Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Special Cleaning/Oiling Practices?

il Offline israelpiper

Any Special Cleaning/Oiling Practices?
on: November 29, 2018, 10:20:53 AM

I live just a few hundred meters from the Mediterranean Sea. Prevailing winds are from over the ocean toward my flat, which is in the last row of flats. Open all the way. I have had light fixtures and fans and other devices oxidize in short order. For Multitools, the biggest problem is with files. Just as a relaxing habit, I periodically grab a tool and with a WD40 or equivalent, cotton tip applicators, and light machine oil I clean and oil. Those I take outdoors get gritty in this dusty environ, and is needed they get a warm soapy bath, and a hanging in front of a fan, WD40, a wipe down, and a light oiling.

When I was a kid I used petrolatum or refined sheep lanolin. Then I destroyed a few phosphor bronze washers with petrolatum jellies, and I ruined a few hiking boots, to boot. I do use it on axe heads put up for storage.  Though never had any problems with my old-fashioned Victorinox pocket knives with petro jellies.

I am curious about cleaning/oiling rituals and choice of substances across a variety of tools and blades. Especially from those who live by the sea. Or maybe by that Great Salt Lake in Utah! I've camped by the Dead Sea, which is a lot saltier, but just a few days at a time.

Sad but true, many I know who own and use multitools, but for whom they are purely utilitarian, typically have rusted-out files, joint rust, and blades sharpened on electric stone wheels. They seem to pry more than they slice with knives.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Any Special Cleaning/Oiling Practices?
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:13 AM
I just treat my multitools like my other tools. That means a light clean and spray with 686 or WD40 after use where they have gotten dirty or wet, and then drying properly. (And under no circumstance cleaning with any abrasive metal like brushes or steel wool).

I've had tools regularly used at sea, including non-stainless ones, and as long as I do that fairly soon after dirty or wet use there has never been a rust issue.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:58:10 PM
I use WD-40 to flush out dirt grit etc and then plain mineral oil for lube.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 02:09:12 PM
Not only do I live near the Pacific Ocean I also tend to get my tools wet at times.  I give my tools a spray with WD40 and wipe down with 3in1 oil.  For my SAKs I like to use mineral oil.  For tools in storage I check periodically then as needed or basically as I feel needed I'll wipe with 3in1 oil.  I've used Frog Lube on my carbon blade and find it works fine.  I've not used it on my MTs for storage.  I cant say I've had any persistent rusting on any tools.  I cant say rust has been something I've had to deal with.  Maybe I'm staying more on top of it than I realize or  :dunno:.  My carbon steel blades have all faired very well also. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:24:33 PM
I've used WD-40 and 3 in1 oil and just recently I got hold of a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Here's a little video of the ultrasonic cleaner.

(Sound warning, Ultrasonic frequency interference was picked up by the camera)

I used a drop of washing up liquid and warm water. While the multitool shown wasn't particularly dirty to my naked eye, I was surprised how the water ended up noticeably different from start to finish.

After it's little bath I dried and oiled it with this  :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 01:40:24 PM
I've used WD-40 and 3 in1 oil and just recently I got hold of a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Here's a little video of the ultrasonic cleaner.

(Sound warning, Ultrasonic frequency interference was picked up by the camera)

I used a drop of washing up liquid and warm water. While the multitool shown wasn't particularly dirty to my naked eye, I was surprised how the water ended up noticeably different from start to finish.

After it's little bath I dried and oiled it with this  :tu:
(Image removed from quote.)

Very interesting...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31