Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You ever see one of these?

glorn · 19 · 2802

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
You ever see one of these?
on: December 08, 2008, 11:35:27 PM

Friend gave it to me "..because you like multitools".
It says "Taiwan" on the vinyl/rubber grip and that is it.

Not exactly an EDC item, and this one needs to be cleaned of surface rust and then tightened, but.. I may throw it in the truck.

I cannot imagine this is an uncommon tool, but I can't find anything on it.

G.
G

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: You ever see one of these?
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:41:08 PM
Those were sold in Surplus stores years ago like Big Lots.

They actually work well for being cheep, and you want to carry only a couple tools in a bag, but I would not build a home with one!
S

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:50:46 PM
Oh, lord no!  :D It is certainly not a hammerplierwhatever worthy of home building. Still, it does have a nice weight to it, and my initial impression is: "Meh, that might not be bad to have in the glovebox."
G

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:54:37 PM
I have an OLD tool, very similar to that.. I will try to dig it up!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:42:14 AM
I've seen pictures of those before but never handled one. Seems like they are generally referred to as "fencing tools".
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:51:17 AM
I have a similiar tool on the wall.  Definitely a fencing tool.  Pulling old brads, twisting wire, cutting wire and hammering done new brads.

Got mine at TSC (Tractor Supply Co for the Poms  :D)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:15 AM
Ah, interesting!

I did a quick image search for "fencing tool" and this does indeed seem to be based on that design.

Unique to this one is the slip joint and the sort of "channel lock" type pliers addition on the side (which has the nail puller cut into it). You can't see it in the picture I posted, but when slid into the second position, the tip has a blunt pliers nose that would be good for staple pulling.

So it would seem the best guess here is that someone saw a fencing tool and decided to tweak it into a cheap mutt for multipurpose home use? Or do you think this is just a variation of the fence plier?

I have to be honest, I have been cleaning it up and thinking of scenarios in which it might be a useful MT companion. It certainly could free up that fitting or hose that the MT can't quite fit around.. it could twist or hold firm while the MT does its work.. you can of course drive a nail with it... and should the need to clobber some imbecile about the face and neck arise...

;)

Thanks for the leads fellas!

G.
G

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:44:15 AM
Ah, interesting!

I did a quick image search for "fencing tool" and this does indeed seem to be based on that design.

(Image removed from quote.)

Unique to this one is the slip joint and the sort of "channel lock" type pliers addition on the side (which has the nail puller cut into it). You can't see it in the picture I posted, but when slid into the second position, the tip has a blunt pliers nose that would be good for staple pulling.

So it would seem the best guess here is that someone saw a fencing tool and decided to tweak it into a cheap mutt for multipurpose home use? Or do you think this is just a variation of the fence plier?

I have to be honest, I have been cleaning it up and thinking of scenarios in which it might be a useful MT companion. It certainly could free up that fitting or hose that the MT can't quite fit around.. it could twist or hold firm while the MT does its work.. you can of course drive a nail with it... and should the need to clobber some imbecile about the face and neck arise...

;)

Thanks for the leads fellas!

G.

I have one of those I got it at tractor supply for around $17 the strange thing was I seen a chinese one in the same store and it cost over $20.
(

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 02:03:39 AM
The fencing tool! Oh man I absolutely love those. Great if you do anything with nails, staples or non-electrical wire.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:31:52 AM
Ooooh, how about the Plammer?   

http://www.enasco.com/product/C18159N

(I think I like the name more than the tool) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:54 AM
Theres also one thats made for Mig Welding but I don't know what its called.
(

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 05:56:34 AM
I use my fencing tool for cutting hard wire now,but back in the fifties I used it to string barbed wire for my Uncle,the first picture posted by Glorn looks like it could be used by an old plumber working with galvanized pipe also. :salute:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 06:19:17 AM
Out here where I live the fencing tool is standard equipment. I`ve never seen the tool in the first picture. Nor am I familiar with the Plammer. Such interesting tools.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 03:08:49 PM
So last night I decided to take it apart and remove all the rust. The nut was frozen (or possibly purposefully locked on) and impossible to remove. I managed to round the hex key hole in the bolt, and ultimately had to hacksaw the nut off.

Better that I removed it anyway. The pliers were floppy and could not be tightened.

I can now clean it up and restore it, but will need some help finding a replacement for the bolt. It is thicker and not threaded near the bolt head so as to slide in the slip joint. Anybody here think I can find a suitable replacement?

I'll post a pic and some dimensions later.

G.
G

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:16:35 PM
 :think: Fencing tool?  :duel:  ;)

Back on topic you should be able to get the bolt you want in any good hardware store.  I would also think about using a nylock nut to hold it in place.  Either that or get some Threadlock.

:pommel: I'll leave now.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline SoDak

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 02:34:55 AM
Aww the good old fencing tool. Great for fencing, but I still say they make a sucky hammer. If I need to pound in a lot of wood staples or something, I just pack a real hammer with. Oh, has anyone ever found a source of small fencing plier like they used to make? It seems like the new ones were made to be better hammers and all you get is a cumbersome set of fencing pliers. The old small ones were better.

Getting back on topic. That plier hammer tool does look neat. I'm not sure how useful it is, but I'll be interested to hear a report.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 05:55:24 AM
Fencing tool Harbor Freight style.  I saw one when I was in there last week.
97598 (Small).gif
* 97598 (Small).gif (Filesize: 20.21 KB)
Dennis

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 12:19:08 AM
Okay, so the pictures suck, but.. I did get the thing apart and gave it a good once over.

I find cleaning up tools to be rather therapeutic, so this was a pleasant process. I began with a good soak in a chemical rust remover, followed by a good bit of work with a Scotch Brite pad. Finally a polish with the steel wire brush wheel on the Dremel, and a spritz of WD-40. New stainless hardware completes the job. Came out awful pretty for a cheap Taiwanese tool that had a good bit of rust and wear. The steel seems to be quite good actually.

Surprisingly handy, I have used it to free a few frozen pipes, tack up some Xmas lights, cut wire, etc. Too bad it is so bulky (by necessity of design and function of course), it would make a terrific EDC MT companion. I think it will live in my truck from now on. I'm even gonna give it some valuable glove box space, or maybe even a spot wedged between the seats in a tool wrap.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:28:30 AM by glorn »
G

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 12:44:16 AM
Good clean-up job glorn! I know what you mean about therapeutic, I am exactly the same!
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD