Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Leatherman Wingman as a life saver

EMZ · 17 · 1059

nl Offline EMZ

on: May 22, 2019, 04:02:52 PM
Some weeks ago my wife and I bought a young horse. The poor animal wasn’t used to travel in a horse trailer and our journey would take about two hours, without traffic jams. So we had a challenge.
First, the horse was very reluctant to enter the trailer. That did cost us about half an hour of hard work.
Second, traffic was much heavier than expected. So by the time we were half way, the first traffic jams started.

In a large curve in the highway the horse had to pee. Due to the centrifugal forces and the urinated, wet floor of the horse trailer, the horse slipped, tripped and lost its balance. In order to restore its balance the horse jumped up, and ended with his forelegs over the front cross bar! Anybody familiar with horses and horse trailers know this is an extremely dangerous situation. Luckily we were accompanied by a friend who was driving behind us in order to check the safety of the horse and trailer. She saw what had happened and immediately informed us that we had to make an emergency stop on the highway’s safety lane. So we did and checked the situation. We realized we were in a live threatening situation. If the horse would panic (something they usually do in sort like circumstances) the change of one of us being killed would be very likely. Cars and trucks were passing us with 90 km/h within 3-4 feet!

To be honest, we were all three fighting against our panic. I really felt for a few seconds the best option was to run away and leave it all behind. Of course this was no real option, but we had to fight our emotions. We first called the emergency services to inform them of the dangerous situation we were in.
Then I realized the horse trailer has a special emergency release for the inner front bars.
You see, the front bar on the inside is attached to a plate that is secured with a screw to the outer wall of the trailer. (Se picure)
The screw is on the outside of the trailer ,so it van be reached from the outside. (You don’t want to be inside a trailer when a horse panics. I’ve seen horses escape through the trailer’s roof, which can easily kill a horse.)
However the screw was tightened very fast. It had never been used or unscrewed for about 10 years. I could not unscrew it with my bare hands. I had to have a large screw driver or something alike, but that was somewhere buried in the back of the fully loaded car’s trunk. Then I realized I have my Leatherman Wingman always within reach of the driver’s position! I quickly got is and folded one handle outwards. Now I had a long piece of steel that I could use as a lever to loosen the emergency screw. It did take me a few seconds to unloosen the screw and free the horse which was still hanging on this front bar. (And meanwhile the trucks were still driving at high speed at only 1-2 meters of my body. Also it had stared to rain; not normal rain, no it was a real down pour!)

Anyway, after the horse was freed, we drove to a nearby parking lot, where we called for a vet. The vet gave him some tranquilizers. The horse trailer also got a flat tire while driving on the safety lane. We had to fix that also. We waited until the traffic jams were gone and then we headed for home.
The horse survived with minor bruises and cuts on his forelegs. The most astonishing was that all the time it did’t panic!!
But thanks to my Leatherman we quickly could get away out of this live threatening situation. Unfortunately I had to put a little bit too much force on the multi-tool, so now the tools in one of the legs won’t open easily. But who cares!
P5206214.JPG
* P5206214.JPG (Filesize: 134.38 KB)
Knipsel front bar.jpg
* Knipsel front bar.jpg (Filesize: 392.29 KB)
Knipsel.jpg
* Knipsel.jpg (Filesize: 398.83 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: My Leatherman Wingman as a life saver
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:30:24 PM
So glad to hear that everyone and the horse survived without injury. That must have been really scary !

Way to go for keeping your head and awesome that the Wingman saved the day.   :salute:

You should send this story to Leatherman   :tu:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:37:59 PM
And people still ask why we carry multitool!

Glad that it went alright and that all of you made it out in one piece and now have a nice story to tell.

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:35:12 PM
 :hatsoff: Well done.  Send that story to LM. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:06:33 PM
Forgot to mention that the horse was tied down to the cross bar with a rope (it can be seen in the picture).
The knot was also 10 years old and was so tight it couldn't be untied by hand. That was the second time the LM came in handy!
I used the screw driver as a pry (or awl) to open the knot.
Maybe, just maybe I would have run away if I hadn't had the LM multi-tool.

Maybe I will send the story to LM. Woud they like it? Never done that before.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:23:54 PM
So glad to hear that everyone and the horse survived without injury. That must have been really scary !

Way to go for keeping your head and awesome that the Wingman saved the day.   :salute:

You should send this story to Leatherman   :tu:

:iagree:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 09:22:27 PM
And people still ask why we carry multitool!

Glad that it went alright and that all of you made it out in one piece and now have a nice story to tell.

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

This!  :iagree:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:35:13 PM
Good thinking.  Shame the Wingman was damaged in the process, but knowing it kept others safe makes it well worth it.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:46:13 PM
It's a tool, it can be replaced.
But your life depended on a quick solution and it provided just that.
Good thinking and I'm glad you all got home safe :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 01:26:00 AM
Glad it worked for you and horse.
Yes, send the story, also, the tool is warranted, they may fix or exchange. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 02:03:03 AM
Thank you for sharing the story, EMZ!
Glad y'all are safe and good work with the quick thinking to use the Wingman as a metal bar in the emergency. :salute:

It is a strong tool for sure, and even though I am not a fan of the ergonomics with the pliers, I feel it is one of the best $40 tools out there. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 06:10:38 AM
What a story! Glad everything worked out. :like:

au Offline munecito

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 01:28:30 PM
Great story.

You should send it to Leatherman to be included in their page.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 11:52:33 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 06:12:10 PM
Thank you all for your support!
I just e-mailed the story to Leatherman. Maybe they'll enjoy it.

se Offline MickeS

Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 10:32:48 AM
Some weeks ago my wife and I bought a young horse. The poor animal wasn’t used to travel in a horse trailer and our journey would take about two hours, without traffic jams. So we had a challenge.
First, the horse was very reluctant to enter the trailer. That did cost us about half an hour of hard work.
Second, traffic was much heavier than expected. So by the time we were half way, the first traffic jams started.

In a large curve in the highway the horse had to pee. Due to the centrifugal forces and the urinated, wet floor of the horse trailer, the horse slipped, tripped and lost its balance. In order to restore its balance the horse jumped up, and ended with his forelegs over the front cross bar! Anybody familiar with horses and horse trailers know this is an extremely dangerous situation. Luckily we were accompanied by a friend who was driving behind us in order to check the safety of the horse and trailer. She saw what had happened and immediately informed us that we had to make an emergency stop on the highway’s safety lane. So we did and checked the situation. We realized we were in a live threatening situation. If the horse would panic (something they usually do in sort like circumstances) the change of one of us being killed would be very likely. Cars and trucks were passing us with 90 km/h within 3-4 feet!

To be honest, we were all three fighting against our panic. I really felt for a few seconds the best option was to run away and leave it all behind. Of course this was no real option, but we had to fight our emotions. We first called the emergency services to inform them of the dangerous situation we were in.
Then I realized the horse trailer has a special emergency release for the inner front bars.
You see, the front bar on the inside is attached to a plate that is secured with a screw to the outer wall of the trailer. (Se picure)
The screw is on the outside of the trailer ,so it van be reached from the outside. (You don’t want to be inside a trailer when a horse panics. I’ve seen horses escape through the trailer’s roof, which can easily kill a horse.)
However the screw was tightened very fast. It had never been used or unscrewed for about 10 years. I could not unscrew it with my bare hands. I had to have a large screw driver or something alike, but that was somewhere buried in the back of the fully loaded car’s trunk. Then I realized I have my Leatherman Wingman always within reach of the driver’s position! I quickly got is and folded one handle outwards. Now I had a long piece of steel that I could use as a lever to loosen the emergency screw. It did take me a few seconds to unloosen the screw and free the horse which was still hanging on this front bar. (And meanwhile the trucks were still driving at high speed at only 1-2 meters of my body. Also it had stared to rain; not normal rain, no it was a real down pour!)

Anyway, after the horse was freed, we drove to a nearby parking lot, where we called for a vet. The vet gave him some tranquilizers. The horse trailer also got a flat tire while driving on the safety lane. We had to fix that also. We waited until the traffic jams were gone and then we headed for home.
The horse survived with minor bruises and cuts on his forelegs. The most astonishing was that all the time it did’t panic!!
But thanks to my Leatherman we quickly could get away out of this live threatening situation. Unfortunately I had to put a little bit too much force on the multi-tool, so now the tools in one of the legs won’t open easily. But who cares!
Good work!

Skickat från min SM-G965F via Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69