Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will PST II File fit inside charge handles

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Will PST II File fit inside charge handles
on: January 27, 2019, 12:07:26 AM
I’m going to make a Charge TTI saw based “knife” after seeing Poncho’s, so I will not have to mess pliers closing.

Has anyone modified a PST II diamond file to fit inside Charge or Wave handles?  What was required?

If it’s a simple lock grind, I might take the plunge.

Is the PST II File long enough to be useful?  I’ve only seen them in pics. How does it compare to size wise to a ST300 and Rebar?  I can check both for reference.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Will PST II File fit inside charge handles
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 01:31:54 AM
It will fit and should only require a bit of grinding to make it lock up better :tu: the Rebar file and it will be closest in size if you want to check with it but the Rebar file is already ground for the same type lock and will fit without any modifications  :cheers:

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 02:50:16 AM
Thanks Poncho.  I just meant in reference to size for the Rebar File. I’m not going to rip mine apart to try to fit it.  I just want to make sure it’s large enough to be useful.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 02:54:10 AM
The PSTII is a really great file and very useful :tu: it is one of the better LM files and if the PSTII had a PE blade I think they would have sold more than they did  :like: the Pulse actually has the same toolset as the PSTII and it has the PE blade :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 06:48:52 AM
It depends on what do u need it for. For the diamond side, most of them have a groove for sharpening fish hooks. And many of them are slightly raise around that groove. For me, I do not like nail nicks, cut outs or groove on my files, I find those to be more of a hindrance than being useful. The later pst 2 models have files that have no groove. If u can find them, they are more useful imo. All depends on what u need them for.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:17:11 PM
It depends on what do u need it for. For the diamond side, most of them have a groove for sharpening fish hooks. And many of them are slightly raise around that groove. For me, I do not like nail nicks, cut outs or groove on my files, I find those to be more of a hindrance than being useful. The later pst 2 models have files that have no groove. If u can find them, they are more useful imo. All depends on what u need them for.

:iagree: I have them both ways and have never really been bothered by the groove but I can see how it can be a hindrance :salute: Nice point, Sam :hatsoff:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:51 PM

:iagree: I have them both ways and have never really been bothered by the groove but I can see how it can be a hindrance :salute: Nice point, Sam :hatsoff:
;) very often I will be using them to round off something.. Many times, whatever I am working on drops into those grooves and such... I dun fish so the sharpening groove is quite useless to me. Though I would really like to go fishing one day! I will bring one with the groove with me! But hell yeah. Pst implements with some work on the locking area, will fit into a wave/blast/rebar perfectly.

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:40:44 PM
Thanks guys. Depending on how much I can talk him down on the PST II File, I may just toss a Rebar saw inside the handle and keep the Charge File. Time will tell.

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:46:09 PM
Interesting. I thought the wave tools were noticeably longer than the rebar items.  Looks like the saw is literally 2 teeth short and the file is very similar as well.

I think placing the tool where they’re easier to use is more important than which models tool are “better”.

us Offline Tarheelpwr

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:07:18 PM
So my need to over think everything kicked In. Since I’m considering going with a Rebar saw inside the handle, should I look at a SAK saw?

Is the SAK saw better than the Rebar saw?  What’s the longest saw that will fit inside the Charge handles? 

How much modification is required to make it work?  Keep in mind, no pliers to worry about, just the lock.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 10:40:06 PM
If it's going inside the handle I doubt a SAK saw would have enough outer pivot area to lock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%