Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going to Czech Republic, Austria, and Germany. What can I bring?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Hey y’all! I miss this place! I hope everyone is happy and healthy, living comfortably. I am doing good, just busy as always. I just got back from a trip out to western US, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah. It was amazing! Got to see things I thought that I would never see.

So, I learned something exciting today. I found out today that I will be taking a 9 day trip to Europe. Specifically Prague, Czech Republic; Salzburg, Austria; and Munich, Germany. We will also be visiting mountains and different things along the way. I am looking forward to it, but I need some help from people who have been to, or live in these countries. What can I take with me? I know already that I have to leave firearms in the U.S., but that is about it. How are these places with lock blades, fixed blades, and multitools? What about OHO? What are the laws about drinking and carrying a pocketknife? If lets say Germany is stricter than Austria, can I carry a certain knife in Austria and leave it in my bag/hotel room/checked bag on the flight home from Germany? Other than just the blade stuff, what do y’all recommend I look into? What beers should I try, what are must see places? What are signature food dishes in the areas? Hole in the wall restaurants? Places to stay away from? This will be a place that I never thought I would see in my entire life. I am very excited. Thanks in advance for the advice and again, I hope all of you are doing great.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Have fun mate. These are 3 of the coolest places to visit. Been in all 3, but in passing (a few days in each) so can't give many tips.

Beer is great. Czech beer is arguably the best beer in the world. German beer is awesome too.

Czech women are the most beautiful in the world - fact, also many have loose morals.

Prague is stunning. My favourite city in Center / East Europe.

In Germany OHO is a no-no, but really EU is not like the US or the UK. Police won't slam you to the ground to search you for weapons and won't go anol at a knife. Carried all sorts of knives for 35 years all across Europe, no policeman ever bat at eye at me.

As long as you don't brandish a machete in crowds you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:23:27 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Hey y’all! I miss this place! I hope everyone is happy and healthy, living comfortably. I am doing good, just busy as always. I just got back from a trip out to western US, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah. It was amazing! Got to see things I thought that I would never see.

So, I learned something exciting today. I found out today that I will be taking a 9 day trip to Europe. Specifically Prague, Czech Republic; Salzburg, Austria; and Munich, Germany. We will also be visiting mountains and different things along the way. I am looking forward to it, but I need some help from people who have been to, or live in these countries. What can I take with me? I know already that I have to leave firearms in the U.S., but that is about it. How are these places with lock blades, fixed blades, and multitools? What about OHO? What are the laws about drinking and carrying a pocketknife? If lets say Germany is stricter than Austria, can I carry a certain knife in Austria and leave it in my bag/hotel room/checked bag on the flight home from Germany? Other than just the blade stuff, what do y’all recommend I look into? What beers should I try, what are must see places? What are signature food dishes in the areas? Hole in the wall restaurants? Places to stay away from? This will be a place that I never thought I would see in my entire life. I am very excited. Thanks in advance for the advice and again, I hope all of you are doing great.

Good to hear from you, mate! Hope you have a pleasant and enjoyable trip! Let us know how it went!

:cheers: :tu:

Awlso...

Miss This!

:hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
I've only been there once, many years ago and it is high on my list of places to go back to, a single day does not do it justice - seeing as you're in Munich may i suggest the Deutsches Museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Museum

Beer is great. Czech beer is arguably the best beer in the world. German beer is awesome too.

Czech women are the most beautiful in the world - fact, also many have loose morals.

Prague is stunning. My favourite city in Center / East Europe.

Czech beer is great. So is German.
Unfortunately, I cannot comment on point #2, no experience there.
I'm not a city person, but I must agree, Prague is beautiful.

I carried a swisschamp throughout my visit to Central Europe, never had a problem, but then I didn't have a need to interact with the police. If I was visiting again I would bring a standard vic knife like my hiker.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

cz Offline buddyZB

Hi.  Czech Republic has no restrictions concerning knives.  Be aware in Germany,  there are some. No OHO, locks  over 3 inch in pocke Only workers on the way to worksite.

cz Offline buddyZB

I am from Czech Repubic, now on holidays in East Germany.  Supertool, PST combo with adaptér and bits, Micra, H502x in my car and EDC bag. Policemen in West Germany are stronger concerning knives  because of lot of [comments removed] knife crimes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:04:35 AM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 01:29:44 AM
Upon further research (German laws) I have found that locking blades are OK, and OHO is ok, you just cannot have both. I have a buck 110 that could be carried there theoretically but will the size make it more likely to cause problems? I guess I could buy a 112 but I would prefer my 110.

de Offline Shuya

From a german dude:

Problematic knife carries:
OHO locking blades, no matter if tool or knife, you need a.legal.reson which seems to be enforced strictly, eg you loose your knife if found. Non locking oho is ok

No balisongs, no otf knifes, no gravity knifes. Spring operated or spring assissted knifes under 85mm are ok to carry, but cound as oho knifes and need legal reason

Fixed blades under 12cm bladelength are ok as long as no dagger or backside edge. (so my 7cm oho is not ok, 11,9cm fixed is....)

Some cities have knive free areas (bremen for example), so check that out before traveling.

To be save, leave all oho or spring assissted stuff at home and go for two hand knives.
Never been searched here but who knows....

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Hi.  Czech Republic has no restrictions concerning knives.  Be aware in Germany,  there are some. No OHO, locks  over 3 inch in pocke Only workers on the way to worksite.

Thanks for your input, buddyZB!

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Glad to hear from you Gdoo :tu: Glad to hear you had a good trip and the trip you are going on sounds awesome :dd: :like: I have never been to Europe so can't help you with the laws unfortunately :D but sounds like you already have some great advice :salute: If it were me I would only take a smallish SAK though :cheers: Have a great time and be safe :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
From a german dude:

Problematic knife carries:
OHO locking blades, no matter if tool or knife, you need a.legal.reson which seems to be enforced strictly, eg you loose your knife if found. Non locking oho is ok

No balisongs, no otf knifes, no gravity knifes. Spring operated or spring assissted knifes under 85mm are ok to carry, but cound as oho knifes and need legal reason

Fixed blades under 12cm bladelength are ok as long as no dagger or backside edge. (so my 7cm oho is not ok, 11,9cm fixed is....)

Some cities have knive free areas (bremen for example), so check that out before traveling.

To be save, leave all oho or spring assissted stuff at home and go for two hand knives.
Never been searched here but who knows....

:iagree:

Get yourself that 112, it's a good excuse to do it!

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Timely thread as I just came form a trip to Berlin (24-28 August) and these three were brought, used, shown and carried without issue:  :cheers:

Legal fxed blade (it was the Mora, fixed knives up to 12 cm and single edged are fine to carry, this was clipped to my belt and sheath concealed into the pocket)
SAK Climber (well, it's a SAK, everybody there knows it and the cleaning guy at the Tegel Airport told me to show him as I was putting it into my bag to be dropped off, then he proceeded to show me his)  :D  :tu:
Pliers Based multitool. Has a OHO blade that locks but I removed the thumstud before the trip, and it was totally impossible to open without the use of two hands, so even if it locked it was legal (legal is either OHO opening or locking, but not both)  :salute:

didn't have any issue, and they were on my person when entering most of the monuments, all the museums (Natural History, Spy museum, Art Museums, the Cathedral, Egyptian Museum, etc.)  and also in the streets.

Only the Govt Buildings (Reichstag, Bundestag) have metal detectors at the entry but I didn't enter those buildings because the visit requires booking a ticket with days of time ahead    :dunno:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Only the Govt Buildings (Reichstag, Bundestag) have metal detectors at the entry but I didn't enter those buildings because the visit requires booking a ticket with days of time ahead    :dunno:

Like a sporting event or concert? Thats.... thats inspired. Are there scalpers for these tickets to watch Parliament?

I think the rest of the Western world should ponder the implications of needing to such a ticket to watch government in action.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice

Like a sporting event or concert? Thats.... thats inspired. Are there scalpers for these tickets to watch Parliament?

I think the rest of the Western world should ponder the implications of needing to such a ticket to watch government in action.

No blades on sporting events, or crowded areas is what I'd recommend

I know that the Bundestag and Reichstag have metal detectors and searches upon entering the building and that it is required to book a ticket (the guide told me to do it online) in advance,  :salute:

but I don't really know if there is people selling the tickets or you can only get them online/at the airport/tourist offices or information points
I didn't ask, sorry  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club

I know that the Bundestag and Reichstag have metal detectors and searches upon entering the building and that it is required to book a ticket (the guide told me to do it online) in advance,  :salute:

but I don't really know if there is people selling the tickets or you can only get them online/at the airport/tourist offices or information points
Thanks for all the advice everyone! What constitutes a crowded area? Its not really like i can go back to the hotel if I run into a bunch of people. Also, what about bars? Drinking with a pocketknife is no issue here, but I live in the southern US. you are weird if you don’t have a knife here.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools

Thanks for all the advice everyone! What constitutes a crowded area? Its not really like i can go back to the hotel if I run into a bunch of people. Also, what about bars? Drinking with a pocketknife is no issue here, but I live in the southern US. you are weird if you don’t have a knife here.

I would say anywhere in Europe  bringing a knife to a bar even a SAK is a no no.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice

I would say anywhere in Europe  bringing a knife to a bar even a SAK is a no no.

Even though I agree with that, if it remains unseen, and you avoid getting into trouble or drawing attention,, it's no issue. :dunno:
Not that this is legal advice, nor do I recommend it, but in Berlin I carried my (hidden to the public) Multitool, SAK and Mora everywhere, bars and restaurants included, to try out all the new beers and good German beer brands with my friends  :drink:

and I didn't get anyone's attention nor did I have problems with the owners, customers, police or people in general  :tu:

That means that if you behave properly, and make proper use of your tools (I opened a few beer bottles with the SAK on various occasions and places, often surrounded by people or in mid-street, without any reaction from them) you should be fine  :cheers:

this was me after opening the beers in front of Alexanderplatz Police Station in the crowded center of the city   :D

My toys:

at Offline kris77

Re: Going to Czech Republic, Austria, and Germany. What can I bring?
Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 01:11:42 AM
In Austria almost any knife is ok to carry! OHO, OTF, Autos are fine if your 18+ of age and you can carry them everywhere except to "public events" like concerts...

There is also a knifeshop in Salzburg: August Schebor
Platzl 2, 5020 Salzburg
https://goo.gl/maps/yjDoS1i9tus

On wikipedia you can look up some knife legislation of different countries (in europe):
 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 02:12:42 AM
Want to bump this if I may. Leaving tomorrow! I am taking my Izula 2, Farmer, and Rebar. I was taking my swiss card but I am concerned with the legality of it in germany as a “credit card knife.” If I cannot take it I will need to amend what I take to include scissors. Thoughts? Also, when visiting castles specifically, should i leave the knives in the hotel due to security or is it ok to bring them along? Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:15:01 AM by gdoolittle »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 11:23:07 AM
I don't carry a fixed blade so I can't advise on the Izula, but TP carried a Mora which suggests it might be OK.
The Swiss Card should be OK, it isn't what's commonly known as a credit card knife (they probably mean a foldable blade in credit card format - and I'm not sure even these are banned specifically, unless it's for the two-edged blade?).
The Farmer is OK anyway.
The castles I visited in Austria did not have metal detector screening or specific bans going beyond what is street (il-)legal. Funnily enough, no recent experience in Germany. Czech Republic is too long ago for me to remember, sorry.

Have a good trip! :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 04:03:18 PM
I don't carry a fixed blade so I can't advise on the Izula, but TP carried a Mora which suggests it might be OK.
The Swiss Card should be OK, it isn't what's commonly known as a credit card knife (they probably mean a foldable blade in credit card format - and I'm not sure even these are banned specifically, unless it's for the two-edged blade?).
The Farmer is OK anyway.
The castles I visited in Austria did not have metal detector screening or specific bans going beyond what is street (il-)legal. Funnily enough, no recent experience in Germany. Czech Republic is too long ago for me to remember, sorry.

Have a good trip! :tu:

I planned on carrying my disposable credit card knife, but upon reading the law I decided it was an illegal item and I'd be better leaving it at home

I had no trouble whatsoever with the Mora and SAK, only using the SAK in public though (the Mora was used where we slept and spent our nights, inside private property) :salute:

have a good trip!  :cheers:
My toys:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 06:11:41 PM
I ended up just pulling the blade from the card and bringing the rest along just to be safe. On the way to the airport now!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 06:27:36 PM
I ended up just pulling the blade from the card and bringing the rest along just to be safe. On the way to the airport now!

safe travels and much fun!  ;)
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%