Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice mods

gb Offline BePrepared

Juice mods
on: August 12, 2018, 01:16:23 PM
I got some new pivots so decided to take apart my juice KF-8 and use other spare parts to build a KF4 with scissors (i.e. KF4-X, like the SAK Pioneer  :D ), and a 'slim Jim' juice, and a knifeless version with awl and package opener.

I've already posted pics in the Showcase: Mods to plier-based multitools thread

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74592.msg1746269.html#msg1746269
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74592.msg1746278.html#msg1746278
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74592.msg1746280.html#msg1746280

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Juice mods
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:39:48 PM
Nice mods BePrepared... and just perfect timing too... I have a KF-4 with broken backspring that I want to mod as well... Recently sourced the parts needed for it and hope to get it soon... basically wanted to replace the broken backspring and replace the serrated blade with scissors...

What size pivots did you use? :cheers:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:23:17 PM
The pivots for a Juice need to be 1/8" diameter.  For the KF-4 you need 1" long pivots --- I got mine from a USA site, but shipping and import taxes bumped up the price.  Just recently I got some 1/8" pivots from a European supplier, but these were shorter and only just long enough for the 'Slim Jim' one layer mod (and I had to grind down the screws as they were too long).  Interestingly, the US pivots were tight in the Juice, and I had to rub them down a bit to get them to fit, whereas the European ones slid into the holes more easily --- maybe different tolerances?

I did have a cheap highstreet multitool with pivots and screws and I used the pivots from that for my Squirt mod --- I suspect these were 3mm whereas 1/8" is 3.175mm.  If you are really in a bind, you could use a M3 3mm nut and bolt to hold the Juice together.

I used a Dremel to drill out the original pivot --- I ground out the dome mushroom shaped top and was able to push the pivot through --- it helps once one backspring is loose so you can remove the other backsprings, since the tension from the backspring tends to stick the pivot in place.  If you are careful you can save the scales.  But sounds to me like you may only need to remove one pivot.

Once you have the new pieces and pivots in place  there's a technique to get the backsprings in.  For the inner layer I insert the backsprings so they are sticking out from the non-plier end and squeeze the pliers closed so as to give a push on the partly inserted backsprings, then (heavily) tap down the ends sticking out.  There's a nice strong sharp click as the backsprings go into place.  If you need more advice, I can post some pics.

Good luck.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 03:51:39 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info... :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00