Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the juice inherently weak?

us Offline NetsNJ

Is the juice inherently weak?
on: May 05, 2019, 11:14:16 PM
Hi folks.

I love the juice s2, one of my favorite multi tools.  Love the sak-like snap and tiny profile.

My question is: are the backsprings Leatherman manufactured inherently defective or weak?

I see so many broken juices on eBay relative to other multitools.  Do people think this is because Leatherman botched the backspring design or tempering, or people really abused these light duty tools?

In general I have high regard for Leatherman quality, but am worried by what I see.  (Even a few users on this forum appear to have broken their juices, and people here generally know how to treat tools and their limits.)

Thoughts?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Is the juice inherently weak?
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:17:47 AM
Good question!

The only Juice I still own, and have any time for, is the KF4. If that fouls up, I know warranty won't replace it like for like. I think the only real vulnerability on it is the backsprings, but don't know why they seem to be prone to failure. I think if/when mine does fail, I'll most likely have to look for a donor, rather than send it in.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:34:20 AM
I have not found the backsprings to be weak, but I have a relatively small data point.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:02:29 AM
They are meant more as a light duty tool (to me anyway :salute: ) and I think more often than not, people will treat them as rough and hard and they would a SURGE :think: that is a high probability for why you see so many of them broken on the bay perhaps :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:00:03 AM
I've had two Juices with broke back springs.  My S2 currently has a broke bottle opener back spring but I'm not gonna send it in just yet.  I don't use the bottle opener so its not a big deal. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 06:10:37 AM
I've had two Juices with broke back springs.  My S2 currently has a broke bottle opener back spring but I'm not gonna send it in just yet.  I don't use the bottle opener so its not a big deal.

Can I  ask the circumstances of the breaks?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 06:18:22 AM
On my OG CS4 I havent a clue.  One day I noticed the back spring cracked.  I use the pliers mostly with the scissor second.  On my current S2 also an OG model I mostly use the pliers under med to light use and second are the scissors.  I cannot say when the back spring broke or under what condition.  Like my CS4 I noticed the spring was broke.  I can't honestly say what the problem is.  I sent my CS4 in but got the newer version which is ok.  I preferred the older version so I sold it off. 

So far my back up OG CS4 is holding up well.  My partners is also.  We don't use them as much and she knows its a light duty tool.  My S2 is fine otherwise.  I like the tool just dont want the newer version with shorter blade.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 07:51:49 AM
They are meant more as a light duty tool (to me anyway :salute: ) and I think more often than not, people will treat them as rough and hard and they would a SURGE :think: that is a high probability for why you see so many of them broken on the bay perhaps :D

:iagree:

- That's my theory too Ponch - It's a SAK - But with way better pliers than a SAK  - But not in the same league as the larger multitool pliers - or of course regular pliers

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 05:35:24 PM
I view my C2 as a regular pocket carry tool. Not a brick like anything bigger; and just something to handle light jobs around the house. Now I'm not going to be doing fence work or trying to dislodge a rusty bolt, but it will change batteries, cut zip ties, open the mail; work with small electronics projects or small DIY tasks.  More of a usable tool than a Squirt, better pliers than a Skeletool, fixed drivers that I can use with a closed tool (unlike the Surge), but more compact than any other model/series.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 06:02:44 PM
- That's my theory too Ponch - It's a SAK - But with way better pliers than a SAK  - But not in the same league as the larger multitool pliers - or of course regular pliers

I agree.  But we rarely see broken backsprings on SAKs.  We do see them on Juices!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 06:44:50 PM
Its a good tool and could be great.  LM stopped short IMO.  The revamp was shorter blades and covers changes.  I'd really love to see this line actually revamped.  It could be a real competitor to the SAK. well I maybe ahead of myself. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD