Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Warranty Testimonial

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Vic Warranty Testimonial
on: October 18, 2018, 09:22:47 AM
Hey all, I've seen posts in the past asking about Vic's warranty. Well, I made use of it recently. I sent in an old fisherman with an overground blade, and a Rescue Tool with a busted awl and general stickiness that no amount of soap or oil could remedy (She's had a hard life....  :dunno: )
I mailed them to the USA warranty center in Connecticut, and from there I assume they were sent over to Switzerland for repair. They put a new blade on my vintage fisherman (old enough for square phillips and can key) and replaced my awl, cleaned and oiled everything nicely, and shipped them back all in the span of approximately 4 weeks. Cost me $5.30 each, and I'm quite satisfied.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Vic Warranty Testimonial
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:47 PM
Thats great to hear.  I have a SAK I've been meaning to send in. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
Hey all, I've seen posts in the past asking about Vic's warranty. Well, I made use of it recently. I sent in an old fisherman with an overground blade, and a Rescue Tool with a busted awl and general stickiness that no amount of soap or oil could remedy (She's had a hard life....  :dunno: )
I mailed them to the USA warranty center in Connecticut, and from there I assume they were sent over to Switzerland for repair. They put a new blade on my vintage fisherman (old enough for square phillips and can key) and replaced my awl, cleaned and oiled everything nicely, and shipped them back all in the span of approximately 4 weeks. Cost me $5.30 each, and I'm quite satisfied.

Congratulations on the great turnaround time on the repairs ! :cheers:

Thanks for posting! :D

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:33:50 PM
Did you need your receipt?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:36:20 PM
That’s a excellent service and price  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:48 PM
Receipts are never needed as far as I know.
Iifetime waranty... who's keeping a receipt all his/her life?

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:55:53 PM
Great info and very affordable. I can live with that!  :tu:

us Offline dkop1

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:47:15 AM
Nope. You give them an authorized dollar amount for repair costs (I said 15 per) anything over that amount they contact you with a price for the repair.
That fisherman is also old enough for any receipt to have long since turned yellow and crumbled to dust  :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

scotland Offline VictorinoxEDC

• Scotland, UK
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 08:32:14 AM
Victorinox in Switzerland via Burton McCall UK charged me £40 for replacement Timekeeper scales last year and took three months for me to recieve it back. So their warranty doesn't cover everything. Other than this, I hear Victorinox do a very good (free of charge) service.

us Offline dkop1

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 09:08:08 AM
Victorinox in Switzerland via Burton McCall UK charged me £40 for replacement Timekeeper scales last year and took three months for me to recieve it back. So their warranty doesn't cover everything. Other than this, I hear Victorinox do a very good (free of charge) service.
To my knowledge, any electronic/electrical parts are not guaranteed for life.  But I've never owned one, so I never looked into the specifics.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 02:59:17 PM
The lifetime warranty covers defects...
Their quality control being rather strict its extremely rare to actually make use of it.

Their repair services are awesome though. They repair as best they can, often for free, or replace tools almost at cost. Cellidor/translucent scales are often replaced for free if you so wish. Alox scales can be replaced for about 10.- (they don't always have OC scales in stock... Ive had good luck with red but never got new silver OC from them).

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 03:29:50 PM
Some of the stuff I think they fix is just plain ole “Goodwill”. We did it all the time and it keeps customers coming back!

us Offline dkop1

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 05:58:56 PM
The lifetime warranty covers defects...
Their quality control being rather strict its extremely rare to actually make use of it.

Their repair services are awesome though. They repair as best they can, often for free, or replace tools almost at cost. Cellidor/translucent scales are often replaced for free if you so wish. Alox scales can be replaced for about 10.- (they don't always have OC scales in stock... Ive had good luck with red but never got new silver OC from them).

I forgot to mention they put new nylon sta-glo scales on the rescue tool as well! Without me even requesting it. They were a bit .... Worn

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 06:10:05 PM
Nice to see that they look after their customers
and the prices seem very reasonable
to have a Victorinox knife restored  :clap: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

fi Offline Gath

Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 12:00:56 AM
Some of the stuff I think they fix is just plain ole “Goodwill”. We did it all the time and it keeps customers coming back!

I sent in a Cybertool 41 with bent pliers and bent outer liners, seemingly just slips of the knife by some user with the liners not purposeful abuse, pliers were clearly twisted the wrong way sometime. :rant: could have refused service quite feasibly.

A SwissTool with a broken lock, only clear warranty case.

A Matterhorn Plus, with liners clearly smashed from hitting something, and a very loose main blade that I didn't spot myself. :rant:

So when they called I expected quite a bit of cost, but he just said that all seems fine and within warranty scope, even as he said that the Wenger was clearly hammered against something, and hard, but instead he just said that the Swisstool and Wenger he can't repair in Finland, Wenger for lack of parts, SwissTool for lack of equipment. So he offered to sent me an another Swisstool from the refurb stock, and he will send the SwissTool and Cybertool to me tomorrow all broken parts replaced, as well the scale tools, missing bits aren't replaced pro bono but since I got a practically unused Cybertool S for 10 euros, they're not a problem,  :whistle:

Sent them in with a customer's return package, no charge to send them back, so the grand total comes to 0.00 euros. :woohoo:

Now it's just a waiting game.  :mail:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:03:27 AM by Gath »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69