Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue Knives vs. Belt

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Rescue Knives vs. Belt
Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 07:46:49 AM
"...and you will have two knives", says Peacent.

Yep. I suppose this is where it starts.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 09:58:13 AM
Looking forward to your thoughts on it TB. Rustproofness is what drew me down the Spyderco rabbit hole that and MTo
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 11:24:11 AM
Looking forward to your thoughts on it TB. Rustproofness is what drew me down the Spyderco rabbit hole that and MTo

Rustproofness = supecoolness, and it also drove me to Spyderco,
I fell into the rabbit Spydie hole in no time!!  :D

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 11:26:02 AM
If I may interject...

Great testing, Sir Ether...Well done.

Peacent - all good points!

Eamo...respectfully...by your own standards, the Spyderco should be tops. If the Palm knife cuts 80 percent on first cut but needed a second cut, why is it considered tops if the Spyderco that cuts 95 -99% in one cut- leaving only threads- considered second? As an ex EMT, I am curious for your answer on this, as I already know my answer. Being on the highway at night in the rain, trying to extricate someone from a car, or cutting a kayaker free, I would rather cut once and pull, instead of cut twice and pull. Are you being fair in your assessment?

Ether- I know there may be very little difference, but could you please put the Byrd Cara Cara 2 "Rescue 2" through the same test (if you have one)? I am curious if we get good "bang for the buck?" I am thinking of getting either a Spyderco Atlantic Salt or a Byrd Rescue 2 and would love to know what a difference $90 can make (aside from rust resistance).

I have found that my Leatherman Surge serrated sheepsfoot blade cuts through nylon webbing belt and velcro strips like butter. I imagine it is similar to the Wave in this respect.

Thanks Ether!

Hi TB the palm was the first of the 3 I tested. I didn't rank them.

Top is Palm Equipment rescue knife - this took two goes to cut through the seatbelt, first cut about 80% and the second finished the job.

Middle is the Spyderco Saver Salt - took one cut though theres was a thread or two left, these broke easily without needing a second run.

Bottom the resqume - this was a chore...

Ah, my apologies,  Eamo. I mistook description of physical position in the photo, for ranking.

I'll be over here earing my hat...

Well, rereading what i wrote yeah i can see where you're coming from.

The spyderco saver salt lives in my BA. If i could afford to I would replace my palm knives with them but if you think they're expensive in the US then try anywhere in europe  :ahhh
Mine came to me via a family member in the states  :D

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 11:27:59 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl:

haven't got bitten by the hawkbill bug yet, and doubt i will given the cost of those things  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 11:54:16 AM

haven't got bitten by the hawkbill bug yet, and doubt i will given the cost of those things  :D

Oh, those hawkbills do bite you can be sure  :ahhh :whistle:

in fact is the style of blade that has biten me the most, that tip is so nasty!!  :facepalm:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 12:02:16 PM

in fact is the style of blade that has biten me the most, that tip is so nasty!!  :facepalm:

yeah, you're not convincing me i want a hawkbill  :D (i definitely don't need one but hey this is MTo)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 01:05:51 PM

yeah, you're not convincing me i want a hawkbill  :D (i definitely don't need one but hey this is MTo)

these can be had for less than a dinner for two at a restaurant! :pok:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPBY22SBK/spyderco-byrd-by22sbk-meadowlark-hawkbill-folding-knife-serrated-blade-black-frn-handles

My toys:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 01:09:05 PM

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPBY22SBK/spyderco-byrd-by22sbk-meadowlark-hawkbill-folding-knife-serrated-blade-black-frn-handles
Are we talking a restaurant in Switzerland or rural America? :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 01:09:58 PM

yeah my other half would prefer dinner in a restaurant  :P not that she doesn't indulge my .  . . . idiosyncrasies 

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 01:11:18 PM
so i got a ladybug to give as a gift - before wrapping it i had to test it  :D same test, cut the seatbelt in 2 goes and the 10mm climbing rope also in 2 goes for such a tiny knife i was well impressed with how easily it cut.

TB you get your cara cara yet ?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 05:48:51 PM
so i got a ladybug to give as a gift - before wrapping it i had to test it  :D same test, cut the seatbelt in 2 goes and the 10mm climbing rope also in 2 goes for such a tiny knife i was well impressed with how easily it cut.

TB you get your cara cara yet ?

Nice knives and good tests, Eamo.

No, the Cara Cara Rescue 2 is due in sometime today by 9pm Local time. I took the day off to work on my Jeep and am keeping an eye out for the delivery, though.

I'm already scanning the net for a Saver Salt and a 79mm Rescue, not to mention the Atlantic Salt that I only handled for a few minutes. I'm not ready to squeeze the trigger on any of those deals, but I'm afraid I've been bitten by the Spyder and I don't even own one yet...

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 05:59:51 PM
I find myself drawn to smaller blades, i can now understand why the dragonfly is such a big hit, for such a small knife it handles well (to me anyway, i'm not a collector and my experience is quite limited). The saver salt is likely as big as i'll need to go.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 08:23:41 PM
I have this great little Ed Halligan CRKT K.I.S.S. that I've had about 15 years. Little money clip style. Always liked it, but broke the very tip off, and it doesn't open smoothly now that it can catch on its own frame.

Great little knife though. Nice combo blade.

Still waiting on Cara Cara...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 02:13:28 AM
Ok!

I received the Spyderco Byrd Rescue 2. Cara Cara 2 is listed nowhere on the box or knife. I don't know why it is called that then. The knife handle (orange) is Byrd Rescue 2. The box has Rescue 2 Orange on the end, and Cara 2 on a sticker on the bottom. I will call it the Rescue 2 from here on out.

A full on review may be called for here, and I may do one in a comparison with the Buck 110 EcoLite Paper stone in Green. But for now...

First off, right out the box, Jesus H. SMURF, this damn knife is "wicked shaaaahhhp" as we say in Boston. Sharp sharp. As in, sharp as a Buck 110 sharp. Right out of the box. The Rescue 2 is hair popping sharp.

Fit and finish, not perfect, but not bad

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 04:10:28 AM
Just for some real world stats I took some measurements:

BUCK 110 ECOLITE PAPERSTONE

Length closed 123mm
Height closed 33mm (back strap to spine profile)
Width 15mm
Blade length (lock surface to tip) 102mm
Cutting edge length about 86mm
Spine width 3mm
Weight 4+ Oz or 120 grams
Blade type Plain Edge
OHO No
OH Closed Yes but assisted with leg
Carry type Sheath nylon
Lanyard hole No

BYRD CARA RESCUE 2

Length closed 123mm
Height closed 43mm
Width 10
Blade length (lock surface to tip) 103
Cutting edge length about 87
Spine width 3mm
Weight 3.6 Oz or 102.5 grams
Blade type Serrated Edge
OHO Yes
OH Closed Yes
Carry type Pocket clip
Lanyard hole Yes

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 04:43:07 AM
I like the classics. Usually made of beautiful, older world materials. Tried and true. Trusty and so and so. While neither of these knives i am comparing is a true classic, one of them has more classic roots than the other. I prefer the classics, which is why I bought a Buck knock off (Browning model 810) decades before I ever thought about buying a Spyderco or derrivative, and recently bought two actual Bucks. Also ahead of Spyderco. I was first introduced to Spyderco around 1995 or 1996. I had no interest in this new fangled Tacti-Cool piece of blah blah. By the way, I'd already been an EMT for years. I still didn't like it. Plain edge and just as pointy as the Browning 810 I had just bought, and surely not as elegant or substantial. The Spyderco felt rather weak and chincy to me back then, maybe because I was used to some heft.

Fast forward 20 plus years when I bought a Spyderco Atlantic Salt to give to a member who would be working on a ship in the Atlantic for the foreseeable future. I wanted to check to be sure it was all there and functioned before I gave it away. Frankly, I almost didn't give it.

Wow.

Moving on, that Atlantic Salt hits the wallet hard so I've just purchased this Byrd Rescue 2 as a consolation - I like it. I really like it! What have I been missing these last 20 years?!

The Byrd handles are Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon with a dual directional "feathers" pattern, while this Buck is sporting Paperstone scales, made of linen and paper soaked in resin and smooth.

The Byrd is far more grip-able and the choil on the Byrd provides much more control and does so more safely. While the Buck has a bit of a ricasso or choil, it's not nearly as pronounced as the Byrd, and I worry my hand could slip forward during a thrusting action or when wet. The jimping on the choil and spine (behind the thumb hole) of the Byrd instills more confidence.

Though, I will say, if I had to grip these knives hard and use them like that for any length of time, the Buck Eco Lite would be my choice of the two.

You know how sometimes it's just a little more difficult to hold something that's just a bit narrower than the other? This is where the Buck takes it. The Byrd's pocket clip is a big part of why it hurts in the hand by comparison,  but it's not the only reason why. Also harder edges of the handles. And besides, as I said earlier, the Byrd wins for in-hand retention

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 04:54:25 AM
It is almost 11pm here so this is not a good time to test the belt and cordage cuts. I hope to do some of that tomorrow. I'm thinking old seat belt if I can find some, a Lupine dog leash, maybe some nylon web lashing such as is found on a backpack, and some rope in the back of my Jeep.

If anyone wants to see something else cut, or any other specific tests, let me know.

But for now I tested both blades on the hair of my left arm and they were equally matched giving my arm a shave.

Then was paper. Whew, they flew through receipt paper and lined composition paper very well.

Overall, I am already quite pleased with the purchase of the Byrd Cara Rescue 2. A Budget Atlantic or Saver Salt to be sure.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:26 AM
Good job Thundah pics too when you've time

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 01:51:54 PM
yup  :2tu: :popcorn:

and it's amazing what the Byrd line gives you for the $  :ahhh :salute:
My toys:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 06:41:29 PM
Apologies to Ether, I seem to have hijacked this t he ead and turned it into a "battle of the knives" review between Byrd Rescue 2 and Buck 110 Eco.

I will try to concentrate on the Byrd Rescue 2's ability to be a rescue knife here, and perhaps open a new thread for a review and comparison to the Buck.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 09, 2018, 06:42:30 PM
yup  :2tu: :popcorn:

and it's amazing what the Byrd line gives you for the $  :ahhh :salute:

^^^

True

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 13, 2018, 07:22:35 PM
PASS, SUMMA CUM LAUDE

#1 Spyderco Clipit Rescue
After the stellar performance of the Dragonfly II, I was not surprised that its bigger brother surpassed every other blade I have.

This was a close call.
Pure cutting performance the Spyderco has a slight edge over the Vics. Locking is clearly also a bonus (though the Hunter has that too). The Spyderco has by far the widest blade with the bluntest tip, which could be problematic when having to get under a belt. I think the tip of the Rescue Tool would work best (I will try to make a test for that)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 13, 2018, 07:27:50 PM
PASS, SUMMA CUM LAUDE

#1 Spyderco Clipit Rescue
After the stellar performance of the Dragonfly II, I was not surprised that its bigger brother surpassed every other blade I have.

This was a close call.
Pure cutting performance the Spyderco has a slight edge over the Vics. Locking is clearly also a bonus (though the Hunter has that too). The Spyderco has by far the widest blade with the bluntest tip, which could be problematic when having to get under a belt. I think the tip of the Rescue Tool would work best (I will try to make a test for that)

Hi Ether.

The widened of the Spyderco blade and bluntness if the tip is exactly what helps it get under a seat belt safely, without injuring the patient.

If there is ever any doubt about that, give a try cutting away the shrink wrap from a 24 or 40-pack of plastic water bottles.

First, try with something like a Buck 110, and then with a Spyderco Rescue of any type. You will need to be very careful not to puncture one of the water bottles with the Buck 110, whereas with any good rescue blade, the sheep's foot design is very very forgiving.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 13, 2018, 07:34:21 PM
By the way, I went and purchased the economy version of your Spyderco Rescue - the Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue.

Great knife for the money, and it was absolute excellent in slicing through everything. I made confetti out of notebook paper, even shaving off 1mm wide strips effortlessly.

It cut through paracord and 9.5mm rope with no issues at all, and even cut through a one inch (25mm) nylon woven strap cleanly and with absolute ease.

The very minor fit and finish issues are to be expected with a knife of that price (I paid about $25 shipped from Amazon), but a blade of such quality is a real treat at that price. I might buy a few more and forget all about any Atlantic Salt.

Here are a few pics. I was putting it up against a Buck 110 EcoLite, so you will see that in there as well.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: August 13, 2018, 07:35:18 PM
The Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2 in orange:

2018-08-12 14.33.45.jpg
* 2018-08-12 14.33.45.jpg (Filesize: 433.5 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: August 13, 2018, 07:36:15 PM
Handle detail
2018-08-12 14.35.38.jpg
* 2018-08-12 14.35.38.jpg (Filesize: 365.65 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 13, 2018, 07:37:38 PM
The 25mm strap, as cut by the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2 and by the Buck 110 EcoLite Paperstone  in green:
2018-08-12 14.38.52.jpg
* 2018-08-12 14.38.52.jpg (Filesize: 408.63 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 27, 2018, 01:14:34 PM
Go Beagle!!!

To everyone: What you see is what you get... that is pretty much my whole serrated blade collection.
The widened of the Spyderco blade and bluntness if the tip is exactly what helps it get under a seat belt safely, without injuring the patient.

If there is ever any doubt about that, give a try cutting away the shrink wrap from a 24 or 40-pack of plastic water bottles.
Good idea for a test...
I'm not worried about the injury part, more about maneuvering the blade into a position where it actually cuts. A wider blade needs more room to operate.
I'm also guessing that different blades need different techniques. E.g. with those pointy hawkbills you probably use the tip to puncture the clothing, then cut towards you, that has the potential to make unsupported cutting easier.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 27, 2018, 08:15:12 PM
Go Beagle!!!

To everyone: What you see is what you get... that is pretty much my whole serrated blade collection.

Good idea for a test...
I'm not worried about the injury part, more about maneuvering the blade into a position where it actually cuts. A wider blade needs more room to operate.
I'm also guessing that different blades need different techniques. E.g. with those pointy hawkbills you probably use the tip to puncture the clothing, then cut towards you, that has the potential to make unsupported cutting easier.

Thanks, Ether!

Injury is to be worried about in a rescue blade. The flat sheep's foot blade actually helps maneuver the blade safely between the person and the seatbelt. You the twist your wrist, lifting the blade away from the person and so it bites into the belt at each serration, and pull.

We would never use a hawk bill blade for rescue. That would puncture the clothes for sure, but also the patient. And pulking towards yourself with that tip in the clothes could easily rake your patient apart...Hawkbills are actually great for cutting vegetables and large chunks of meat without it rolling out from under the blade. Not advisable in a rescue.Not easily controlled in emergency environment. Cutting clothes off would be done with emergency shears.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%