Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Klein Electrician Hybrid MT

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: May 30, 2018, 03:38:31 PM
Seems Klein has finally decided to put out a pliers-based multitool of their own design, instead of just what is basically a Utica Kutmaster Multimaster, sold at a huge markup as the Klein Tripsaver Multitool. It doesn't have a ton of features--a beefy plier head that combines knurled jaws, a "heavy duty" (which probably still doesn't mean it can cut hard steel wire) wire cutter, and stripper (12, 14, 16 AWG and stranded), a linerlock (non OHO for some weird reason) 3" 440A blade, as well as Phillips and slotted drivers. Oh, and tweezers or "metal splinter remover" as they call it.   

Seems it's a bit more  reasonable, with an MSRP of $56, and some places have it for $40. Compared to the $70-$100 Tripsaver at least, it's cheap. Since I prefer buying locally, I don't know how much it will be through the mine supply place near my house--hopefully somewhere below MSRP.  I think I might just be getting myself one.  The tool seems rather well built, with no tools I'll rarely use, and very strong pliers, I like it.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multi-tools/electricians-hybrid-plier-multi-tool#

Youtube link:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:42:58 PM by cody6268 »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Klein Electrician Hybrid MT
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:48:54 PM
Oh, that's very interesting.  :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:11:32 PM
I salivate just by looking at the thickness of the pliers.  :ahhh I want one.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:36:10 PM
Interesting plier design.  Seems like a lot of wasted space in the handles.
- Steve

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:59:29 PM
Pretty bad reviews from sparkys that I have read so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:14 PM
Pretty bad reviews from sparkys that I have read so far

Darn... I just ordered one... Do you have a link to that?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 07:26:13 PM
Not really sorry
I have seen some talk on electrician talk on tapatalk too
Also it might be just perfect to you!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:51:18 PM by ezdog »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:25 PM
Not really sorry

:cheers: the built on the video looks promising though.. I am a electrician by trade. Will see how it goes when I finally receive it.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 10:02:24 PM
They finally figured out that a working day tool doesn't need a can opener. :like:

ca Offline Walley

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:43:24 AM
i have been shopping around lately for a wire stripper multitool, too bad this misses one of my main of my criteria.
the wire gauge is too limited. it should go down to 20 awg at minimum. i can strip 12 awg with a blade just as well.
i would love to see an MT wire stripping tool that does 14 to 24 gauge wire.
i do like Klein tools though, my tool bag is full of them!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 08:53:28 AM
Not really sorry

:cheers: the built on the video looks promising though.. I am a electrician by trade. Will see how it goes when I finally receive it.
Klein makes top notch products. Hope it helps in a bind or saves some time for you.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 10:29:47 AM
They finally figured out that a working day tool doesn't need a can opener. :like:

That has to be the best quote I've read here for a long time

You sir are wise beyond your years  :salute:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 10:53:55 AM
I see this as:

a. The same type of offering we see from non-multitool brands (Craftsman, Vise Grip, Husky, etc.) trying to do a multitool with the signature traits present in their ordinary tools (vise grip pliers + knife + screwdriver on the ViseGrip, wire stripper + knife + screwdriver on the Klein, etc.) :gimme:
That is, a overseas produced tool with relatively high price for the amount of tools, but different from what we usually see and with speSmurfpillsed uses

b. A good tool for someone looking exactly for that specific function that the tool is built around (wire stripping, clamping pliers, shears, hammer head, adjustable wrench...) and other small shenanigans and uses that the specific hand tools do not provide (blades, files, drivers).
For that reason anybody who uses that function above all maybe finds his ideal multitool in that model, for everybody else it will usually be a drawback or annoyance having that function as the center of the tool.  :salute:

I guess the non OHO tool is to avoid legal issues and make it carryable in most workplaces and job sites with strict rules for OHO knives  :think:

And I hope the drivers lock too, I couldn't catch that in the video  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:05:55 PM
Jack if all trades Master if none us the general al impression to me?

I use Klein all day long but nothing about this one compels me now,I got HD to open one for me too.

Strippers too limited in range,drivers should interchange like Centerdrive,cutters in bad spot and small?

Even the Pliers seem off to me.

I think most of us carry Flex Striper,11 in 1 driver and dikes or linemans and are used to doing so and if it is broken........

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 01:36:40 PM
Well, I am thinking simpler.. I just bought it as it is something different. And to satisfy my compulsive  buying disorder..  :facepalm:

As a electrician, I never see myself using this type of stripper.. If there's much stripping work to do, we all use those automatic wire stripper doesn't all of us? Even a prune cutter or pliers works for ad-hoc tasks.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
It looks pretty cool, love my Klein tools, but agree seems like there is a lot of wasted space. The squirt e model has more stuff but not as robust and more portable.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 12:33:49 PM
It looks pretty cool, love my Klein tools, but agree seems like there is a lot of wasted space. The squirt e model has more stuff but not as robust and more portable.

there's also the Gerber Groundbreaker, SOG Paladin Electrician's version , Sheffield 12 in 1 Electrician's tool, B&S ToolZall Pro Electrician,  the SOG implement for wire stripping and the SOG Kilowatt folder apart from the Squirt if you really are into cable stripping and such  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 01:19:44 PM
I received mine today! To be honest, expected more of it..

The pliers while well formed, nicely machined, doesn't cut stranded wire with insulation cleanly. It still leaves some strand uncut...

Phillips and flathead are nice and quite good. But that's all the tools included..

The main blade is sharp. No complains here.

This thing is big, bulky and heavy!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 02:25:09 PM
I received mine today! To be honest, expected more of it..

The pliers while well formed, nicely machined, doesn't cut stranded wire with insulation cleanly. It still leaves some strand uncut...

Phillips and flathead are nice and quite good. But that's all the tools included..

The main blade is sharp. No complains here.

This thing is big, bulky and heavy!

then you have a good, sturdy and odd looking paperweight that will start some interesting conversations  :D
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%