Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Give that man a badge!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Give that man a badge!
on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:58 AM
Tough old geezer in Nebraska does emergency leg amputation using a penknife...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48278319

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Give that man a badge!
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:44:36 AM
 :o :o :o

Wow. I'd have fainted several times over...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:52:02 AM
:dwts:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:39:14 PM
In the news, it said he even crawled up to 200 feet afterwards to get back to house to call for help.  That's sheer determination.  A badge would be an understatement. :salute:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 02:06:01 PM
Amazing.
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 02:33:29 PM
WOW. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 02:38:45 PM
Wouldn't one bleed to death crawling 200 feet with an amputated lower leg, I wonder? No tourniquets mentioned...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 02:41:50 PM
Pretty remarkable.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:46:20 PM
Give that man a bigger knife! Cold steel espada XL comes to mind...   :ahhh
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 02:47:15 PM
Wouldn't one bleed to death crawling 200 feet with an amputated lower leg, I wonder? No tourniquets mentioned...

****127 hours spolier alert****

But think about the climber Aron Ralston in 127 hours, where he cut himself loose and got out of the canyon.  People does amazing thing under the most extreme circumstances.  But I am with you, D_T, it is still amazing what he did.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 02:56:58 PM
I'd imagine a tourniquet was used  :dunno:.  He was in serious pain already and facing worse.   
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:02:11 PM
I'd imagine a tourniquet was used  :dunno: .  He was in serious pain already and facing worse.   

That lead me to think that--we often think about having medical 'kit' for outdoor adventures/fun, but I am curious do any of us whom have to work with/around heavy machinery has medical kit/items handy?  Especially those whom work at remote location, where cell phone signal could be intermittent.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 03:06:39 PM

That lead me to think that--we often think about having medical 'kit' for outdoor adventures/fun, but I am curious do any of us whom have to work with/around heavy machinery has medical kit/items handy?  Especially those whom work at remote location, where cell phone signal could be intermittent.

And how many of those have a kit that can handle amputated leg?
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 03:08:14 PM
I sure hope so.  I big shot of morphine would be nice in that kit just in case  :whistle:.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:54:53 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:31 PM
And how many of those have a kit that can handle amputated leg?

I should have elaborate more on that, my bad.  Surely conventional, basic first aid outdoor "first-aid" kit(for blister/scraps/etc) are not meant for trauma victims.  Recently I read an article about civilian use of Tourniquet, and I've been given some thought about carrying one myself(even where I live civilians don't bear arms):

https://www.optiongray.com/blog-the-ledger/should-i-carry-a-tourniquet

Right now I do have Israeli bandage/hemostatic dressing in my kit, but in terms of single hand application, maybe including a CAT tourniquet is good, especially when travelling to some really remote location.

What I meant is, it obviously may be a hassle to lug around a full medical kit day in and day out, but maybe a few life saving items(like a 2.9oz CAT tourniquet, or Israeli bandage) could make a difference when you or friend most need it?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 04:22:40 PM
Yes... a few years ago I acquired both for those 'just in case' scenarios. Last trip I forgot to pack them but this sure is a reminder that things can go wrong in unexpected ways. The dangers may not be so prevalent in urban environments (I believe at least tourniquets are standard issue to some police and all ambulance crew around here nowadays) but if you are further away from town or handle dangerous equipment on a regular basis it might be a very good idea to have them in your kit.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 04:47:55 PM
Are we sure it was a SAK?  The article just says pen knife  :think:.  Did I miss something? 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 04:50:26 PM
Are we sure it was a SAK?  The article just says pen knife  :think:.  Did I miss something? 
I don't think anyone said SAK.
Thunderpants said penknife too.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 05:03:18 PM
Yeah, let's hope it was something slicy like a Spyderco Endura and not a blunt Vic Classic!

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 06:26:42 PM

****127 hours spolier alert****

But think about the climber Aron Ralston in 127 hours, where he cut himself loose and got out of the canyon.  People does amazing thing under the most extreme circumstances.  But I am with you, D_T, it is still amazing what he did.

I thought of the Aron Ralston (read book before movie) also.  Pure will to love.  This story is amazing how he stayed conscious and continued through the pain.

I should have elaborate more on that, my bad.  Surely conventional, basic first aid outdoor "first-aid" kit(for blister/scraps/etc) are not meant for trauma victims.  Recently I read an article about civilian use of Tourniquet, and I've been given some thought about carrying one myself(even where I live civilians don't bear arms):

https://www.optiongray.com/blog-the-ledger/should-i-carry-a-tourniquet

Right now I do have Israeli bandage/hemostatic dressing in my kit, but in terms of single hand application, maybe including a CAT tourniquet is good, especially when travelling to some really remote location.

What I meant is, it obviously may be a hassle to lug around a full medical kit day in and day out, but maybe a few life saving items(like a 2.9oz CAT tourniquet, or Israeli bandage) could make a difference when you or friend most need it?

I carry one of two basic trauma (bleeding control) kits everywhere I go.  Hopefully, I will never have cause to need one, but I’d rather have then need and not have.  I said the same about CPR and it came in handy just a few years after taking.

Mine are really basic (tourniquet, mini trauma dressing and hemostatic gauze) and kept small, so I will actually carry one.  The better one on the left is about 5.5 x 5.5 x 1.5in and the smaller is 5 x 3.5 x 1.5. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 06:56:03 PM
I thought of the Aron Ralston (read book before movie) also.  Pure will to love.  This story is amazing how he stayed conscious and continued through the pain.

I carry one of two basic trauma (bleeding control) kits everywhere I go.  Hopefully, I will never have cause to need one, but I’d rather have then need and not have.  I said the same about CPR and it came in handy just a few years after taking.

Mine are really basic (tourniquet, mini trauma dressing and hemostatic gauze) and kept small, so I will actually carry one.  The better one on the left is about 5.5 x 5.5 x 1.5in and the smaller is 5 x 3.5 x 1.5. 
(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you for showing us your EDC, these are good selections and I too hope you never have to use it, but if you must, may these come in handy and save life. :salute:

I am no expert in the field of emergency medicine, but do know that there are fake CAT/tourniquet sold online(even potentially on Amazon), so as a very friendly reminder to anyone whom like to carry one, please get it from a reliable source.  Last thing you want is to have a life-saving tool fail on you when you need it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%