Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evogrip 18: yay or nay?

us Offline trichosirius

on: September 18, 2018, 01:13:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for another SAK for an upcoming trip and looking for feedback on this model.

I'm a huge fan of Vic's 84mm line, but the discontinued scissors have made the ones I want out of reach for me.
The Evogrip line has the scissors but all the negative reviews about the serrated ones concern me. How bad are these really? As much as I love Vics scissors I don't use them all that much, so I figured I'd give these a go.

My second concern is those odd scales; they look excessively thick. I won't pocket carry a 91mm over 3 layers, but I'm uncertain how much different it would be in 85mm. How does the 18 compare to say, an Explorer?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Evogrip 18: yay or nay?
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:40:55 AM
I like the old Wengers with traditional scales.  You are correct that those evolution scales are excessively thick, more so since they were rebranded as Vic Delmonts.
I don't have an Ego 18, but in my experience the Delmonts are the same thickness and weight as the Vic 91s with the same number of layers.  Other than the slight difference in length, you're not saving any weight or size with the Delmonts.  I'd just as soon get the bigger tools on the 91.

Scissors are another matter.  There is a difference between the Vic and Wenger designs.  I prefer the Vic scissors, but there are fans of the Wenger scissors.  One important issue is how you use them.  If you like to cut paper and plastic with a "push" technique, the serrations on the Wenger don't work with that technique.  On the other hand, the Wenger style serrations work better at chewing thru things like nylon wire ties.
- Steve

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:49:24 AM
I have the S18 and a huntsman (which is close to an exact comparison i guess). If you dont need a locking blade go with the Huntsman in my opinion. Saw is much, much better, has spon for pin and mini screwdriver, weight balances more naturally, scissors are more detailed(if you want heavy duty, not as fine scissors the 18 is better), has 2 blades instead on an unuseable nail file. The grippy scales are nice but the Victorinox is more usable. That said, the 18 is not a bad tool at all. The saw is just a bit more compromised is my biggest complaint.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:56 AM
Oh, and here it is next to an explorer since that is what you asked for. Explorer is a little wider b/c of the screwdriver layer

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:25:06 AM
I like the old Wengers with traditional scales.  You are correct that those evolution scales are excessively thick, more so since they were rebranded as Vic Delmonts.
I don't have an Ego 18, but in my experience the Delmonts are the same thickness and weight as the Vic 91s with the same number of layers.  Other than the slight difference in length, you're not saving any weight or size with the Delmonts.  I'd just as soon get the bigger tools on the 91.

Scissors are another matter.  There is a difference between the Vic and Wenger designs.  I prefer the Vic scissors, but there are fans of the Wenger scissors.  One important issue is how you use them.  If you like to cut paper and plastic with a "push" technique, the serrations on the Wenger don't work with that technique.  On the other hand, the Wenger style serrations work better at chewing thru things like nylon wire ties.
I have the S18 and a huntsman (which is close to an exact comparison i guess). If you dont need a locking blade go with the Huntsman in my opinion. Saw is much, much better, has spon for pin and mini screwdriver, weight balances more naturally, scissors are more detailed(if you want heavy duty, not as fine scissors the 18 is better), has 2 blades instead on an unuseable nail file. The grippy scales are nice but the Victorinox is more usable. That said, the 18 is not a bad tool at all. The saw is just a bit more compromised is my biggest complaint.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks guys, that helped me make the decision to pass on this one. I think I was just too in love with the look of those yellow scales.

Thanks for pics, those scales are definitely quite thick. I think I could live with the scissors, but not the bulk of this tool. Why did Vic have to discontinue the scissors on the 84mm line  :twak:
The Salesman and Golfer look like the perfect tools  :climber:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:09:10 AM
I'm a big fan of the Wenger Traveller, and two of the three variants that i'm keeping are Evo style (Evowood 14 and Soft Touch 14). I used to have a plain red celidor Evo14, but didn't find that as comfortable, and gave it away. It wasn't the scale thickness that annoyed me, but the raised lettering. I don't find any significant detriment on knife thickness between the Traveller and the Climber Small, either in hand, or in the pocket.

As to the scissor comparison, the Victorinox are cleaner cutting, but the Wenger's are more durable, and will cut things that are trickier with the Victorinox scissors such as tougher plastics which the Wengers bite into rather than push off with the smoother Vic scissor blades. The only time that I find the micro serrations to be an issue is when trimming nails, as they leave a rougher edge, but the Wengers tend to give you a nail file to deal with that. So in short, the Wengers will cut through most stuff easier, but might need a touch up afterwards on some cutting tasks.

If you can get one at the right price (for you), then I'd recommend trying it. Personally, I'd leave the locking bladed S18 alone though. It ruins the ergonomics far worse than the scales do, and anyone who feels they need locking blades on an 85mm pocket knife, needs to get some basic knife skills learned. It's totally necessary and a real shame that many models are unavailable without that lock.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline lichan

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:27:43 PM
You could always go with an older Wenger S18 with non-Evo scales if you find one on the Bay at a fair price. As to the scissors, I have switched allegiance to the Wenger-style scissors because of the built-in obsolescence of the Victorinox scissor spring. I have a MiniChamp with moderate use on the scissor and the spring is developing metal fatigue and does not spring back open all the way. You have to spread the spring back out but that is only temporary. Metal fatigue is caused, I think, by accumulating small stress fractures which can be removed by heating to the proper temperature which is more trouble than a paper clip or scissor spring is worth.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:56:10 PM
I have an Evo S16, same tools as a Super Tinker/Salesman, gifted by my wife a couple of years ago. While its a cool sak I've never really warmed up to it. Can't really warm up to the Evo scales, scissors (just OK, imo), and the darn lock tab. Almost never carry it. Id rather carry a super tinker over it, but as i love the 84mm, the small Tinker wins for regular edc. I had the chance to buy a nib Evo grip 18 dirt cheap a while ago, and passed on it...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 08:02:02 PM
I'd rather have the exact tools I want from a 91mm Victorinox than try to make a Wenger work just because it's a few mm shorter.  Victorinox tools are just better IMO and I've never had an issue with a scissor spring.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:04:20 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, you saved me from disappointment it seems. I don't know how I didn't notice the locking blade and that funny tab, that alone is a deal breaker for me.
 I think my best bet is to keep an eye out for a good deal on an 84mm with scissors. Or follow Syphs method and make my own  :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:13 PM
I've got an Evo18 (no lock) and quite like it...

The yellow - black combo is a nice alternative and thanks to the 18, I can keep my Artisan looking pretty.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 10:45:18 PM
I got an Evogrip 18 too, and that is my most used SAK. (I don't really use the saw though, so I guess I'd be even better off with some other one).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, you saved me from disappointment it seems. I don't know how I didn't notice the locking blade and that funny tab, that alone is a deal breaker for me.
 I think my best bet is to keep an eye out for a good deal on an 84mm with scissors. Or follow Syphs method and make my own  :think:

Easily avoided - just avoid the ones with "S" in the name.  ;)

Evo S18 = locking
Evo 18 = non-locking

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 12:56:50 AM
This thread is making me look at the 557 :facepalm:

No short saw, add pliers, in line Phillips, and wrench. Can hold mini screwdriver. Oh no...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:07:27 AM by gdoolittle »

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 07:25:08 AM
That nail file on the Evo looks quite unexpected for a SAK, more like a cheap knock-off :( A waste of space IMHO...  :dunno:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 08:43:43 AM
Some like the file, some don't.  The only reason I can think of for it to be included on the Wenger/Delemont knives is that the scissors are so bad at nail trimming you must have a nail file to finish the job properly. ;)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 08:57:06 AM
That nail file on the Evo looks quite unexpected for a SAK, more like a cheap knock-off :( A waste of space IMHO...  :dunno:

Those Sak's are much more Wenger design then Vic, all Vic changed was the outer liners and the shield on the scales, apart from putting a Vic can opener, awl and Phillips on the Vc branded models, and toughen the back springs a bit i think....  :think:
They are nice, but i prefer classic Vic by far. The back springs on the Evo don't have the same lovely snap
 :climber:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:58:12 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 09:09:29 AM

Wait...what?!

The Wenger/ Vic Delemont knives with scissors do NOT include that useless parcel hook? I may have to pick one up...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%