Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How can I soften the back spring on a Pioneer SAK Mod?

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Hey all,

I just purchased a Bladeless Pioneer X mod off ebay and the back springs are tight enough that I'm afraid I'll loose a finger nail trying to open it.

Is there a fairly easy way for me to reduce the spring tension or am I SOL?

Was thinking of propping the tools open up at 1/3 position so that the spring is bent backwards on itself for a day or two to see if that might work but I also don't want to break it.

Thoughts?

-Wes.
img_20190616_1336584_rlTDj.jpg
* img_20190616_1336584_rlTDj.jpg (Filesize: 193.07 KB)
img_20190616_1337264_iZkxy.jpg
* img_20190616_1337264_iZkxy.jpg (Filesize: 189.6 KB)
img_20190616_1337342_cFabS.jpg
* img_20190616_1337342_cFabS.jpg (Filesize: 186.06 KB)
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: How can I soften the back spring on a Pioneer SAK Mod?
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:53:01 PM
Maybe it's screwed to hard? Or it's the short springs that does it?

But I think the right answer will arrive shortly

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:01:08 PM
On some of my own mods when I've gotten the pins (screws in your case) too tight, the return snap is also lazy.  Is this the case with your knife, or does the return snap seem normal? 

Have you lubricated the joints with the proper oil?   When I've gotten older, used SAKs and the implements feel tight, a good cleaning and lubrication usually frees them up. 

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:08:57 PM
Adjustable spanner (or vice) tightened on the thick unsharpened part of the blade/tool at the base. Hold firm and wiggle side to side relative to handle. Do it gently! Every few wiggles check the action. I've used this trick on a couple of knives including a SAK mod that I overtightened.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:53:13 AM
On some of my own mods when I've gotten the pins (screws in your case) too tight, the return snap is also lazy.  Is this the case with your knife, or does the return snap seem normal? 

Have you lubricated the joints with the proper oil?   When I've gotten older, used SAKs and the implements feel tight, a good cleaning and lubrication usually frees them up.

Return snap is great, I will try out some oil, then follow up with loosening the screws a bit and Pom's suggestion to work at the joint.

Thanks gents!

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 10:59:20 AM
Is there a fairly easy way for me to reduce the spring tension or am I SOL?

Easy is in the eyes of the beholder. If you have your wits about you then yes.

Was thinking of propping the tools open up at 1/3 position so that the spring is bent backwards on itself for a day or two to see if that might work...
This will not work. The spring will only experience elastic deformation during this process, which changes nothing.

Checklist:
Friction issues: Lateral friction caused by overtightening, or Mesial friction at the spring interface due to dirt and grime.
If dirty then clean
If unlubed then lube.
If problem persists then:

Disassemble and reduce spring tension by gently removing metal stock with a file at the interface nub. This can be done to the tool or to the spring, although I recommend working on the spring. The principle is that by reducing the displacement from spring neutral you reduce the spring tension to desired levels.
It is paramount to go slow, and reassemble often to check that the spring tension is reduced "just enough". If you overdo it then you have ruined at least one part. And make sure to keep your grind square to the sides. Trust me, it is important  :oops:

-T
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%