Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Tactical Shemagh? Any info?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Tactical Shemagh? Any info?
Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 10:46:49 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 10:51:29 PM
 :D

I'm sure Tilley makes one in your size......  :pok:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 11:07:22 PM
I’d like something that repels mosquitos too, but not just on that one spot but the area so you don’t get bit anywhere..
JR

Nice hat Nix
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 11:08:56 PM
I know they make things that last like 70 washes, cause that would be my one problem, dealing with something that just got sprayed down, I hate it!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:04 PM
You can use something like this:

This stuff is Permethrin. You soak your clothes or hat in it and then let them dry. Once dried, the insect protection last for several washings (4-6 x). This really is good stuff and works well. (The military is big on Permethrin.) 

Of course, it is still advised to use regular insect repellent on exposed skin. I go with DEET.

I've used permethrin on bandanas, hats, pants, and shirts.  :tu:  The shemagh I showed in the earlier photo was treated with permethrin several years ago. Might be a good idea to reapply that!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 11:45:09 PM
You can use something like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

This stuff is Permethrin. You soak your clothes or hat in it and then let them dry. Once dried, the insect protection last for several washings (4-6 x). This really is good stuff and works well. (The military is big on Permethrin.) 

Of course, it is still advised to use regular insect repellent on exposed skin. I go with DEET.

I've used permethrin on bandanas, hats, pants, and shirts.  :tu:  The shemagh I showed in the earlier photo was treated with permethrin several years ago. Might be a good idea to reapply that!
(You do have to mind your cats around that stuff. Quite toxic for them!)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 02:08:46 AM
Toxic if washed once?
Cause that would be the first thing I did, after soaking and drys I’d have to wash it,
Now if I did it to a over shirt or hat would they only not bite that section? Or would it keep them away from the area and not on my legs?
JR

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 09:19:13 AM
Permethrin is an insecticide - it simply kill things. You put it on your outer layers (the outer the better...you don't really want it on you) some people don't put it on their clothes at all, but prefer to just do their tent/mozzie net.

DEET is more of an "invisibility spray", the bugs will be simply go about their business as if you weren't there.

If you don't mind the presence of the bugs, but simply don't want them crawling into every available orifice and inviting their friends for tea and scones in your eyeball, then DEET is the way to go, if you'd rather use yourself as bait, but make it a suicide mission, then Permethrin is an option.

Personally I've had plenty of success with DEET products, and I'm not terribly inclined to cover my clothes (much less something that will rub directly on me, like a scarf or neck sock) with deadly chemicals.

Also, I keep bees, so...y'know....

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #38 on: October 31, 2021, 12:53:07 AM
  Just ordered a Shemagh, thinner cotton version. Have been considering them off and on for a few years, mostly considered to wear in the colder months. And now after what Covid did to my lungs am even more sensitive to colder air coming in. These do look to be more adjustable for neck and face wear, just not sure of one can be worn indoors in place of a mask and be acceptable at work.

However getting the ice/snow off the car soon, getting to work, and having to hit the cold air back home I decided to purchase a pair to see how they wear. Have hats that do great on the head. Have a couple of silk neck scarves but those are not as easily washed, dried, and you would definitely not want to wear one as a face mask. Bandanas are often too short and leave the neck open to cold.
  Have a few scarves but most are too short as well. Might be able to go around the neck once, and then there is usually not much to tuck under. Still good for quick dashes, and if wide enough could be used as a muffler to preheat the incoming air. There has never been a perfect option that is socially acceptable in the Western culture.

Best scarf I seen was the 4th Doctor Who worn my Tom Baker. Now that guy had a very long scarf, multicolored, yet rather too long. Still, trying to find a warm, washable, and long/wide men's neck scarf that can also cover the face would probably be quite expensive -- if one can be found. I have not found one yet.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%