Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tip for the beginners...Dremmel and reusing pins makes SAK modding way easier

us Offline tommywp

What’s up guys. Tried my second sak mod today...just wanted to remove the blade layer from and old Wenger, but the first time around peening was the hardest part for me (never did it before). And I remember reading that the peening had to be more precise on Wengers bc the pin heads need to fit into indentations on the inside of the scales. This time around I realized that if I used a Dremmel grinding disc to grind down half a layers worth of the brass pins (1st pic), the grinding would push brass to the sides to start forming the mushroom head that I had trouble forming the first time (2nd pic). This made the rest of the peening MUCH easier. Passed a file across the pins a few times and the scales popped right on...snap seems good. If your good at peening the grinding step is probably a waste of time,but if your not then this is really helpful. Also figured I’d try to show how the pins looked after peening bc it definitely isn’t perfect but seems to be adequate...so this is what good enough looks like (3rd pic)

I also reused the knife’s pins this time around, rather then starting with new pins like I did with my first mod. Having one side of the pins with the factory heads, instead
of my crappy peening, made peening the other side MUCH easier. But to have this option, disassembly has to be done neatly with no bending or twisting.

The Dremmel grinding disc was also a big help during disassembly. Ground the head of the brass pins as close to the liner as I could, then gently pried the liner up pin-by-pin, the thin layer of mushroom head that was left on the pins gave way very easily. Found this to be a huge time savings and nothing got bent whe I removed the layer...as opposed to punching the pins, drilling them out and filing,which is what I did for my first mod and I had to apply much more pressure/twisting to get the tools and liners off.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:50:53 PM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Her she is with her partner in crime. Used the Dremmel to shape the unsharpened Wenger awl in to a technicians driver. I find a 3 layer much less noticeable in the pocket than a 4, so worth the 2 hours of effort to me.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:54:38 PM by tommywp »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Good one tommywp :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
What Wspeed said.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline FInixNOver

Great job! Excellent tips for beginners! :like: :like: :tu:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Nice one  :like: Thanks for sharing too  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline tommywp

Just realized why disassembly was so much easier this time around, Wengers are peend to the scale so you can grind the pins all the way down, where as Vics have the hard to find bushings that you’re trying to save! Bear with me, as I said its only my second try!!

But still, a useful note for beginners...Wengers are way easier to disassemble than Vics

us Offline tommywp

Also, any of you guys know if you can do away with the bushings on a Vic and just peen to the scale like on a Wenger?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Haven't tried but I'm guessing celldor is too brittle and will crack around an expanding pivot. Possibly nylon too.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Haven't tried but I'm guessing celldor is too brittle and will crack around an expanding pivot. Possibly nylon too.
I think he means the bare aluminium liner, not the celidor scale.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline tommywp

Sorry, meant liner
 :whistle:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Yes, would be just fine.  The back tool pin is peened straight down onto the liner, though a nice domed head is formed on the factory pins.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%