Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help with socks!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Help with socks!
on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:57 AM
I hate having to buy socks frequently.
I have some thick pairs that I bought in the shop some months ago, and otherwise for annoying holes in the heel, they still look new. :rant: heel holes are especially annoying in winter. :rant:

What socks should I buy, that are responsibly produced, and will last a long time before they develop holes?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Help with socks!
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:10:46 AM
None any more, I fear.

There is a sock cartel that prevents sock makers from creating indestructible socks in order to ensure their continuity.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:16:56 AM
I have some thick pairs that I bought in the shop some months ago, and otherwise for annoying holes in the heel, they still look new. :rant: heel holes are especially annoying in winter. :rant:

What socks should I buy, that are responsibly produced, and will last a long time before they develop holes?
I have some army surplus socks that I bought about 8 years ago (7 pairs) - worn nothing but them since, very comfortable and warm and there is one pair just going through at the heel now. I walk a lot and they have been great for all this time.

Black wool mix I think.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 11:20:01 AM
None any more, I fear.

There is a sock cartel that prevents sock makers from creating indestructible socks in order to ensure their continuity.
:(
So that’s why we have no Kevlar socks?

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:40 AM

I have some army surplus socks that I bought about 8 years ago (7 pairs) - worn nothing but them since, very comfortable and warm and there is one pair just going through at the heel now. I walk a lot and they have been great for all this time.

Black wool mix I think.
Thanks mags!  :salute:
So you’ve worn each one for an average of one year or so?  :o
I’ll have to look into something similar.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:32:24 AM

Black wool mix I think.
Thanks mags!  :salute:
So you’ve worn each one for an average of one year or so?  :o
I’ll have to look into something similar.  :tu:
Yep, and I wash them every month whether they need it or not.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 12:05:13 PM
Columbia and some carhartt socks work nicely for me. Not sure about responsibly produced or not, I don’t necessarily look for that kind of thing when buying socks.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:01 PM

I buy only Tesema merino wool sport socks, best socks ever sold!

And they tick every box you just requested... :)

Not sure about the avalability over there, but you can always get the Varusteleka versions from them...  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:43 PM
None any more, I fear.

:(
So that’s why we have no Kevlar socks?
We do have Kevlar socks... Though don't ask me why there is the Swiss flag on them... maybe to justify the price
FYF Barefoot Socks
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:35 PM
Fall and winter I wear Merino wool socks that I get at Costco, they are warm and comfortable and hold up pretty well. All socks wear through the heel, one thing that speeds up that process is if you have really hard rough skin on your heels.

I keep wearing them even with a hole until they get too big. I've never had my heels get cold even in subzero weather.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:38 AM
Pabs, Pabs, Pabs,

So you need help with socks hey?

Ensure you get a left and a right sock, otherwise you’ll develop early holes in the heel!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 12:47:26 AM
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 01:01:22 AM

Winter socks = something wool.

As for the rest I only have one advice and that is that whatever you do just get 10 pairs or so of identical socks. That way if you wear a hole in one, loose one, whatever, you'll still have pairs - and a lot easier to sort if more match with more.

I have been thinking way too much about socks :facepalm:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:29 AM

Winter socks = something wool.

As for the rest I only have one advice and that is that whatever you do just get 10 pairs or so of identical socks. That way if you wear a hole in one, loose one, whatever, you'll still have pairs - and a lot easier to sort if more match with more.

I have been thinking way too much about socks :facepalm:
That's great advice Vidar  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 02:55:30 PM
You all have given me a lot to think about, sock-wise.  :cheers: :salute:

We do have Kevlar socks... Though don't ask me why there is the Swiss flag on them... maybe to justify the price
FYF Barefoot Socks
:ahhh
My dream!!!
I have wanted to take up the barefoot hobbit lifestyle.... But everyone tells me: Pablo, don't be ridiculous! That is anti-social and you'll step of a piece of broken glass and die of tetanus!
Now..... NOW.... With these kevlar socks, I can go shoe-less without anymore talk back! :drool:

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:08:58 PM
My observations with socks have led me to a prime culprit in lessening sock-longevity. The way shoes fit your feet is a huge component in the logevity of socks. Heel holes present quickly if the back of the shoe moves up and down on the heel. Check to make sure your shoes are snug, but not too tight. I buy the really cheap 'defect' socks(the brand name ones with slight imperfections) and they last for about six months a pair. But, to note my personal usage, I wear sneakers(tennis shoes) most of the time and boot when hiking or what-not. I make sure the back of the shoe moves in unison with my heel and there is no rubbing.
Everyone's feet are shaped a little differently and some people's heels are just not going to sit firmly in the back of the shoes. If that is the case, perhaps gluing a smooth piece of plastic in the shoe, where the major wear appears on the socks. Just make sure there are  no sharp edges. :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:11:39 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 03:20:54 PM
 :iagree:

Might be time for a pedicure  :pok:.  Rough heels and worn insoles also play a part in the wear.  I used to wear ankle socks but over time switched to longer ones.  The ones I am now wearing are more then a year old.  Never a hole only the elastic on the upper part gets worn/loose.  I cannot recall the brand sorry.  Thin material is something I cannot wear.  Like SteveC I like merino socks in colder weather and for hiking/camping.
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:40 PM
I'd guess kevlar socks would chafe like nobody's business...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 03:20:15 PM
Here's all i wear for socks and the only holes are from when my Beagle Scout was a puppy and got at them:

-CABOT and Sons brand out of Vermont and WOOLRICH brand. Different wool or wool blend for summer or winter. Various colors and stripes. Very very good socks! I wear them for summer hikes and the winter blend/thickness when I'm out shoveling snow.

-TIMBERLAND. They make a line of socks in various shades of grey, brown and beige that have a thicker heel and toe panel, with Timberland written in yellow, orange, or red across the top of the toes. Great socks and they come in varieties that sit just below the ankle, three finger widths above the ankle, and mid calf. I find them at Marshalls. I have so many of these and these are usually what I wear, whether I'm at work or hiking with Scout up and down mountain trails. I only can't wear them with dress shoes (3xcept in winter) imagine a thick pair of dress socks with heel and toe panels slightly thicker). But I wear them with sneakers, Dickies work boots, Timberland work boots, Doc Martins, any hiking boots, my old H H quare toe harness boots, These socks are the best. Nothing beats them. Nothing. And like I said, the holes that I did have were Beagle in origin.

-COLUMBIA makes a sock a little thicker than the Timberland I just mentioned. They often come I think 4 pair in a blue box and mine are thick stripe pattern. Black and dark red. Or charcoal and a very subdued orange. Various earth tones...they are gaining in my estimation as well.

Nothing takes the place of those Timberlands.

And what others have said in regards to making sure your heel is properly seated into the heel cup of the shoe or boot - that is key. Nothing goes through your socks faster than a dog, or constant excess movement of your heel inside the shoe. They actually make a strip to fit horizontally inside the heel shoe. Not under your heel, but affixed to the inside back, just under where your Achilles tendon will sit, which will prevent that movement. You could get them at the cobbler and any shoe store back in the day.

Sorry fellas. That was a lot on socks...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:23:18 PM by ThundahBeagle »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 03:42:16 PM
I usually buy work socks or whatever sports socks I can get a good deal on a 8+ pack of. For me socks lasts for the most part between 3-6 months, rarely more than that. smurfty thin socks usually lasts me anywhere from a day to a week.

I have tried everything from expensive name brand socks to cheap socks.....to thick socks to thin socks and it is always the same story...

So I don't really care to spend any big money on socks, I have found that sports socks or work socks usually lasts the best for me, so they are the ones I go for.

just my 2 cents
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 10:24:33 PM
So, I will not be rushing to buy socks now, but it will be sometime in the future.  :D
I have to think over all your advice.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 10:37:59 PM
I like “holy” socks!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 11:16:34 PM
My main go-to socks nowadays are just Nike crew socks (the colorful ones, usually sold in pack of 3). I like the compression across the bottom of the foot. I also fold the sock opening down on my calf, just stops above the ankle. In this manner, there is zero chance for the socks to slide inside the shoes. Less abrasion means less wear and tear, you get the picture. I also have more than enough socks for each day of the week. I usually throw socks away when there is a hole at the ball of the foot spot, rarely at the heel or the tip. The compression is usually still good. It is normal for my socks to last over 2 years.

Just my theory, you need to give your socks a chance for some R&R too, just like your shoes. If you wear the same socks for several days straight, I can't see how they last a long time.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 12:20:06 AM
I only wear socks for a day.  :think: Is that abnormal?

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 12:30:02 AM
What size are you?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 12:34:46 AM
Around 42, why?

(Euro size).

All hail the hook!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 01:31:55 AM
Can't believe there is so much discussion on socks !!   :o
Saw the thread and was thinking it will be a couple of posts long !

My suggestions are M&S - pretty sure you have them in IRL - or NEXT - I know Next have a website - We use them for sending to Oz!

I have some Next socks that are well over 10 years old - No holes - But are only just starting to lose their shape a bit (elastic failing)
They were really cool / fun / sad ??? as they were a set of five and had Monday, Tuesday, Wed etc etc embriodered by the ankle

Although one of my colleagues thought I was nuts to have such socks !

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 02:00:05 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68