are also said to be stainless. Maybe you go the way of those patentedandawsomelysexy SOG tools?...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:21 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

As already said stainless is not rustfree but only rust resistant ;)  Wet environments will rust most stainless steel (shiny is a bit more resistant)  but all will rust if around certain chemicals :salute:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:17:56 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 04:16:09 PM
Welcome.  Not even the Swisstools will survive chemical and wet conditions for long without some kind of treatment and constant attention.  I've have personally seen Swisstool rusty.  I live near the ocean and leave my Swisstool in the garage.   Its already needed an application of WD4 to keep the tools from sticking.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 05:20:22 PM
Welcome Kadar

As has been mentiined, protecting even stainless steel in wet environments is necessary.

What model do you have? Reason being, I find the old-school mods to do well against rust because they tend to have a smooth, shiny, polished finish, which I think is more rust resistant. A lot of the newer stuff has a bead blasted finish, which I find more prone to rust.

I don't disagree with anything said so far. All good choices. For me, it's simply a polished finish with a light coating of light machine oil (3-in-1 oil) every now and then. Just wipe the excess away and keep the tool in the sheath so as not to stain your pocket.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:06 PM
as others said, welcome! And things that will get your tool rusted quickly, are

- moist environments, air humidity, hot humidity especially  :ahhh
- chlorine and other chemicals found in pools  :oops:
- bead blasted finishes, open carry (as opposed to sheathed, in a bag, etc.) that allows exposure to humid air  :pok:
- not wiping and drying the tool thoroughly, especially after getting it wet or submersion   :P
- not using a coating agent (3 in 1, ballistol, TuffGlide, maintenance oils, greases, WD40...)  :think:

so I recommend giving it a layer of oil especially at the joints and tool pivots, but hanbing first cleaned and polished the present staining, pitting and  rust.  :cheers:

and maybe switching to older Leatherman (non bead blasted) or more polished tools (Swisstool, SOG...) if you find a suitable tool
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%