Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Victorinox Purists Out There?

Myoman · 31 · 1691

Offline Myoman

Any Victorinox Purists Out There?
on: November 04, 2018, 07:31:40 PM
I had bought a leatherman wave a few years back to supplement my huntsman lite. I was appalled at the lack of fit and finish, the dullness of the blade, and my broken fingernails after attempting to pull out (all at once usually) the overly tight tools. I did like the OHO concepts and Les Stroud was crazy about it so I kept it.

However, I recently lost the leatherman, and instead of making a thorough search, I used it as an excuse to buy a spirit x. I now feel all is right in my life. But I've gotten worse. I find myself cringing at any edc articles that suggest leathermans. I've come to the only logical conclusion: I'm a self serving vixtorinox snob, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

I don't go around actively bashing or scoffing at people who use leatherman tools (except for this coming out thread). After all, edc and the like is a very personal and subjective thing. I'm wondering if there are any Victorinox purists out there, (I've also got a full Vic cutlery set and I'm looking at watches and luggage), I would love to know who you are and we can cackle at our saks together.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:35:21 PM by Myoman »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: Any Victorinox Purists Out There?
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:01:43 PM
Well, i'm not sure what exactly do you mean by the "Victorinox purist" definition, but i just like Vic Sak's because of their quality, usefulness, and look to carry them with me. And i've been carrying them for almost 30 years. As long as they work for what i need them and i like them there is no point on changing for me... Don't know if that falls into the "purist" category, i'm guessing maybe not so much...

As far as tools go, a Sak is just a cool pocket knife to me with a number of handy tools that you carry in your pocket and can help you in a pinch with simple or even emergency tasks, but they can never replace proper tools, neither multi tools (IMO) for that matter. That's why i don't own any... When i really need tools, i "need" tools
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Myoman

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:04:02 PM
I agree. In my mind, sak for light work, multitool for medium work, and real tools for medium to heavy work.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 08:53:37 PM
I can appreciate any quality tool, including LM who did show great ideas so far.
BUT...

I am a true Victorinox fan :dd:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
I've mentioned a couple times before that I only consider myself a fan boy of two brands: Gibson instruments and victorinox.

My only pocket knives are SAKs and my only plier based tools are victorinox spirits. I too also have a victorinox kitchen cutlery set.

I agree gear selection is personal, but for me, victorinox has satisfied my sharps needs
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
I am certainly a fan, I have a couple of watches, 3 or 4 bags, 2 dozen knives and tools, and even a knit Vic logo hat. But I would not call myself a purist, as I use plenty of other brands I like just as much, or more.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:14:25 PM
I have had some leatherman products that match the quality of victorinox (Charge TTi, Skeletool), but it seems that level of fit and finish is there on every victorinox product. LM tools will do the job just as well, better even in some areas. You just don’t get perfect fit and finish, polishing, etc. they are just as capable however, so i dont have an issue recommending them. Also, I love my Spirit, but after years of having a Spirit and a LM, I always go to the LM for hard use. Not that the spirit couldnt take it, but you can tighten a LM up if you go too far. If you loosen up a spirit, it’s just going to be loose. I don’t feel the need to baby it though, if it is in my pocket and I need to use it hard, I will.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:22:43 PM
I have had some leatherman products that match the quality of victorinox (Charge TTi, Skeletool), but it seems that level of fit and finish is there on every victorinox product. LM tools will do the job just as well, better even in some areas. You just don’t get perfect fit and finish, polishing, etc. they are just as capable however, so i dont have an issue recommending them. Also, I love my Spirit, but after years of having a Spirit and a LM, I always go to the LM for hard use. Not that the spirit couldnt take it, but you can tighten a LM up if you go too far. If you loosen up a spirit, it’s just going to be loose. I don’t feel the need to baby it though, if it is in my pocket and I need to use it hard, I will.

I realize a lot of thus is personal preference, but I had two thoughts on what you've said:

1) regarding fit and finish - the thing that makes me not own any Leatherman anymore is that I found them all to be nail breakers when using the inside tools. To the point it caused me pain and actual broken nails. Unfortunately I experienced this across many different tools. So for me, they weren't equivalent to the Swiss tools :dunno:
2) depending upon which LM model, I'd say the spirit could theoretically be easier to tighten when loose. All you need is a hammer to re peen a bit. Some LMs need special tools to manipulate the pivots.

Again, I know this is personal preference, and I'm not saying you're wrong. Just offering another perspective as well  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:24:12 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:53:17 AM
I love the fit and finish of my Spirit. It's just a buttery-sweet tool.

But when I want a tough tool that I can count on, I reach for a Leatherman.

LM aren't as refined, but they do inspired confidence in a way the softer Vic's just don't, for me.   :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 02:45:40 AM

I realize a lot of thus is personal preference, but I had two thoughts on what you've said:

1) regarding fit and finish - the thing that makes me not own any Leatherman anymore is that I found them all to be nail breakers when using the inside tools. To the point it caused me pain and actual broken nails. Unfortunately I experienced this across many different tools. So for me, they weren't equivalent to the Swiss tools :dunno:
2) depending upon which LM model, I'd say the spirit could theoretically be easier to tighten when loose. All you need is a hammer to re peen a bit. Some LMs need special tools to manipulate the pivots.

Again, I know this is personal preference, and I'm not saying you're wrong. Just offering another perspective as well  :cheers:
Those are good points. I have never had the nailbreaker issue on a LM so that is why I had not considered that :tu:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 05:07:11 AM
Comparing Leatherman to Victorinox is like orange to apple. THey are different in construction methodology and metal. I have a lot of Leatherman and a few SAKs, SwissTool, and Spirit. I find the Victorinox blades too thin, too soft, and too sharp ( ::) ) for my liking. The knife blades on the Wave / Charge feel just right. I also prefer the modular construction, when I can take Leatherman tools apart. Try that with a SwissTool.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 05:18:56 AM
I carry and use tools I like and trust. I don't care what name is one the side of it. I'll also mod anything that I think I can improve to suit my needs better, so I suppose I'm a long way from being a purist.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:22:58 AM
I´m not a purist either. From a user´s point of view, I can´t see any reason to limit myself to only one brand. Though for collectors it´s different.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:30:08 AM by Ron Who »

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 05:41:41 AM
Not me, I do love my champs but I usually have at least 1 Buck on me, I much prefer using them for cutting jobs. I have also been known to carry Schrade, Case, and even a Browning or 2. Only owned one Leatherman and it was a gardening tool, the Hybrid, that was a wonderful tool & it makes me sad everytime I think about them not making it anymore.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 06:16:44 AM
While I enjoy my Victorinox tools as much as the next I'm no purist either.  Like others have said, I'll reach for tools that can do the job and both my LMs and SAKs have done so. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 09:24:32 AM
After reading some answers and comments, i find it interesting the way a lot of guys tend to categorize the use of sak's, MT's and actual tools regarding the type/toughness of use...

I really don't look at sak's /MT's on that way... For me, apart from their utility intended function its just something you use at the time because it's all you have on you/near you. They aren't a real substitute for any tool, just what you conveniently have with you.
I'll always grab real tools, no matter the type of task, when i have them with me or near me, and near meaning in the same building/ house.

A MT is convenient to do a decent enough quick/simple job, when you need to do just those simple jobs quickly and can't really carry a tool box.
The reason that i never really warmed up to MT's, apart from not really needing tools professional on a daily basis, is also that i don't really find then easy or practical to use, as far as function of the individual implements, apart from the main pliers. The whole concept of folding implements out of both handles of a pliers never really got me as far as ease of access and actual work productivity, just the actual convenience of a lot of passable tools/implements in a very portable package...

Just personal opinion and experience of course, others mileage may vary...  a lot...  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 09:32:34 AM
I love the fit and finish of my Spirit. It's just a buttery-sweet tool.

But when I want a tough tool that I can count on, I reach for a Leatherman.

LM aren't as refined, but they do inspired confidence in a way the softer Vic's just don't, for me.   :cheers:

Nix, do remember MTs are not for eating  :pok: :pok:  :D

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 11:04:53 AM
I have a number of Vic knives and one Wenger. They're my only current pocket knives. I use a Vic paring knife in the kitchen. I'm not a purist: I'll buy and use whatever manufacturer's product I like. However, in the unlikely event I feel the need to buy a comprehensive multitool, I'd probably consider a Vic first. :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:08:26 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 11:21:47 AM
Not a purist, just a fan of the brand.

I just don't like the typo in the thread title :P
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Myoman

Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23:29 AM

It was an autocorrect that I didn't catch. I freaking hate autocorrect .

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 11:44:53 AM

Same here. A while back it re-enabled itself on my Android phone. I was furious :)

so Offline maxt

Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 02:26:11 PM
I have two 'users' that are not part of my collection. I carried them when I travelled to exhibitions and I needed a light-weight tool for minor adjustments of my booth. Something I can carry on day 0, to fix, tighten, cut, unpack, connect and arrange the things.

Though I like the nice shiny finish of Spirit, Victorinox can't beat the Surge.

My personal comparison:

Where the Surge Tti is definitely better:
The main blade is full-sized heavy-duty knife blade
The handles are more convenient, have better feel and grip and they do not hurt the palms
The pliers are work of art - I can use them for hard and fine jobs
One-hand opening is superb feature saving the nails and the temper when the hands are damn dirty of sweat, greese and oils
The scissors are way better than any other competing model, they can cut even tin metal and leather

Where the Spirit (SwissTool X Plus Ratchet) is better:
It has bit drivers and the 2 handles in the set
It has mini screw-driver.

So I am all for Victorinox\Wenger in all other formats (130mm, 108mm, 93mm, 91-84 mm, 58mm). But in MT world my Leatherman Surge TTi is the ultimate champion.
DSC_0754.JPG
* DSC_0754.JPG (Filesize: 213.46 KB)
fbfwci (1).jpg
* fbfwci (1).jpg (Filesize: 283.69 KB)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:28:36 PM by maxt »
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 09:08:03 PM
Surge TTI??
:shrug:

Looks like stainless handles to me ;)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:58 PM

Same here. A while back it re-enabled itself on my Android phone. I was furious :)

Fixed.   :tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 09:41:06 PM

Fixed.   :tu:

Thanks zoidman!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 11:11:43 PM
Surge TTI??
:shrug:

Looks like stainless handles to me ;)
Wishful thinking, I'm sure. I want a Surge TTI too.  If only Leatherman would make them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 11:14:48 PM
Not a Vic purist either (my EDC is a Wenger)
and the LM Skeletool seems just made to pair with a SAK. Minimal duplication.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:40 PM
Many years ago, if a galaxy far, far away, I was a 'Purist'. Not because of any Brand Only Faithful mentality, but because that was the only MT available at the time that I was aware of. Then came the Leatherman, the Gerber and other such MTs. Then I expanded my MT horizons and the SwissChamp just kind of fell into a 'carry, but not use' role. I still took it everywhere, but I also had my new Leatherman or new Gerber that got more exposure time. Eventually, the poor little SwissChamp was nothing but 'pocket fodder'. Until one day, when I remembered "Hey, SMURFBUTT! There is a saw blade on your SAK!" and then the SAK started seeing more exposure time again. Ultimately, I still carried the SAK, LM/Gerber and used which ever one had a more suitable tool for the task at hand.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 12:09:07 AM
Am I purist? To function, not brand.

Leatherman makes some pretty hideous designs sometimes (the surfing tools, the Juices), and so does Victorinox (SportRatchet,, anything with the autoignighting firebomb, the idiots who decided to make the liner locks left handed or use proprietary bits in the Cybers, etc). If the best tool for the job is made out of turdanium a state owned factory in the United Democratic People's Republic of Evilforniastanmarkada and imported by Gotchyasucker, I will put on gloves and use the turdanium.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:11:03 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 09:36:29 AM
Contrary to your experience with a Wave, I found the SwissTool and Spirit to be among the worst nail breaking MTs I've ever carried. A week or two of being in a dusty work environment, both became almost unusable. :dunno:
They are hard to get properly operating again and mine still have tool opening issues(some kind of crap in the pivots, but I have them manageable). I haven't cleaned my work Surge in months now. Still the same opening force, and all of the tools were easy to open and use from the start. My Spirit has misaligned handles and slight play in the pliers. I haven't used them that much. 30 days each at work for challenges. Vic steel is a bit soft and both of my Swisstools have dinged plier teeth from normal(& careful) use. I don't get the solidarity of hype.  :dunno:
Don't get me wrong. I like the Swisstools, but I wouldn't say they are better than other brands.
High polish and smooth opening do not constitute a fantastic tool. Vic Swisstool drivers don't bite as well as LM/Gerber/SOG drivers, because of the high polish and profile. Blades are soft. Scissors on Spirit are lackluster. Wire cutters are bad. Design isn't original and needs updating. File and saws are great though.
I carry both Swisstools here and there, but I can't force myself to say it's really the best at anything. I don't care to have a separate ratchet. That is like keeping a multi-bit screwdriver in my pocket, but not as good as a dedicated screw driver at turning screws quickly.
I have similar (but different) criticisms about the other big brands too. LM, Gerber, and SOG have a lot to learn from the Swisstools.

My conclusion:,
Fandom is fandom. It can blind people to the possibility that something, that isn't "their" ( ::) ) brand(teams, car companies, countries, & regional localities get the same treatment sometimes), is awful - no matter what. It's part of life and most people partake in it in some form or another.
I do my best not to partake in fandom. I have dozens of brands of tools and would not solidify one brand as the best. It doesn't serve any purpose for me personally. :dunno:
If someone who owns many models of all the big brands still finds the Swisstools to be the best, then to each their own. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:38:47 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%