Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the surge normally hard to close?

Offline Libertarian Man!

Is the surge normally hard to close?
on: December 03, 2008, 03:14:24 AM
So I just bought a surge from Wal-mart tonight, and I've noticed that one of the handles requires an extraordinary amount of effort to close. I've sprayed it with WD-40 and I've put machine oil on the pivot areas, but it hasn't really helped. Does it just need some breaking in time? Or do i need to buy the security TORX bit and loosen the pivot bolts? I've also noticed it makes a squeaking type noise when i close the aforementioned handle. Is this normal? Or am I just spoiled from going to this from a SOG Powerlock?  ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Is the surge normally hard to close?
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:27:46 AM
First off welcome to the forum Libertarian Man :tu:

Second I don't believe it should be that hard to close (not having one myself ) Check to see if any of the tools are rubbing against the plier head if so then it may have to be sent in and worked on by LM  :ahhh if not it may just need some time to work loose

Hope this helps if not I am sure someone more qualified to answer this will come along ;) :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:35:19 AM
I would return it to Wal-mart they have an excellent return policy.
(

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:41:01 AM
I looked a two different Surges ,and they both seemed the same. I pretty sure I am just a spoiled multi-tool brat since the only brands I've used before were SOG, Gerber, and the Wal-mart one they sell in the camping section. I just saw a video on youtube where it looked like the guy was having the same problem as me, so I have a feeling that this is just normal. And it already feel like it's loosened up just a little bit.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:18 AM
I got my new (slightly used) wave recently and found a similar issue with one side (the plain edge fixed blade/file) being on the tougher side to close. Hope it resolves on its own. GL and welcome to the forum.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:32 AM
I had a really stiff handle on my Surge as well. :-\ I actually took a little piece of sandpaper and sanded down the ramp (on the plier piece) a tiny bit. :P Works perfect now.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:08:59 AM
yeah, it happen to me too, the plier head hits the flat screw driver head, i guess ill have to do something about it, maybe NeitherExtreme  idea work for me too.....ill give it a try :salute:

UPDATE: now it works like charm(with the very same diamond coated file the surge pretty much fix it itself :D ), ill upload the photos tomorrow

here's the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/cliosguy/SurgeProblemFixed# in the last one, maybe isnt to clear, but the flat screw driver head already scratch the plier head
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:26:35 PM by cliosguy »
A

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:47:56 AM
Welcome to the forums Libertarian Man. :salute:

Offline original man

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:18:36 AM
The handles are designed so that one of them is a bit stiffer than the other, it helps closing the tool.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:54:16 AM
My surge is kinda hard to close, not truly challenging but enough that you have to think about it a bit when trying to pocket it one handed and your mind somewhere else.

It has improved a bit with use and lubricant.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:52:44 AM
Welcome to the forum! The SURGE is like a diesel truck the longer you use it the better its performance  :D
I say give it time to loosen up :)
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 02:17:24 PM
My personal issue with the surge on closing is it catches on the tools inside while closing. When I press it hard enough to close it makes a huge snap sound. As for moving the handles, I feel that it's normal. It should take a considerable amount of pressure to release a tool from the open position.

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:48 PM
Okay, just tried it today and it appears the WD-40 and the machine oil I sprayed on last night has worked over the tie period of a day to loosen it up. It's still stiff, but not to the point of where I'm grunting to close it in a hurry. Either that or my hands just got stronger over-night. :multi:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:36:07 PM
My personal issue with the surge on closing is it catches on the tools inside while closing. When I press it hard enough to close it makes a huge snap sound.

thats exactly my problem but now is solved by the very diamond coated file of the surge:
A

Offline SteveRacer

• Mary had a little lamb. With mint jelly and mashed
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:54:02 PM
My personal issue with the surge on closing is it catches on the tools inside while closing. When I press it hard enough to close it makes a huge snap sound.

Thank you greatly !!!    :cheers:    :tu:    :salute:

I thought I was the only one with this problem.  I was going to mention it heavily in my upcoming review.  Did I miss this in all the Surge reviews I've read?  I don't recall reading any mention of this ...  until now !   :tu:

Mine catches when the flat bit is installed as a phillips.  The "needle nose" part of the plier hangs in the cross of the phillips bit.  I've forced it shut a few times, with the dreaded "SNAP!" (before I knew what the problem was) and now the phillips side of the bit has a small gouge.  I've also seen it hang on the eyeglass screwdriver on the other handle.   :bnghd:

Mine was like this fresh from the factory, so I don't think my particular tool is out of whack.  It's a small but signifigant design flaw.

My only "solution" so far has been to make sure both handles are closing evenly ... the piers have to come off the "stiff" part of the ramps that tighten up the handles at the same time.  A bit hard to explain (and not always easy to do) but if you're a Surge owner it will hopefully make sense.  Keep the plier head centered between the handles as you close, and don't let it bias to one handle or the other.  Eventually the plier head extends past the point of tool interference and closes without a hitch.

No real permanent damage or issues; I love this multitool.  Still, to me it's a huge flaw in what should otherwise be the ultimate from Leatherman.   >:(

-steve

P.S.  Welcome to the forum, Libertarian Man.   As a fellow Libertarian, and paranoid armchair conspiracy theorist, perhaps Big Brother has vainly attempted to sabotage our mighty Surge multitool.    THEY FEAR ITS POWER  ....      :ahhh
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:03:37 AM by SteveRacer »
[

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 12:47:33 AM
I had not noticed the closing prob on my SURGE but it does the snap on closing. The other night on closing the SURGE snapped my left palm ooooowww  :o . It has never bitten the hand that loves it before  :o

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 12:49:19 AM
My only "solution" so far has been to make sure both handles are closing evenly ... the piers have to come off the "stiff" part of the ramps that tighten up the handles at the same time.  A bit hard to explain (and not always easy to do) but if you're a Surge owner it will hopefully make sense.  Keep the plier head centered between the handles as you close, and don't let it bias to one handle or the other.  Eventually the plier head extends past the point of tool interference and closes without a hitch.

that was my solution too, till now....
A

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:56:39 AM
I just noticed that when i flip out the saw blade/file holder on my surge, the pivot bolt moves with the saw on both sides of the handle. Has anyone else noticed this. it seems to loosen it temporarily and then re-tightens itself upon closing. This is also the handle that is easier to close. Any suggestions?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 02:00:46 AM
yeah, that happen to me too with the serrated blade, but it doesnt seem to get loose so i think is not big deal

but you can always adjust the screw i guess
A

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 02:26:11 AM
True, but in order to do this I must buy a security TORX bolt:

http://www.eleatherman.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_19&products_id=84

Soon i plan to get that and the 21 bit kit with the 3.5" extension.

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 02:31:00 AM
I just counted the pivot bolts on my SURGE, and their is six points on each torx pivot. So i suppose I can hust go to LOWE's and pick up a kit. Do they sell them in that small of a size? I went to Home depot to get a Husky mini-torx tool but sadly it is the non-security type.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 02:34:46 AM
Soon i plan to get that and the 21 bit kit with the 3.5" extension.

you'll be wise :D, i already ordered the 21 bit kit
A

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:03 AM
I just counted the pivot bolts on my SURGE, and their is six points on each torx pivot. So i suppose I can hust go to LOWE's and pick up a kit. Do they sell them in that small of a size? I went to Home depot to get a Husky mini-torx tool but sadly it is the non-security type.

Wouldn't it be possible to convert it to the security type by drilling a hole in it?
(

Offline SteveRacer

Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:52:36 PM
Wouldn't it be possible to convert it to the security type by drilling a hole in it?

Not for mere mortals.  Even the cheap bits are pretty hard, and have high Vanadium contents.  Remember, it's a T6, so we are talking about drilling a .040" hole is a star shape that's only about .090" in diameter on average.  You'd need a really nice "toolroom" lathe in great shape, capable of 5000 rpm or more, and an eye-watering expensive #60 carbide drill.  Technically the lathe should be CNC, otherwise you better be around 70 years old or more and born in Austria, Germany, or Poland ...  or you'll be breaking expensive drills with an inability to fell how to hand-feed carbide at that small diameter and speed.   :ahhh

I'm sure it's possible, but you could probably by a Snap-On tool franchise for the same investment it would take to drill that hole correctly.   ::)

The easier solution (when you're desperate) is to VERY CAREFULLY take a pin punch and a tack hammer and bend the security stem back and forth until it snaps off.  Then any old T6 will work.  The inside of the fastner socket gets a little marred up, but it's only noticable if you're looking for it.   :tu:

-steve
[

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:32 PM
Thanks for the insight. I've decided it probably doesn't need any tightening because this sounds like something that is regular with the SURGE. Who else agrees?

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 12:13:41 AM
P.S.  Welcome to the forum, Libertarian Man.   As a fellow Libertarian, and paranoid armchair conspiracy theorist, perhaps Big Brother has vainly attempted to sabotage our mighty Surge multitool.    THEY FEAR ITS POWER  ....      :ahhh

Lol, i just noticed that.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 08:48:44 AM
Thanks for the insight. I've decided it probably doesn't need any tightening because this sounds like something that is regular with the SURGE. Who else agrees?

The Surge is just to make you wish you got a Swisstool instead...

Offline SteveRacer

Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 04:57:17 PM

Almost 72 hours that took from the original post.  Are you feeling okay ??

:pok:

-steve
[

Offline Libertarian Man!

Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 10:10:19 PM

The Swisstool remids me that I can save my money and get WD-40 instead.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 10:39:05 PM
I just noticed that when i flip out the saw blade/file holder on my surge, the pivot bolt moves with the saw on both sides of the handle. Has anyone else noticed this. it seems to loosen it temporarily and then re-tightens itself upon closing. This is also the handle that is easier to close. Any suggestions?
I have an older mode SURGE stamped 0505, when close it doesn't snap like your's its kinda loose really, and rattles when closed. Guess Leatherman us really listening to their customers and fix the looseness and rattle problem it a complaint of some with older model SURGE. But to me I like the looseness I can flip my SURGE with one hand to open the pliers like a balisong.
As for the movement on the pivot bolt mine is on the straight knife and the scissors but no worried mine does not loosen and re tightens the pivot bolt moves at the same time both on the left and right pivot points.
I love my SURGE. It used to bother me that the SURGE is not perfect, but now I like it because of its in perfection gives mine a lot of character. Its strong and dependable haven't let me down, but I don't carry it in the city the blade is big and some might think of it as a weapon.
The SURGE and the swisstool is like dogs and cats, the SURGE like a dog very eager to please its master, dependable, easy to work with, ya can teach it new tricks, very rough and tumble kind of tool.
The swisstool is like the cat very elegant!
 :D :D :D :D :D

Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%