Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any scale modellers here?

gb Offline Captain Sabretache

Any scale modellers here?
on: May 14, 2019, 10:41:39 PM
Hi all

Does anyone on MTO enjoy building scale models? If yes then what type, brand, scale, subject of model do you enjoy building? Personally I enjoy building 1/35 military models.

Also it would be great if we could begin a thread for this and upload pics of a time when you used your multitool or SAK in your model building.
IMG-20180313-WA0000.jpeg
* IMG-20180313-WA0000.jpeg (Filesize: 57.71 KB)
In a world of S**t the man with the peg on his nose is King.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.
Benson: Oh, you say such nice things, Master.
Evil: Yes I know, I'm sorry!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any scale modellers here?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 11:18:10 PM
Nice looking Tiger Moth (?) Capt.  :like:

Not a hobby of mine, but I can appreciate the work!
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:32 PM
Nice looking Tiger Moth (?) Capt.  :like:

Not a hobby of mine, but I can appreciate the work!

:hatsoff: Thank you. It was the first i ever built. Hopefully there are a few more modellers on here, given the level of creativity you see on this forum I'm sure there are some.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:31:37 PM
Those Airfix models can be a fiddle so you did great, especially with the paint job. Often the most tricky part from what I’ve seen.   :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:37:15 PM
Those Airfix models can be a fiddle so you did great, especially with the paint job. Often the most tricky part from what I’ve seen.   :salute:

:hatsoff: Thank you. Like anything it takes time to figure out what paints and methods work best for you. Some builds are pretty insane in their size and detail like this gustav gun.

This model is not one of mine and this picture is not my property. Are there any rules in regards to me posting this I'm not sure.
01 Dora Boness.jpg
* 01 Dora Boness.jpg (Filesize: 352.42 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:57:14 PM
Wow that’s a model!  :like:

I’ve not seen any issues reposting images that are already in the public domain that you’re not using  for profit, ie on a site selling stuff. But if you publish online your own work (like a blog or story) it’s best to acknowledge any work that’s not your own such as images or information. Lots of guidelines online, but unless your going into online publishing, probably nothing to waste your time researching.  :cheers:

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 12:05:37 AM
Wow that’s a model!  :like:

I’ve not seen any issues reposting images that are already in the public domain that you’re not using  for profit, ie on a site selling stuff. But if you publish online your own work (like a blog or story) it’s best to acknowledge any work that’s not your own such as images or information. Lots of guidelines online, but unless your going into online publishing, probably nothing to waste your time researching.  :cheers:

It certainly is a beast thanks for the advice MS. :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:26:32 AM
We had a thread about airbrushes a while back, but I am not sure if we had a model thread.  I used to build models of all kinds- cars, figures, dragons, ships, planes, sci fi, you name it, I probably built it.  I haven't built one in years, but I have been thinking of getting back into it.  I really do miss it.

I used to pore over Revell catalogues and Fine Scale Modeler magazines, learning every technique and seeing what others were doing.  I remember a diorama in FSM called something like "CHP has faster cars than Hollywood" and it showed a police garage where the mechanics were painting a Countach in police colors.  I was so enamored with that pic that I went out and bought a Ferarri F40 model done up as a black and white police car and I scratch built roof lights from old cassette parts and the cover off a straight razor.

Here is a thread where I posted some of the pictures of lead dragons that I painted when I should have been out making friends and meeting girls.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 01:07:54 AM
Nothing much more than the basic Snap-Tite type kits. And quite frankly, they look bad out of the box--the colors they're often molded in look bleached. Maybe I ought to try the Quickbuild Airfix makes.   Been looking at doing a kit build that's a bit more advanced, however. I can fit the parts. I have no problem gluing them. It's just I paint worse than a kindergartner. But that Sopwith looks great!

I really like what Airfix is putting out in 1/72, and it's inexpensive,  but my coordination isn't that good.

Because I'm into heavy machinery in my diecast hobby, I was looking at this kit. Sold today without Caterpillar branding as the "Construction Bulldozer"; back when it was originally made in the 1970s, it was sold as a CAT D8H. A neighbor's got a 1/1. Yeah, some detailing needed, but nothing complicated like camouflaging patterns.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 01:33:48 AM
I've a build underway as we speak....a Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II .

Some of my other work
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73019.msg1516547.html#msg1516547
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 08:07:48 AM
In my younger days I used to be an avid modeler, mostly 1/72 aircraft and ground forces and 1/600 ships. None of these survive, alas. At university I did a bit in HO cars for reasons of space, mostly (Dutch themed) emergency services, of which I might have some left which I could post pics of if anyone is interested, but I'll need to dig a little in old boxes.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:32:04 AM
In my younger days I used to be an avid modeler, mostly 1/72 aircraft and ground forces and 1/600 ships. None of these survive, alas. At university I did a bit in HO cars for reasons of space, mostly (Dutch themed) emergency services, of which I might have some left which I could post pics of if anyone is interested, but I'll need to dig a little in old boxes.

Hi DT

Yes i would love to see some of your work.  :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 11:40:03 AM
 :cheers: *starts digging*
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
WWII planes were my childhood passion.  :cheers:

I was never much good at it, too much in a hurry and not neat enough, but I sure enjoyed it.

I still have mixed feeling to this day, my cousin borrowed them for a display at school and I got a box of spares back  :poh:  On the other hand, I dread the thought of having to have schlepped them with me through my travels..... :facepalm:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 12:00:05 PM
I have dabbled with 1:35 army and 1:72 army and aircraft in the past but I am notorious for never finishing them.  :facepalm:
I have a Kittyhawk and a Beaufighter around here somewhere...
IMG_0126.JPG
* IMG_0126.JPG (Filesize: 118.54 KB)

Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 12:09:04 PM
I have dabbled with 1:35 army and 1:72 army and aircraft in the past but I am notorious for never finishing them.  :facepalm:
I have a Kittyhawk and a Beaufighter around here somewhere...

You can never have too many pegs :D i finshed a 1:42 beaufighter I'll  jave to post some pics late. I also done finished a 1:35 251/german halftrack.  I was working o  a fokke wulf but due to other recent projects its half assembled on a shelf somewhere.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 12:20:37 PM
When I was a kid, I was into model building big time. In fact, I had many a ship models that I had donated to my High School back in the day when I was a student. They stayed in the Library as decorations until a few years ago. Not a bad run considering I graduated back in 91.

Back in 2010/11 I was into model trains and decided to build myself a nice little N-scale railway.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:25:56 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:05 PM
And the building of the railway diorama...

Still have the model railroad upstairs, although I rarely play with it these days.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:28:54 PM by Chako »

Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:21 PM
 :tu: :tu: WOW this is great stuff guys I'm impressed. Chako your scenery is superb. :like: :like: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 12:38:30 PM
Thank you.

The diorama has come in handy over the years as a backdrop to some photographs.

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 12:43:14 PM
Thank you.

:like: it would be a great way of doing the 30 day challenge.

Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 12:47:52 PM
WWII planes were my childhood passion.  :cheers:

I was never much good at it, too much in a hurry and not neat enough, but I sure enjoyed it.

I still have mixed feeling to this day, my cousin borrowed them for a display at school and I got a box of spares back  :poh:  On the other hand, I dread the thought of having to have schlepped them with me through my travels..... :facepalm:

It drives me made when the better half moves them to dust and decides to rearrange things the around the house for no apparent reason. She underestimates how fragile those little parts stuck to the underside of the wings are  :poh:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 12:52:41 PM
As a kid/teen yes, much like Grant.

Here is a thread where I posted some of the pictures of lead dragons that I painted when I should have been out making friends and meeting girls.   :facepalm:
:pok: :twak:
I think you did ok.

Cars, Planes mostly. I had a concept of doing an SR-71 with the Canadian flag on the underside which I only ever made it about halfway through the paint. A C1 Corvette with the wheels off a nascar kit. An A-10, a couple F4 phantoms, F14, F15, F18, AH64 apache, AH1 cobra,  B52 (1/72!), A 1/8th C2 corvette I never got to complete and it had some pretty bad damage in a move... 

I have a couple classic Cuda/Challenger kits stored away that are only partially built, and a few miscellaneous snap kits that entertained me for about 5-10 minutes each. I haven't done any painting in AGES.

I really should get those Mopars sorted, they'd look great in my display cabinet although I'll have to find new homes for the stuff already packed into it  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 01:04:01 PM
We had a thread about airbrushes a while back, but I am not sure if we had a model thread.  I used to build models of all kinds- cars, figures, dragons, ships, planes, sci fi, you name it, I probably built it.  I haven't built one in years, but I have been thinking of getting back into it.  I really do miss it.

I used to pore over Revell catalogues and Fine Scale Modeler magazines, learning every technique and seeing what others were doing.  I remember a diorama in FSM called something like "CHP has faster cars than Hollywood" and it showed a police garage where the mechanics were painting a Countach in police colors.  I was so enamored with that pic that I went out and bought a Ferarri F40 model done up as a black and white police car and I scratch built roof lights from old cassette parts and the cover off a straight razor.

Def

Those look amazing def makes me consider trying some sci-fi/ fantasy builds. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 06:38:13 PM
Found the box and made an impromptu diorama.

The theme is firmly set in the middle of the 1980s in the Netherlands, when there was a predilection for US made ambulances, and before the current unified emergency services livery. I have quite a few more.
4162019183130.jpg
* 4162019183130.jpg (Filesize: 318.6 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:25 PM
Found the box and made an impromptu diorama.

The theme is firmly set in the middle of the 1980s in the Netherlands, when there was a predilection for US made ambulances, and before the current unified emergency services livery. I have quite a few more.

Thanks for showing us them Dutch. The detail is amazing and love the historical element to it. What scale are they?  :like: :hatsoff:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 11:42:42 PM
Thank you.

You like those metal earth ones too?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:10 AM
I'm not a modeller because I lack the patience, but I have seen some phenomenal work on display at some militaria shows I've been to that from the right angle and under the right light looks photo realistic. Kind of funny that this topic came up now though because a guy I know at another site just hit the jackpot (his words) and bought over 400 model kits that had been left at a consignment store by a widow.  He said he filled up a 6x12 trailer and still had 3 more boxes in the back of his car.  I'm sure he is going to need to sell some of them. If anyone is interested I will try to get him to post about them here and get the name he uses on e-bay.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 03:02:29 AM
Yes. I have a few metal models, mostly Star Wars and a few insects.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 03:12:18 AM
What like these on the right..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%