Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going to Berlin, anything to share?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Going to Berlin, anything to share?
on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:10 PM
Hi folks,
to keep it brief, I am going to Berlin at the end of August (day 24 to 28) with two old friends from high school  :ahhh that I always travel with
I am staying on "Amstel House Hostel" (https://www.amstelhouse.de/en/ if you're curious) and just wanted to know:

- Do you live or have been to Berlin? When, why?
- What did you do? What did you like? What wasn't that good? What would you recommend doing, visiting and exploring there?
- Any tips, issues, opinions, thoughts or experiences worth mentioning?

That's all, anything you know or have to say about Berlin is welcome.  :angel:  It's my first time in Germany, I speak fluent English and basic German.    :salute:
I realise, 4 days is short time for such a big and important city, but I want to fully enjoy and use that time to do as much as possible.  :tu:

Thank you!!!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Going to Berlin, anything to share?
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:39:44 PM
Following this one as I'm going there in October

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:47:38 PM
Have a great time in Berlin TP :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:11 PM
The key to a good time in Berlin is IMHO realizing it's not one city, but seven or eight which just happen to be clumped closely together. Each have their own city centre, atmosphere, and specialities. Do get a metro card or something, and use it a lot. There are long distances, but the public transport is good.

Meisterstück, a gastropub, is a good place for a large selection of micro brews.

Museumsinsel and the museum of natural history are both good destinations if you enjoy, well, museums.  :D

Tempelhof is worth visiting for a breather from the city and its history.

I just mentioned a few obvious ones here, but really, Berlin's strength is its almost ridiculous diversity, so buy a book written by somebody who has lived there a while to scope out your thing. My wife commented you could probably be there for a couple of decades without growing bored with the place. It is not a good city regarding knives and multi-tools, though.

(I've been to Berlin for holidays a couple of times the last few years, simply because it's a great city.)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:37:05 PM
Was in Berlin about ten years back. Tremendous variety of things to do! The highlight of my trip was the Gemaldegalerie in the Kulturforum. One of the world's great art museums, but surprisingly little known.

Have a great trip!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:42:32 PM
Sounds like fun!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 03:00:21 PM
thank you all  :)

. Do get a metro card or something, and use it a lot. There are long distances, but the public transport is good.
Meisterstück, a gastropub, is a good place for a large selection of micro brews.

natural history are both good destinations if you enjoy, well, museums.  :D
It is not a good city regarding knives and multi-tools, though.

Great info. Much appreciated  :2tu: I planned on getting a 4-day Public Transport card already,  :angel:
one of my friends is a beer fanatic so he'll want to try out as many different ones as he can, we'll see that place if it's on our routes  :tu:

I love natural history museums (the London and Berlin ones being quite famous) so it's definitely on my list  :cheers:

no worries, I'll carry three SAKs (one for each of us) and a couple Opinels, and one disposable multitool on the checked luggage  :salute:
Probably none of them will make it back to Spain  :D

Was in Berlin about ten years back. Tremendous variety of things to do! The highlight of my trip was the Gemaldegalerie in the Kulturforum. One of the world's great art museums, but surprisingly little known.

Have a great trip!

we always visit at least one big art gallery/art museum on our trips, so this one is an obvious thing to consider. Thanks!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 03:03:43 PM
I often fly without tools and then pick up a knife in the place I'm visiting. Should be able to find a nice souvenir in Berlin. 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:10 PM
Or travel somewhere where you can meet a fellow MTOer. I'm sure they can hook you up with some kit when you arrive! :tu: :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 04:00:48 PM
Ok, for those who care, here are all the pics I took for this forum with the trusty SAK Climber in them   :cheers:

Show content

and a man at the flea market with a Victorinox chain and a LM on the other side  :D

My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 04:05:06 PM
Cool pics TP  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 04:14:55 PM
 :like:

se Offline RF52

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 05:25:51 PM
Great pics TP Looks like a good trip

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 06:11:47 PM
Great pics TP Looks like a good trip

:iagree:
I’ve never been there, but it looks amazing!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21