Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Useful small tools collection?

chx · 9 · 703

ca Offline chx

Useful small tools collection?
on: August 18, 2018, 04:17:01 AM
I am looking for a tool with

• Eyeglasses screwdrivers
Phone repair screwdrivers
  • 0.7, 0.9 allen key -- these double up as SIM tools, reset helpers and the like

and similar thin things. It occurs to me that a tool which protects these from breaking and keeps them together so they don't get lost would be quite useful.

Like https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/bit-bar-the-pocket-friendly-edc-screwdriver or http://mininch.com/store/tool-pen except for smaller bits.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:07:33 AM by chx »
I work from home but fly too much. When I carry things it involves an airplane and the TSA. Makes for different considerations.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Useful small tools collection?
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:27:04 AM
You just need screwdrivers with bits or a multi-tool?

For the first there are many great options for small screwdrivers. (Including smaller ones than the one you linked to at Kickstarter, and in mass production by established manufacturers so lower prices too). You might want to look at compact solutions with the 4mm precision screwdriver standard - this one is compact and with double ended bits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Precision-Screwdriver-Set-7-IN-1-Small-Mini-Hobby-Craft-Jewelry-Repair-Disassembly-Tools-DYI-Hand/32803571973.html The handle is a bit short for the bits, but they do fit, and for all of USD 2.7 it is hard to beat for value.

Or to go smaller yet, go non-standard. An example of the latter would be www.bang"removethis"good.com/Multifunctional-6-in-1-Screwdriver-Set-Repair-Tools-for-Mobile-Phone-p-1149671.html That one is USD 3.5, and I'm sure there are better sellers of that one. (BG just can't seem to pack, refund or do service properly. Just as well that MT autocensors them).

For a more multi-tool approach anything with 4mm precision screwdriver bits should be fine - you can add whateever bits you need. The Victorinox Cybertool series comes to mind.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:41:40 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline chx

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 11:39:49 AM
OK so 4mm then is a standard? That's good to know. Wiha sells quality mcro bit kits or single packs, even Torx T1 and T2 which are otherwise a ... to find. So I could get that handle from Aliexpress and then replace the massive size ;) T5-T8 bits with small ones from Wiha. The only question is where to find a 0.7mm or 0.9mm allen key / SIM tool in this format but perhaps my current keys are small enough to just fit in there :) I also have a Tekton 2830 set which has a tonne of these bits, except the handle is thick and short to store a bunch :/ that handle looks better. Of course, the 2830 set also starts with Torx T3 because noone needs to take a Blackberry, apparently.

The CyberTool M looks expensive :/ and the retention ball makes the bits harder to find.

Also, this lead me to https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=26042.0 this great thread. I have a Style PS :D surely it'll work the same, I'll check.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:54:09 AM by chx »
I work from home but fly too much. When I carry things it involves an airplane and the TSA. Makes for different considerations.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 12:19:59 PM
Also, this lead me to https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=26042.0 this great thread. I have a Style PS :D surely it'll work the same, I'll check.

That was a fun one, I hadn't noticed that thread before.

Yes, there are quite a few standard variations for different lengths and fastening methods around the 4mm/ 5/32", 6,35mm/ 1/4", and 8mm/ 5/8" sizes. For normal use short 1/4" and 4mm are clearly the most common well known ones. (ISO 1173 and its various national equivalents describes most if I remember correctly).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:21:27 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 02:45:29 AM
I have been using kits or bit sets from these guys for a while now and they work OK as long as I keep in mind that they are cheap and consumable overall.

There is also a retailer in my town where I can still just walk in and get them as needed and that goes a long way with me for sure!

Most of the bit sets from all places are just cheap offshore crap and I can not understand why there are not better quality choices in more places for those of us who need higher quality?

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Toolkits

I should get some higher quality stuff like Wiha or Wera probably but I am not at all sure that they will really last any longer in the end though they would likely have better fit and purchase in the fasteners at all times?

Also do not sell the Cybertool short!

It/they are in a class of their own like most SAK' and so far have been worth every penny to be able to have truly useful and precise bits in my pocket at anytime.
I carry one in every EDC bag that I have and know that I can count on them and the bits are not that pricey really,I get mine on Ebay usually.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:46:58 AM by ezdog »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 02:52:37 AM
I have one of these for taking apart any small electronics: For $4, it does the job very well.

https://www.pocketscrewdrivers.com/product_p/sp-171.htm

I use a CT-34 a lot. For tinkering with computers, model railroading,  and slot cars, it does the job. I did some troubleshooting on my General Dyamics laptop recently ,and it was used to open the cover that holds the WLAN card. So far, the only problem I've experienced (probably due to mine having been well used) is that the bits occasionally slip out of the carrier. Check eBay auctions regularly--I ended up getting one for $30, but having to replace one bit, which cost $3.

But seriously, you can make a mess with cheap bits, they will round off screws. I strongly recommend getting a good set of bits and a small case to carry them in. I have several precisions screwdrivers (and small bit sets) in pencil cases, metal tins, and shaving kit bags strewn all over the house.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 03:07:17 AM
Those look exactly like the ones that Home Depot used to sell and they are in fact better than the cheapo ones and well worth the money to me too.

The reality of dealing with small fasters like this seems to be that bits are disposable regardless which ones you decide to pay for anymore period so?

I still have and use old Xcelite and Jensen sets that I have had for 40 years and they pretty much are like new still but finding tools these days that are built like that still is tough to say the least.

So you can still buy Xcelite and Jensen and if you make money with your tools like I do I highly recommend the best that you can find and carry.

They are just usually not as portable as the cheaper versions.

I have one of these for taking apart any small electronics: For $4, it does the job very well.

https://www.pocketscrewdrivers.com/product_p/sp-171.htm

I use a CT-34 a lot. For tinkering with computers, model railroading,  and slot cars, it does the job. I did some troubleshooting on my General Dyamics laptop recently ,and it was used to open the cover that holds the WLAN card. So far, the only problem I've experienced (probably due to mine having been well used) is that the bits occasionally slip out of the carrier. Check eBay auctions regularly--I ended up getting one for $30, but having to replace one bit, which cost $3.

But seriously, you can make a mess with cheap bits, they will round off screws. I strongly recommend getting a good set of bits and a small case to carry them in. I have several precisions screwdrivers (and small bit sets) in pencil cases, metal tins, and shaving kit bags strewn all over the house.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:56:18 AM
I should get some higher quality stuff like Wiha or Wera probably but I am not at all sure that they will really last any longer in the end though they would likely have better fit and purchase in the fasteners at all times?

In theory all bits that follow the standards should fit respective nuts and bolts that follows their respective standards. Closer tolerances on either will give better fit, but the standards are supposed to make sure there is a good fit.

My experience is that there are many bits, included decent branded ones, that might not be quite optimal with either fit or choice of material. I've found it hard to judge by price alone as some bits that are branded and expensive are just as quickly worn as the cheapest, and some inexpensive ones have good grip and don't seem to wear much at all. (By this point I try to avoid cheap blacked metal ones, but apart from that I go all over the place for bits).

I do have many Wera bits and they do work well and consistently at that. I've destroyed some of those too, but at a lower rate. To the degree that means I get less rounded heads, and less issues and wasted time with having to get out screws with rounded heads, the price difference is worth it. That said I also got some cheap unbranded ones I've had for years that I've come to trust equally much.

In short, I'm not sure if we always get what we pay for with bits: Some brands like Wera do make consistently good ones, some other brands don't, and some inexpensive ones are actually great. (Overall I'll say most bits are on the bad side almost regardless of price).

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:00:25 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 01:41:07 PM
Sadly I agree,most are a let down and you can not predict often which ones.

In theory all bits that follow the standards should fit respective nuts and bolts that follows their respective standards. Closer tolerances on either will give better fit, but the standards are supposed to make sure there is a good fit.

My experience is that there are many bits, included decent branded ones, that might not be quite optimal with either fit or choice of material. I've found it hard to judge by price alone as some bits that are branded and expensive are just as quickly worn as the cheapest, and some inexpensive ones have good grip and don't seem to wear much at all. (By this point I try to avoid cheap blacked metal ones, but apart from that I go all over the place for bits).

I do have many Wera bits and they do work well and consistently at that. I've destroyed some of those too, but at a lower rate. To the degree that means I get less rounded heads, and less issues and wasted time with having to get out screws with rounded heads, the price difference is worth it. That said I also got some cheap unbranded ones I've had for years that I've come to trust equally much.

In short, I'm not sure if we always get what we pay for with bits: Some brands like Wera do make consistently good ones, some other brands don't, and some inexpensive ones are actually great. (Overall I'll say most bits are on the bad side almost regardless of price).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%