Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Asked to present an ID

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Asked to present an ID
on: December 25, 2018, 01:43:10 AM
Will somebody please tell me...what kind of a world do we live in...when at the age of very near 50, I am asked to present an identification or provide a date of birth, just in order to purchase a Victorinox Fieldmaster Swiss Army Knife?

This was a purchase I just made today at a large US retailer called Dick's Sporting Goods. In New England north of Boston.

What a bunch of snowflakes running the show these days. I mean, what self-respectin' New Englander who works with his hands even a little, doesn't have some sort of pen knife?!

What. The. He'll?!

Anyone else have to do that?

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Asked to present an ID
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 01:51:24 AM
Will somebody please tell me...what kind of a world do we live in...when at the age of very near 50, I am asked to present an identification or provide a date of birth, just in order to purchase a Victorinox Fieldmaster Swiss Army Knife?

This was a purchase I just made today at a large US retailer called Dick's Sporting Goods. In New England north of Boston.

What a bunch of snowflakes running the show these days. I mean, what self-respectin' New Englander who works with his hands even a little, doesn't have some sort of pen knife?!

What. The. He'll?!

I grew up in the 1950's and '60's when every man had a pocket knife and no one thought anything about it. A knife was considered to be a common everyday tool.It makes me sad to see how things have changed.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:09:47 AM

What. The. He'll?!

They have lost most of the firearm owners when they sent out all the AR-15 to be destroyed. I don't know who the CEO is but that had to be the dumbest thing to do. They are just being jerks now.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 04:03:48 AM
Dicks Sporting Goods is looked upon poorly down here in the south. Most of us good ole boys will not do business with them due to their politics and such. Not sure why they wish to alienate their customer base.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 04:28:42 AM
Unbelievable.  We have Dick's down here but I've not bought a knife from them to know either way.  I think it's a terrible time in history when things have reached the point that they have.
Thank God for this forum!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 04:44:08 AM
 :iagree:
The bad thing is it will get even worse than what it is now!  :facepalm:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 05:14:18 AM
Their name says it all. I wouldn't go in even just to use the toilet.

But even for them, asking a middle aged guy to show ID when buying a knife seems rather surprising :think:

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:20:51 AM
Especially when employees nowadays don’t want to take the time to do anything extra, like ID for buying alcohol

so Offline maxt

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:05:35 AM
at the age of very near 50, I am asked to present an identification or provide a date of birth
I know sometimes sellers ask middle-aged women to provide the ID, just to show how good they look. You know to raise their spirit and self-esteem.
But I doubt that would be the case for male buyers.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 11:09:19 AM
I went into a supermarket once with a beanie/wool cap (whatever they're called) on, I think I'd been working outside all day or something. Anyway, I got asked for ID and as I took my cap off in preparation for a proper vocal WTF, she said, "Oh you're definitely old enough" and laughed... cheeky bitch cow!!!  :rant:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 12:46:01 PM
All i have to say is, if it happened to me, i would just laughed in the guy's face, walked away and leave, never to return to that store again.
I'm a guy who even refused to show ID to a cop once as i considered no justification at all for the request in that situation, nevermind some idiot employee from whatever store, for whatever reason.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 12:47:08 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 08:35:56 PM
Friends don't let friends do business with the Dicks. Just saying.

I stopped doing business with them a decade ago. They have the right name.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 09:03:22 PM
Well, it was a young girl at the check-out, but I doubt I'm her type...

Usually I buy kayaks and related stuff, or fishing gear, some hike and camp gear from Dicks, as they are one of the few places left who still have a few knives or multi tools in a case for handling.

I needed the  Fieldaster as a last minute gift. Maybe I should have gone to REI instead, seeing as I'm part owner there, along with millions of others, and so far, they don't accost their customers.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 09:28:07 PM
You were shopping in Massachusetts.....right.....?

But, hey, congratulations on the Fieldmaster!  What a great SAK!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 10:58:51 PM

:rofl:
On the Massachusetts
 :like: :tu:
On the Fieldmaster

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 11:04:15 PM
I stopped shopping there a long time ago for reasons other than the current issues people are mentioning.

To be fair, though, they are likely obligated to ID for things that could be considered weapons in whatever area they are in. Much like carding for tobacco and alcohol, they are probably constrained by the law.

Not saying I agree with that law or anything, just that Dick's may not be the ones to blame in this particular case.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 02:18:09 AM
They card in places where it isn't required by law. And about ten years ago, they started asking their non-members for a driver's license or their DOB for non-knife, non-firearms, non-ammo purchases. At least at the one near me.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 02:32:33 AM
I work in South Florida several times a year but do not live there.

I have the occasion to fabricate things sometimes and I have been "Carded" in Home Depots down there several times trying to buy Spray Paint? :dunno:

W the actual F? Spray Paint!

I am also a Middle Aged guy and a technician and think that is what I look like pretty much but evidently they think I am Tagging or Huffing paint somehow? :facepalm:

Plus exactly what is the point of seeing an ID? Are the HD employees trained to spot Bad Painting Intent or something?

Oh and the paint is locked up too.

Of course South Florida is not really the USA anyway so it has that going for it I guess. :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:52:33 AM by ezdog »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 02:42:17 AM

Yes, Nix, I was shopping in the King's Commonwealth of Massachusetts,  a/k/a Taxachusetts,  where Harvard University resides in the People's Republic of Cambridge,  Mass.

I know, I know. I was born here and in many respects I love it here. Sometimes I think I could never leave and other times I think I was meant to live far west of here.

But this is rediculous. I am sure we have laws restrictions blade length and age, however, I am reasonably sure the Vic Fieldmaster does not surpass that benchmark and that my salt and pepper beard - leaning more towards salt than pepper- is more than enough indicator that I'm good to purchase something like this. So I'm sure the store or company has a policy of checking everyone for every knife purchase, just to be sure, to take any guesswork out of it.

This is how starts. Rediculous regulations taking the common sense out of these types of transactions

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 03:10:21 AM
I went to school in Mass.

So much to love about that state. The Berkshires, the Cape, Boston, the Red Sox (Go Sox!), and the history......like Lexington and Concord....where oppression took a swift punch to the nose.

But, while freedom may have gotten a big boost from early Massachusetts patriots, those voices now seem like dim echoes there. I can't, in my worst dreams, imagine having somebody check my papers to be sure I'm able to purchase a SAK. 

What would have happened if you were a hard working 16 year-old? "Sorry, sonny. Nice that you saved up your earnings from that job at the restaurant, but you can't own a Swiss Army Knife."

Really? 

I had my first SAK at age 9 (going on 10). My brother, the one who now lives in Massachusetts, had his first SAK at age 8. Would we now be outlaws in Massachusetts?  :facepalm:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 03:47:43 AM
Indeed, Nix, I believe we would now be outlaws in Massachusetts. Or scoff laws at the very least. Everything's illegal in Massachusetts.

I think the oppression has slowly been coming full circle here. We have some of the toughest firearms laws in the country. I believe in common sense gun laws, for sure. This coming from a guy who has had an unrestricted license to carry in Massachusetts for coming in on 30 years. I've jumped through all hoops necessary.  But ID'd for a frigging swiss army knife?!  Insane. I am licensed to carry much harder hitting stuff than a Swiss army knife, that's for sure.

Not to knock our friends across the pond, but if a line isn't drawn soon, we may have to get a special permit to own a chef's knife in our own kitchen

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 03:49:16 AM
It'll be a sad day.....  :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 03:54:49 AM
Store policy. My SWVA Walmart does the same. Safe to say that I rarely buy a knife from there unless it's a part of a gift set or on clearance. I go to the local knife store, and the only time I have to show an ID is when I pay with check (that's a given anyway everywhere).  With a ton of meth heads around here, both my grandmother and myself have been carded buying cleaning products (which is why we quit going to Family Dollar because of the "type" they attract) at a couple different stores.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 04:03:28 AM
Cody - you have knife stores there, still?

If I'm not at an Army Navy store or Dicks,  then I don't see knives laid out anywhere.

REI has a small display in a corner kiost, and (luckily) an entire isle dedicated to blister packs of  a number of Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, Kershaw, and Opinel. But no sort of Knife Counter where there is a resident expert on knives pulling one out of the case for you while describing it's best features. I'm happy REI has what they have. And I don't get carded for knife purchases there, but that may be because I'm a member and they already have my info.

We also have Hilton's Tent City, maybe I should start haunting that place again to see what they still have on display.

We lost our Chesapeake knife and tool in Boston years ago

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 04:04:27 AM
It'll be a sad day.....  :facepalm:

If im not mistaken, that IS the type of smurf going on in the UK.

By the way, whereabouts did you go to school out here? Lots and lots of good ones

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 04:20:56 AM
Cody - you have knife stores there, still?

If I'm not at an Army Navy store or Dicks,  then I don't see knives laid out anywhere.

REI has a small display in a corner kiost, and (luckily) an entire isle dedicated to blister packs of  a number of Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, Kershaw, and Opinel. But no sort of Knife Counter where there is a resident expert on knives pulling one out of the case for you while describing it's best features. I'm happy REI has what they have. And I don't get carded for knife purchases there, but that may be because I'm a member and they already have my info.

We also have Hilton's Tent City, maybe I should start haunting that place again to see what they still have on display.

We lost our Chesapeake knife and tool in Boston years ago

Yep; we still do, New Graham Knives; which was split off from New Graham Pharmacy some years ago. But used to be all the mom and pop hardware stores around here and some pharmacies sold Case; but that's dropped off to where they're just getting rid of what they have.  Heck one hardware store here (which is now defunct) Bluefield Hardware; was the regional distributor for Boker at the time!

https://newgraham.com/
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:25:27 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:22 AM
Dicks sporting goods/ field and stream lost all of my business just over a year ago. I'm happy to see the decline of their retail stores.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 06:13:27 AM
Across the pond, Europe, I have bought knives from many countries and nobody asked for id or hinted that what I was doing was weird or suspicious.
Supermarkets, hunting shops, tourist shops ......
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 09:10:21 AM
Across the pond, Europe, I have bought knives from many countries and nobody asked for id or hinted that what I was doing was weird or suspicious.
Supermarkets, hunting shops, tourist shops ......

+1

Over here (at least in my country), every one knows perfectly what the laws are, and what's considered a "weapon" and what's not.
What's considered illegal to carry here (called a "forbidden weapon") blade-wise are any blades over 10cm of length, or any fixed or locking or assisted opening blades. Any of those need a good and valid reason to be carried, like hunting or camping, etc. There is no reason for anyone to be edc-ing those items in regular everyday live. And they have to carried and conditioned under certain conditions and rules, not having immediate and easy access is one of them, when there is a valid reason to be carrying one, for a specific purpose.

I could buy a freaki'n "machete" (or 10)over here and no one would give me fuss about it. Get caught carrying one (with no valid justification) though, and I'd be arrested on the spot and charged with carrying a "forbidden weapon".

No offense to the guys over on the other side of the pond, but i gave up a long time ago trying to understand US law's, how they work and wow they are applied over there...  :facepalm:
Not to say law's in Europe are perfect of  course, they are far from it...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:59:19 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 02:27:48 PM

What. The. He'll?!

'nough said...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD