Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

a hand drill that works everywhere

Offline jamesmatheson

• New User
a hand drill that works everywhere
on: August 14, 2018, 05:29:15 PM
I am hoping someone will make a hand crank super capacitor hand drill that works everywhere and not just where theres a plug
here is a super capacitor hand drill that charges in 15 seconds with a 5 volt 55 watt plug from my wall
https://www.amazon.com/BLUCAVE-DSD-46FL-2BLU-Flashcell-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B012CHMW5Y
here is a hand crank that is charging a fan ( it should be charging the super capacitor hand drill)

I need my hand drill to work everywhere, no matter where I am, I need my tools
I hope someone will make a hand crank super capacitor hand drill
Its a very small subject that when it is covered will be answered and everyone will be allowed to use their hand drill everywhere, thank you for letting me post
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:30:20 PM by jamesmatheson »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Re: a hand drill that works everywhere
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:43:27 PM
Wouldn't you be better off with an actual hand powered drill?
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:52 PM
Welcome to :MTO:

They have really good battery powered option these days :think: So maybe I am missing the point :shrug: Could you elaborate more please  :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:48 PM

They also make solar powered chargers for phones and such, I’m sure they can be modded to charge a battery for a cordless drill too.

Otherwise I’m sure with an inverter they will work with the regular charger for the cordless drills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:12 PM

+1

Generating electricity by hand cranking and then store electric energy (in a battery, super capacitor, whatever) which will later drive a motor takes many steps. Each step will be less than 100% effective. Thus you will spend more energy overall by hand cranking and going through these steps than actually using a direct hand powered drill. (Many of which are crank based anyway). The purely manual ones are also very reliable as compared to a setup with lot more failure and wear points.

Coolness or gadget factor is of course much higher than for a hand powered drill, but from a pragmatic and reliability viewpoint I'd choose a manual drill for go anywhere tasks away from power.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:43:10 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:10 AM
I would be surprised if you would get more than 50% efficiency with hand crank charged super capacitor drill.

Also hand drills have all the gadget and coolness factor one could want.  :gimme:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 12:41:46 AM
Also hand drills have all the gadget and coolness factor one could want.  :gimme:

The ones I got here are more of a no frills vintage factor - gadget seems to have been very far from the manufacturers priority.  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:53:17 AM
These work everywhere:

Such tools as these have been used to build everything from fine furniture to Man O'Wars.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:32:19 AM
An old saying is "Keep it simple stupid".  The more mechanically simple something is, the less likely it will fail. The old style brace has been used for centuries (and before that, the auger), and it has always worked well (and it's what they built the barn with on the property a century ago, and it's still standing). I have this at least 60 year old Miller's Falls 2-A (made 1938-1957) that I use for most drilling (usually wood). It was left here by the original owners of the house (built in the 1950s), and my folks moved here in 1969. Three electric drills, and a dozen cordless drills have supposedly surpassed it over the years, but this is the only one that still works like new (even the 40 year old Craftsman I use when this won't work needs a new chuck and a full rebuild). 

This article shows how simple it is, just a handful of parts. Those dynamo powered flashlights, when they were a big thing, only lasted me a couple of years. I've got Eveready lanterns going on 10.

http://www.timetestedtools.net/2016/08/04/millers-falls-no-2/

Not to mention, it looks a lot better than the paint spattered, beat-up Hitachi impact, so I can actually display it on a shelf when I'm not using it.  Another I use is a C.M Co, Long Island, NY that I rebuilt (it was a rusted pile of junk when I found it in a barn on a property we leased at the time).  The Miller's Falls is on the left, the C.M. Co is on the right.

2017-01-02_07-55-04 by cody6268, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:35:21 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 01:52:28 AM

Show me a 100-year-old barn, and I'll show you a brace and bit.   :tu:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 02:19:22 AM
An old saying is "Keep it simple stupid".  The more mechanically simple something is, the less likely it will fail. The old style brace has been used for centuries (and before that, the auger), and it has always worked well (and it's what they built the barn with on the property a century ago, and it's still standing). I have this at least 60 year old Miller's Falls 2-A (made 1938-1957) that I use for most drilling (usually wood). It was left here by the original owners of the house (built in the 1950s), and my folks moved here in 1969. Three electric drills, and a dozen cordless drills have supposedly surpassed it over the years, but this is the only one that still works like new (even the 40 year old Craftsman I use when this won't work needs a new chuck and a full rebuild). 

This article shows how simple it is, just a handful of parts. Those dynamo powered flashlights, when they were a big thing, only lasted me a couple of years. I've got Eveready lanterns going on 10.

http://www.timetestedtools.net/2016/08/04/millers-falls-no-2/

Not to mention, it looks a lot better than the paint spattered, beat-up Hitachi impact, so I can actually display it on a shelf when I'm not using it.  Another I use is a C.M Co, Long Island, NY that I rebuilt (it was a rusted pile of junk when I found it in a barn on a property we leased at the time).  The Miller's Falls is on the left, the C.M. Co is on the right.

2017-01-02_07-55-04 by cody6268, on Flickr

Nice one, Cody.

Here's my Miller's Falls 5a, using my Leatherman Super Tool to conduct maintenance...
CAM00062.jpg
* CAM00062.jpg (Filesize: 240.84 KB)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:21:01 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 02:30:04 AM
The key is to keep that bolt tight....but not too tight.   :D :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 07:54:13 AM
Glad to know I am not the only one who still uses a mechanical hand drill. :like:

I don't always use one, but they are great when noise would be an issue or when you don't want drywall dust all over the house. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 11:30:28 AM
Glad to know I am not the only one who still uses a mechanical hand drill. :like:

I don't always use one, but they are great when noise would be an issue or when you don't want drywall dust all over the house. :)

Nothing wrong with still using old school tools, a lot of time they work a whole lot better if you are working on e.g. antique furniture or some old machine, or like you said need to be more gentle with what you are doing.  :)
Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 01:07:59 PM
When I think of a "Hand Drill" I can only thinlk of mechanical and not electrical models anyway?

So as far as I know any hand drill will work anywhere anyway each one powered purely by the operator as the motor.

I use a lot of different drills for a lot of different uses and I still probably use the Yankee Push Drill the most of the non-powered drills but I also surely use powered drills 100 times to each single time that I do not.

https://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-wade-yankee-push-drill-gp.html

I also have ZERO problem using the powered units anywhere and anytime,it is just a matter of having the right tool for the job and if I do I also have charged batteries as needed.

These days there is little you can not do on battery power whether charged in a conventional manner or not.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:09:33 PM by ezdog »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 01:13:30 PM

Nothing wrong with still using old school tools, a lot of time they work a whole lot better if you are working on e.g. antique furniture or some old machine, or like you said need to be more gentle with what you are doing.  :)
+1 Very true. :cheers:

You must know what I do for a living. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 02:01:50 PM

+1 Very true. :cheers:

You must know what I do for a living. :ahhh

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 02:02:32 PM
When I think of a "Hand Drill" I can only thinlk of mechanical and not electrical models anyway?

So as far as I know any hand drill will work anywhere anyway each one powered purely by the operator as the motor.

I use a lot of different drills for a lot of different uses and I still probably use the Yankee Push Drill the most of the non-powered drills but I also surely use powered drills 100 times to each single time that I do not.

https://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-wade-yankee-push-drill-gp.html

I also have ZERO problem using the powered units anywhere and anytime,it is just a matter of having the right tool for the job and if I do I also have charged batteries as needed.

These days there is little you can not do on battery power whether charged in a conventional manner or not.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 02:03:38 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 02:04:17 PM
The key is to keep that bolt tight....but not too tight.   :D :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD