Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me understand the “SwissToo Spirit”

MMR · 44 · 2291

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Help me understand the “SwissToo Spirit”
on: August 16, 2018, 11:27:06 PM
Just to be clear; this is not meant to be offensive or provocative in any way, I am just asking because I am curious, that’s all.

But anyway; I am trying to understand what “sells” people on the SwissTool Spirit.

To me in terms of tool options and design; it looks like a LM Blast or ST200. Which in today’s catalogue options puts it up against the ST300 and / or Rebar.

Which is what it is for Victorinox making their version of a LM style “pliers based” multitool, instead of their traditional “folding knife” based / style multitools. So far so good.

And of course, I understand and respect people’s brand preferences. So again; so far so good.

But here’s where my confusion comes in; At 150€ vs under 100€ (more like 80€ or less, so almost half the price) for a ST300 or Rebar; I don’t see it offering anything differently than them or really having any bits compatibility apart from a separate mini ratchet bit set (which I secretly want, but that’s a different story), compared to LMs bit adaptor.

So please help me understand what it is that I am just not seeing in it.

I have not held or seen a SwissTool in real life, or compared it side by side with a LM, but at almost twice the price; there has to be something that really sets it apart from its LM competitors, which I am just not seeing?

Again; I am just curious and interested in understanding the SwissTool Spirit, so please don’t any of this the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Help me understand the “SwissToo Spirit”
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:34:52 PM
What's the difference between a Mercedes and a Honda?  You are still just sitting there in traffic, why spend the extra money on a fancy car?  :D

The SwissTool and it's smaller brother, the Spirit are just head and shoulders above the offerings from Leatherman.  It's not just the fit and finish, which is stellar, it's the overall design and ergonomics of the tool.  All you really need to do is handle one once and you will understand. 

It really is more than the sum of it's parts.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:54 PM
What's the difference between a Mercedes and a Honda?  You are still just sitting there in traffic, why spend the extra money on a fancy car?  :D

The SwissTool and it's smaller brother, the Spirit are just head and shoulders above the offerings from Leatherman.  It's not just the fit and finish, which is stellar, it's the overall design and ergonomics of the tool.  All you really need to do is handle one once and you will understand. 

Def

In your opinion    ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:30:18 AM
The Spirit is a tool that has become what you'll soon read is the go to tool for many.  I once posted about if this tool was so great, why didn't we see more in use ( something like that ).  The thread didn't go anywhere but I did get a peek inside regarding how some feel about this tool. 

I also began to detail the Spirit and Wave and man there was some passion in that thread.  A winner was needing to be declared to some.  I was more interested in highlighting each tool in detail.  I wanted to be neutral to some extent even tho I was at the time a rabid fan of the Wave.

I cannot give you an answer since I don't feel the same about this tool as some/many.  What I can tell you is the tool is a quality tool.   

I bought one, haha ok I bought several to see what the fuss was about.  Its true the tool exudes quality.  The tool is really handsome too.  It a very densely packed tool with a very nice assortment of implements.  As part of a collection its a must.  I have a Swisstool in the garage as I type.  Its my bang around tool.  I also have one on my coffee table because like I said,  I bought several.  I've been carrying a Spirit for the last few day because I have neglected this tool for far too long.  I griped about the phillips slowly becoming damaged.  I also griped about the scissors on this tool.  I may have griped about the lack of diamond file at some point as well.  If you do a search you'll see other who have similar grips.  You'll also see a vast amount of folks who adore this tool, rightfully so. 

Place me in the camp with those who can appreciate the beauty and engineering.  This tool is everything you'd expect from Victorinox  :salute:.  The warranty is superb.  I'll leave it at, I like, I love red heads, while others like blondes.   :tu:     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:08 AM
They are fine MTs but I just can't seem to ever make myself carry one :facepalm: I have tried and done a 30 day challenge for both the Spirit and the Swisstool :salute:

When it comes down to it they are nice tools but I would rather have my LM :whistle: :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:20:54 AM
They are fine MTs but I just can't seem to ever make myself carry one :facepalm: I have tried and done a 30 day challenge for both the Spirit and the Swisstool :salute:

When it comes down to it they are nice tools but I would rather have my LM :whistle: :D

:iagree:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 02:47:07 AM
Swiss quality design and  function with insane utility for the size that wont rust.   

To me I have ever only found one con and that is no pocket clip option.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:54:46 AM
Outside tools, Individual tool springs, and the best steal. :cheers: NUFF SAID!!
That dose not mean Vic couldn't make improvements, they could and I think in order to stay on top they should.
Leatheman has Vic beat in the pliar head design (wider opening and replaceable cutters).  The interchangable tool platform of the Surge, Wave etc.. for the saw and driver is in some ways a plus for Leatherman as are the removable tool hinge pins.  I just find the Vic's knife steal to be the best and having grown up with outside nail nick opening pocket knives the Swisstool and Spirit are just natural, while Leatherman's inside tools are fiddly and don't feel as solid as Vic's.
It all boils down to personal preferance.
I suggest spending a little time checking out some of the challenges.  Here ae links to ones for the Surge, Swisstool, Spirit and Rebar and many of us are eagerly anticipating the upcoming September Wave Challenge (link also provided). 

Swisstool    https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73241.0.html

Surge         https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73773.0.html

Spirit           https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75237.0.html

Rebar         https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75237.0.html

Wave         https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78366.0.html

Just a little light reading... :pok: :pok:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:50:18 AM

Def

What he said!

I have (for now anyway) basically retired my LM and Gerbers. For the last year I've swapped between a Spirit and a Swisstool X. Hands down just a more pleasant experience in the hand.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 09:33:57 AM
I appriciate the replies guys (and thank you for not murdering me completely for asking a stupid question). :cheers:

I kind of figured that it needs to be experienced in real life and maybe be compared side by side to a LM (and maybe long-lastivity) to fully do it justice as pictures really doesn't set it apart from its LM competitors.

Sadly no-one around where I live has one in stock and they have to be specially ordered around here too (so one might just as well shop online for one), so I can't get to see / experience one in real life, without buying one first, which seem to be the case most of the time here in Ireland, but that's a different story.

Anyway, I might try to order a SwissTool Spirt in the future, just to see what the fuss is about, but at the same price as a LM Charge and Gerber Centre-Drive, with basically the same design and tools/features as a ST300 and Rebar; I will have pretty high expectations for it.

Again, I want to thank you all for the kind and honest replies. It did put things at least a little more into perspective for me and brought a little more clarity on the subject for le at least.  :cheers:

....and lastly: Happy Friday Everyone  :drink: 
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:43:21 AM
Late reply, but for me, it's ambivalent...

My personal take:

SwissTool / Spirit
Pros: perfect finish, high-quality implements (with some exceptions as to durability: Phillips), compact size for tools carried, general SAK-like look and feel, good ergonomics, reasonably inoffensive looks, non-OHO tools makes it a legal carry around here
Cons: high price and clean finish almost makes me (but that 's my personal quirk) hesitate to actually use the tool to what is probably its fullest potential; a little bit behind the times because of the absence of replaceable cutters and diamond file; practically unmoddable in tool load unless you go to the lengths of destroying the pivots

In comparison I like LMs (don't have much experience in other makes) because they can be banged about - the lower costs and general relative clunkiness make me less hesitant to use and abuse them. Implements, while not as polished as Vic, do their jobs, sometimes better than Vic's (replaceable cutters, diamond file, Phillips). Eminently moddable too, so I can easily adjust the tool load to suit my needs. And the non-OHO ones are legal carry here too. They might have a slightly more martial look about them - could raise more eyebrows around here, especially the OHO ones :police: but also the others.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:05 AM

I second Poncho on this. While I will not disagree that a swisstool appearance and looks to be built in better quality, function wise I would say they are quite the same with a leatherman if u choose the right tool. Its just like apple and Samsung. There will always be people from different camps. I, am a leatherman guy..

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 04:20:04 PM
well, you already made a decsion but here's my take on the S.P.I.R.I.T.:D in the good and in the bad  :salute:

Smooth: in the tool deployment, ease of operation, stiffness and action, and retention in closed position, a pleasure to use and deploy each time  8)
Presentation: gorgeous looks, fit and finish are top notch and it has a shiny, attractive and rust resistant look that makes it sexy  ::)
In-hand feel: the tool is crafted to the smallest detail, radiused corners, chamfered edges and rounded segments make it comfortable to hold and use  :)
Reliable: the pins are strong, the implement and locks are tough, the steel won't chip or snap, you can trust your tool to do hard work and come back working as good as always  :salute:
Intelligent: most tools double or triple in function, and the implements are cleverly designed to give the most use in the less space and bulk, truly a "multipurpose" tool   :tu:
Timeless: it's built to last, hard to corrode, and the warranty department can give it a "SPA treatment" or replace it every decade or every "X years" to give you a lifetime Multitool  :multi:

but there's also some "not so good" stuff about it,

Slippery: the smooth finish makes it hard to hold with greased or wet hands, and the tools can slip due to the rounded corners and edges (screwdrivers mainly, Phillips most notably)   :-\
Private: it doesn't want to be opened, dissasembled or dismantled, Vic doesn't want you to mess with it and modify it or change it's private parts  :P
Iconic: so highly regarded that it can "not live to the hype" once you own it, it also doesn't encourage or force changes and improvements on Vic's part due to it sstatus and sales success
Rare: in the sense that they're not found at Wallmarts or as common as LM or Gerber on dealer's websites, B&M stores, etc. which can make them expensive especially out of the EU
Idealised: it's been toted so many times as the "one MT to end them all" that you may be convinced it's for you, but if you need a pocket clip, replaceable cutters, OHO blades or diamond files, then... :whistle:
Thrilling, can be a bad thing if this is your first MT, as you'll get excited about these gadgets and buy a hundred more, only to realise that the Spirit was all you needed in the first place  :D

so yes it's good, very good, but depending on your needs and uses there are better options,
I see that you just got a Rebar, and I believe it's as good as (or even better) than the Spirit, especially at its price point   ;)

I know that if I could only have a Rebar or a Spirit as my single MT, I'd be equally happy with them  :drink:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 04:27:12 PM
Nicely put TP  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 04:43:40 PM
If the spirit is the fancy Mercedes 4x4 and the waves the old land rover ,I'll go for the land rover every time   :D don't get me wrong the spirit is a great MT but for me it's too shiny and nice to beat on ,As for the wave it's a great all rounder and has some cool functions that the spirit doesn't have ,I know I'm a Wave fan but I use my stuff and don't won't it sat on a shelf looking pretty  :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 04:51:57 PM
If the spirit is the fancy Mercedes 4x4 and the waves the old land rover ,I'll go for the land rover every time   :D don't get me wrong the spirit is a great MT but for me it's too shiny and nice to beat on ,As for the wave it's a great all rounder and has some cool functions that the spirit doesn't have ,I know I'm a Wave fan but I use my stuff and don't won't it sat on a shelf looking pretty  :tu:

The LM Wave will leak oil all over ones driveway?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Just kidding  :D
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 06:28:38 PM
Most points have been given, but I would like to add:

A LM Rebar costs €100-110 here.
A Spirit X costs €120-140.

For the slightly higher cost we get all the positive (and negative points) mentioned above, but also an easier way to claim waranty/service when needed.
I think we all know by now that the LM service is not available to everyone in the world in the same way and alot depends on the wholesaler for your region.

AFAIK there is no LM servicecenter anywhere apart from their HQ. Unlike Vic, who also set up a center in the USA. (Albeit service seems to be lacking sometimes?).

So in short, I just wanted to add that I can feel more confident in getting my damaged tool repaired/serviced in an easy way for only a little more money. And I would like to accentuate the fact that this is HIGHLY depending on where you live in the world.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 06:31:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that Victorinox and Leatherman have no service centres in Ireland, you either have to ship to UK/America (for Leatherman) or UK/Switzerland (for Victorinox).

Switzerland is closer than America.  :pok:

And the Spirit seems like better value compared to a Wave in Europe, IMHO, though I have neither tool. Afterall, the Spirit is made to a €100 price point, while the Wave to made to a $50 price point, marked up to €100 in Europe....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:34:18 PM by Don Pablo »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 06:43:54 PM
I really don't understand the Too Pretty to Use comments?

What does this even mean?

New tools are always pretty and they get Prettier the more they are used. :twak:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 06:57:12 PM

New tools are always pretty and they get Prettier the more they are used. :twak:
:salute: to used tools.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 08:42:47 PM
Both are great tools . The Spirit has superb ergonomics , higher implement density , and implement quality . I prefer it for work .

I prefer my Charge+ TTI for play . OHO , and S30V means I don’t need to carry a folder , if I so choose . In an off duty scenario , the bit cards , extensions are good for mundane screwdriving . Not an issue for work , as I have real drivers up the wazoo .

I a work scenario , the Spirit pliers are only used in an ancillary/ backup mode , as I also have a Plethora of Knipex pliers , which kick the stuffing out of anything on any Multitool .

Anyway , that’s how I accomodate the role’ and missions , a d limitations of two very fine tools .

Best Regards,

Chris

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:01 PM

The LM Wave will leak oil all over ones driveway?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Just kidding  :D

:rofl:  the spirit is too pretty to leak  ;)  :rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 11:27:25 PM
I carry the spirit more often than any other pliers based tool because it is comfortable to carry, comfortable to use, has a nice selection of useful tools, and fits nicely in my pocket because it is light and flat.  However, for the next 10 days I will be working on a special project and I'll be carrying my Rebar, only because it won't hurt as much if I lose it.  The Rebar is capable, and roughly half the price of the Spirit, but it's just not the same. It's the level of refinement.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 11:45:54 PM
Both are great tools . The Spirit has superb ergonomics , higher implement density , and implement quality . I prefer it for work .

I prefer my Charge+ TTI for play . OHO , and S30V means I don’t need to carry a folder , if I so choose . In an off duty scenario , the bit cards , extensions are good for mundane screwdriving . Not an issue for work , as I have real drivers up the wazoo .

I a work scenario , the Spirit pliers are only used in an ancillary/ backup mode , as I also have a Plethora of Knipex pliers , which kick the stuffing out of anything on any Multitool .

Anyway , that’s how I accomodate the role’ and missions , a d limitations of two very fine tools .

Best Regards,

Chris

Have you tried the Centerdrive yet?

The Pliers are great and the driver is INSANE to me so far.

Just sayin.

us Offline italophil

Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 11:50:14 PM

This is a great summary.

After carrying the Spirit for 30 days for a challenge earlier this year I came to a smilier conclusion:

"After a month of only carrying and using the Spirit X I really love it. I never felt like I was missing something or that I carried more than needed. It is the perfect urban-EDC MT with a great tool set, compact design,  and a high quality feel to it.

That being said, when it is time for the next adventure off-the-grid, be it overlanding, sailing, or self-drive safari, I’d grab the LM Wave, based on the OHO blade, the two bit holders with extender / kit and the pocket clip."

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 11:52:19 PM

Best Regards,

Chris

Just sayin.

My experiences with Gerber have not been good , had things break etc. I have an open mind , but a long memory !

Best Regards,

Chris

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 12:07:16 AM

This is a great summary.

After carrying the Spirit for 30 days for a challenge earlier this year I came to a smilier conclusion:

"After a month of only carrying and using the Spirit X I really love it. I never felt like I was missing something or that I carried more than needed. It is the perfect urban-EDC MT with a great tool set, compact design,  and a high quality feel to it.

That being said, when it is time for the next adventure off-the-grid, be it overlanding, sailing, or self-drive safari, I’d grab the LM Wave, based on the OHO blade, the two bit holders with extender / kit and the pocket clip."

:salute: now if vic made a slightly smaller spirit with a clip on and a non locking blade and a diamond file I would be on it like a moth to a flame  :D

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 12:36:41 AM

Best Regards,

Chris

Just sayin.

My experiences with Gerber have not been good , had things break etc. I have an open mind , but a long memory !

Best Regards,

Chris

This is how I feel about Leatherman too.

But the Centerdrive is pretty surprising all the same,I don't know why it took Gerber to figure the driver out but it just makes sense aside from the bulk and lack of polish of the tool overall.

I have worked mine pretty hard too and no problems at all so far.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 01:36:35 AM
@Mechanickal  :salute:  excellent post.  My experience with USA Vic was excellent.  Communication was not great but in all honesty neither was LMs.

Certainly taking advantage of either companies warranty plays part in my decision.  I'm super happy I can opt to send in my Vics with the USA.  I'm not sure I'd buy a tool that I'd have to send in across the pond especially with all the drama we've read about with some members in dealing with LM warranties. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 01:38:12 AM

This seemed to be somewhat a regular feeling.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD