Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Benchmade 380 Aller

Nix · 16 · 1074

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Benchmade 380 Aller
on: January 18, 2019, 05:55:51 PM
Just learned about a new Benchmade 'multitool', the 380 Aller.

It's designed to be a travel knife with a few extra functions: cap lifter, screw driver, hex wrench, 'money clip', and knife blade.  It's a friction folder, but is OHO. Still, it seems as though it could be a  'go anywhere' sort of knife for the international traveller.

I'm intrigued.  Anybody seen one in person?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:00:31 PM by Nix »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Benchmade 380 Aller
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:05:01 PM
Looks a handy little knife  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:04 PM
Seems they missed an opportunity to put a flat or Phillips head on the end of the bottle opener/blade spine to me.  Also, apparently it doesn't function as a sideburn trimming tool....  :facepalm:

I dunno- it looks interesting enough in it's own right, but I have to wonder if this is actually going to be useful or whether it's another one of those things that looks useful enough that you are going to get t for everyone for Christmas, and they are going to keep it in a drawer and never use it.

For example, why a mini screwdriver bit holder?  I think a more standard 1/4" bit slot would make more sense, as it is more likely that you are going to encounter those bits, unless you are also going to carry around a bunch of mini bits with it?

And pretending that a pocket clip serves dual functions because it is also a mini clip seems an awful lot like cheating.  Why not also call it a backpack strap clip while you are at it?  Or belt clip, suspended clip, chip clip, dual function dog collar and leash clip etc.

I was recently approached by a company to review a product (likely will at some point) that claimed to have 31 functions, but for the life of me I only count 18, and that is counting each hexagonal slot twice because it might be a "close enough" fitment for similar sized metric and US bolts.

Just because you list it on the box, doesn't make it an extra feature.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:01:15 PM
I will not be running out to find one.

And I do like some crazy ass little knives too.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:03:08 PM
I just like the look of the blade :D

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:08:50 PM
That is one ugly knife.  :o

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:51:23 PM
I just like the look of the blade :D

I sort of do....

On the one hand, I love a broad blade, and I like the squared off look.  It is very slick and efficient looking, and on a personal level I really like it.

On the other hand, if you want to make a traveler's knife that can be handy but not offensive where ever the person takes it, why make them look tactical?  I had a similar issue with the swooped out hawkbill blade on the Lansky World Knife.

It's like making a child's toy that is super cuddly so that children could love it, then putting the world's creepiest head on it so that any child that gets it will need years and years of therapy.  It doesn't matter how soft it is, if it looks like a love child between Marilyn Manson and.... well...  anything.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Benchmade 380 Aller
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:55 PM
This is my go to small knife.

Doesn't it look just downright cuddly compared to that thing?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:08:20 PM by ezdog »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:50 PM
 :like: :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:52:49 PM
looks interesting but the OHO function might limit it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:14 PM
I'm having mixed thoughts on it.

Any blade is better than no blade.  While this blade will be of limited utility, it may well be very helpful. And the blade is S30V steel, so it should perform well and hold an edge decently. That could be helpful for the traveller who is away from his or her bench stones.

I agree that the 'flipper' lever, part of the cap lifter, is a missed opportunity. I kept looking at it trying to see if it were a Phillips driver. It is so obvious I thought it had to be a Phillips! But no....

I'm less concerned about the hex hole. I don't travel with a pocket full of 1/4" hex bits. If I did feel the need to travel with a pocket full of hex bits, I'd take a dedicated driver. I'm not going to rely on a tiny knife. When I'm on the motorcycle, I have at least a ratcheting bit driver and a dedicated driver. I'm not going to need a little pocket knife to help me out. I see this knife as being potentially useful when traveling to Europe. So I'd like the hex 'wrench' to be sized to the most common European hex bolt head size that a traveller might encounter. Gives me a...10% chance to address a potential problem. Or, make it circle instead of a hex, that would make it a better key ring knife.

The flat bit driver/pry tool looks robust. I do sort of wonder how good a flat bit driver it would make. But as a handy pry tool to use for saving a finger nail, I like it.

As for the clip, I do use a money clip when Mrs Nix lets me have some cash. I might consider using this as a money clip. I'd have to try it out. If I didn't like the money clip thing, I'd remove the clip altogether and turn it into a keychain knife, maybe on a 'lobster claw' clip so it could be removed easily for use.

That is one ugly knife.  :o

Fuzzy, you clearly don't understand the abstract beauty of modern industrial design. If you did, you'd know that it is actually quite beautiful. Or so I'm told.

I don't mind the looks. I don't think it looks particularly 'tactical'. It barely looks functional, so tactical isn't registering with me. But then, I don't think a Black Alox SAK looks vert tactical either. I could be wrong about that, too.

I think this tool has some potential use and benefit. It saddens me that this is Benchmade's response to the new and improved knife laws of the world, but I get where they are going: a small utility knife that nobody could really consider dangerous. (Although even the humble single-edged razor blade has been used injuriously.) And I am happy that they are starting to look at knives as being more multifunctional. Still....it's not clear this new knife is adding much to the field.

I was asking myself how does this offering give me anything more than a Vic Cadet does? 

The Cadet has a more useful blade shape and size, in my opinion. The Cadet can do your caps and cans. I can achieve light prying with a Cadet. I have some flat and Phillips capability with the Cadet. Plus with the Cadet I have that handy nail maintenance tool. Cadet wins, right?

But....the 380 Aller does look pretty sturdy. Those Vic tools are easy to mangle if you aren't careful. That S30V blade is going to keep a great edge longer than Vic. So, with my Vic, I now might feel I need to pack a small stone or two with me on that trip.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 01:17:31 AM
We also have no clue just how much this little gem will cost?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 01:25:01 AM
From the Benchmade website:

That's MSRP, so street prices will likely be more favorable......I assume.... :dunno:

us Offline gregpost

Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 01:42:19 AM
Seems wildly overpriced for what it is. On average the American folding knife industry is the most overrated product segment in sporting goods/outdoors.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:44:51 AM by gregpost »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 02:48:15 AM
Hmmm...their knives sell and they stay in business, so I guess they know something about setting a price point for the market. Maybe we're just suckers for a pretty blade.

If MSRP is $160, but they are offered in on-line stores for...$95?.....I bet they sell. But, we shall see. If the Aller doesn't sell, we may not see it in next year's line up.  :dunno:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 04:10:59 AM
Maybe it is just me, but i buy a knife not only because of features but also because of looks. And i do not like the looks of this at all. Reminds me too much of the cleaver the butcher was swinging in the Diablo game...  :facepalm:

Also way too overpriced for what it is. I agree with Nix here. For that price i can get three outstanding SAK’s, that can do more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%