Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Spring Questions

pomsbz · 42 · 1889

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: SAK Spring Questions
Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 09:17:37 PM
This is satisfying and I can't wait for the results! I really enjoy reading and seeing pics of people solving problems

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 04:29:09 PM
Here it goes folks. Just needs to be sharpened back up now. Oh and the custom scales I ordered for it haven't arrived yet, these are some old nylon scales for the moment.

3 layer, blades centre line, inline screwdriver. Pretty much my perfect urban SAK EDC.

I'm happy about most of it. The bottle opener sits a drop high but isn't uncomfortable in hand. The biggest 'problem' is the scissors layer. It doesn't sit well with the corkscrew which sits a bit proud but again not enough to dig into the hand. I didn't realise prior to dismantling but the hook creates the correct strain on the scissors spring to provide the snap. Without the hook it closes lazily unless the corkscrew is open. Again, not enough to be any problem in use. I'm sure someone with the skill set could modify the spring to fix both problems but I did the entire mod using the bottle opener on a 111mm, my LM Charge pliers/file and a hammer. Hardly high tech.  :D

What will I do next time? I'd probably keep the blades where they belong (on the side) with the corkscrew and put the awl on the scissors layer. I'd also be a drop more careful with my spacer under the bottle opener for a more precise fit.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 04:32:29 PM
Nice work and Awsome mod!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 04:35:08 PM
Good job!  It looks pretty good as is :cheers: , I look forward to its next evolution!  :popcorn:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 04:36:00 PM
Good job!  It looks pretty good as is :cheers: , I look forward to its next evolution!  :popcorn:

Don't hold your breath.  :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 04:45:06 PM
Don't hold your breath.  :rofl:

:rofl:  Ok, roger that.  But do put up the new scale photo though.  :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 04:47:50 PM

:rofl:  Ok, roger that.  But do put up the new scale photo though.  :D

You bet!

Thanks to both you and kottskappa!

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 04:50:56 PM
Nice mod pomsbz  :cheers: Good to see some different tool configs - nicely done.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 05:11:24 PM
Ingenious! :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 05:52:53 PM
Had a thought of a variation of this mod. Basically a Pioneer X with the big/small blade from a 91mm. I prefer the thinner main blade which don't have the rather noticeable crinking of the Pioneers and I don't need an awl. How possible might that be? Would the blade spring work without something on its back to tension it? I also haven't a clue how to peen the pins on a alox model, how do you do it without wrecking the alox bumps on the handles?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:31:52 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 06:39:45 PM
Just finished sharpening it up, I don't care what happens, I'm not giving up centre line blades! It's such a joy to use! I've only been carrying single layer pocket knives for that reason. Once the blades move back to centre line it makes such a difference in how easy it is to hold and work with those blades. I'm revising my next version of this build. I'll leave the hook with the scissors and keep the awl on the back of the blades. I use the corkscrew for undoing knots and the awl works for that task if blunted. I'll do this sooner rather than later. I have all the parts including the spare liner and the extra collars I'll probably need by the time I've had the pins drilled out again on this knife. Only annoying thing is that the scales I ordered have the corkscrew slot. In any case it ain't over until the fat lady sings! :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 10:11:13 AM
Glad you like the layout! :2tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!