Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VICTORINOX SWISSCHAMP XL

Offline Earth4321

VICTORINOX SWISSCHAMP XL
on: February 15, 2019, 11:19:49 PM
Hello everyone! New to the site but not to knife/Multitool collecting.
Here for some thoughts on a Victorinox knife. While cleaning and going through my collection, I ran into this knife, which I purchased around 1999-2000, and have had it with me since. With a de ent collection at hand, this particular knife got very little use, if any, before going on rotation with other Multitools and knives I’ve carried over the years.  (Opened a few boxes... Can’t recall carrying it around much. ) Anyway... Found it, and got curious as to the model. Looked a bit, but couldn’t find anything for the life of me. Finally found a couple of sites with every model that Victorinox has released. Looking at the tools included, the only knife I found that falls under the description, is the VICTORINOX SWISSCHAMP XL. My purchase does fall within the time frame the knife was on the market, and it has all the tools as described. There is one detail I’m curious about. Mine came with black scales. I’ve done as much research as I could on it, but can’t find the SWISSCHAMP XL with anything but red scales. I evidently don’t have the box, only the leather pouch I’ve kept it in (which I truly can’t recall if I got separate, or if it came with the knife.) Anyway, I’ve included detailed photos, in the hopes that you guys can share some more information on the knife. Knife is clean, absolutely no rust, all the tools open and close with no problem, and apart for a few minor scuff marks on the scales, and some easily cleaned fingerprints on the blades (it is almost 20 years old after all) it’s in mint condition, pen, pin, tweezers, and toothpick included. Took a few more photos, but didn’t know I could only post a max of 4. Let me know if you’d like to see more pictures of any part of the knife in particular.
Thanks in advance!
Andy

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: VICTORINOX SWISSCHAMP XL
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 11:23:39 PM
Hi Earth4321 and welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
Nice looking SwissChamp XL :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Offline Earth4321

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:26:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:01:03 AM
Welcome aboard Andy! Nice Swisschamp and we're glad to have you here!
Barry

Offline Earth4321

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 12:24:14 AM
Thank you!

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:36:51 AM
Welcome!  That XL is nice!  I hope to find one some day.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 12:39:22 AM
Welcome to MTO Andy.
That's a really nice SC xl  ... gotta love the electrician blade  :like:

Offline Earth4321

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 01:03:54 AM
Thank you! Now, I know it’s all subjective, but any idea on how much this knife is currently going for? I don’t foresee using it in the near future, and have my eyes set on another Victorinox (the workchamp XL).

Offline Earth4321

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 01:09:27 AM
Well, actually I’d like the xlvt, if I can afford it. 😜

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 04:51:00 AM
any idea on how much this knife is currently going for?

Hard to say with the split in the mag glass bezel. My guess for NIB or mint ones would be over $400. So maybe $150-$200 or more for yours? Maybe get it repaired first by Victorinox. Should be free, but you might get the newer style clear surround/bezel current version for that layer. And that would also get the new shorter phillips. Fixed by the factory and with new scales on it probably wouldn't detract from the near-mint value at all.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Earth4321

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 11:00:31 PM

Hard to say with the split in the mag glass bezel. My guess for NIB or mint ones would be over $400. So maybe $150-$200 or more for yours? Maybe get it repaired first by Victorinox. Should be free, but you might get the newer style clear surround/bezel current version for that layer. And that would also get the new shorter phillips. Fixed by the factory and with new scales on it probably wouldn't detract from the near-mint value at all.

If the factory changes the mag glass (It does have a tiny split in the bezel, which I hadn’t noticed till I took the photos. No clue as to how it happened but being plastic, I imagine it would be common, even on a 20 year old knife with little use. ) wouldn’t the change to the newer version of the magnifying glass by the factory affect the value? It would no longer be all original parts.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 06:13:40 AM
Welcome! And nice XL

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 06:32:24 AM

If the factory changes the mag glass (It does have a tiny split in the bezel, which I hadn’t noticed till I took the photos. No clue as to how it happened but being plastic, I imagine it would be common, even on a 20 year old knife with little use. ) wouldn’t the change to the newer version of the magnifying glass by the factory affect the value? It would no longer be all original parts.

I've never seen one split like that before. My original is 35 years old and is a bit browned. I have seen a fair amount of cracked glass on *bay.

I'd contact Victorinox directly and find out if they have gray ones in stock first. Updating it probably would affect value negatively a bit. My guess is not by much if done by Victorinox and not by as much as the split bezel does.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 08:04:53 AM
Hi Earth421

Welcome to MTo.madness - Where between us we know all there is to know about MTs and SAKs .... truly!!   - It's no false claim!
But you do need to find the right person or thread!!!  :think:

Finally found a couple of sites with every model that Victorinox has released.

I hope one of those sites was SAKWiki.com
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+SwissChamp+XL
Which is maintained by members of this forum   :tu:   :D 
And in fact the knife in the photos on the XL webpage is from one of our members' collections

Smart knives was the other site I guess

And of course it is the XL - The golf tool  is the giveaway
As you will have read it is not so common as it was only around for a couple of years - So worth hanging onto I'd say.
The WC XL is a great beefy work horse - But this is much rarer and classier?

I would not worry about the back scales - Many knives from that period were available in red or black
It is the other colours that are more recent

Definitely worth getting the mag glass replaced - Vic would be best to do it of course - As long as they still have the grey ones
Do not put a modern one in this knife !!!    :pok:
Or you could try it yourself - Or get a modder here to do it - If you find a donor tool/model. 
You'd have to be careful with those 11 layers!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:08:17 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 12:56:22 PM
Hello everyone! New to the site but not to knife/Multitool collecting.
Here for some thoughts on a Victorinox knife.

Welcome to the forum Andy! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 03:27:18 PM
Welcome Andy and I'd have Vic repair it....their work is outstanding and they'll go out of their way to make things right.  Just make sure you check "Sentimental" when you complete the work order.
Barry

Offline 11sumos

Reply #16 on: November 03, 2023, 05:08:32 PM
Hello it is indeed a champ xl , sorry to ask but is the knife for sale .

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 09:36:37 PM
Be advised this thread is 4.5 years old....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%