Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Want to mod a Camper... Would this work?

us Offline JasonJ

Want to mod a Camper... Would this work?
on: June 28, 2019, 05:01:29 AM
What I'd like to do is remove the opener layer from a Camper, but swap the reamer into the corkscrew position.

I know I could leave the corkscrew alone and lose the reamer altogether, and reassemble as that, but that'd be a big downer for me.

I've seen from the exploded disassembly topic how the springs for the openers and blade layer are different, however it looks as though you could mod the backside of the blade spring to match that of the opener spring.... Which should allow the reamer to go in place.

Any thoughts?  I suppose this would be darn close to a 91mm version of Swiss Bianco's alox Bushcrafter in a way.

If it matters, the rationale here is that I use a Camper as my carving and whittling knife, and only have use for the saw, two blades and reamer.  Being able to pare this down to just 2 layers would be cool, practical and of course totally custom.

I know they if anywhere/anyone would know the feasibility of this, it's mto.  I've tried searching but didn't find much. 

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Want to mod a Camper... Would this work?
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 07:45:41 AM
I think the reamer/awl is slightly thinner but I don't know if that is a problem.
Also, you could use the saw layer from a ranger which gives you a chisel as well. Thay may be a nice bonus.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:19:00 AM
An in-line awl from the 93mm range will drop right in to your Camper in place of the small blade - makes an even better reamer than the back side one :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:54:47 AM
An in-line awl from the 93mm range will drop right in to your Camper in place of the small blade - makes an even better reamer than the back side one :tu:

Ooooh... get you, clever clogs.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 10:56:02 AM
Ooooh... get you, clever clogs.
Still waiting for that parrot joke Angus.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 11:09:55 AM
Still waiting for that parrot joke Angus.

On reflection... I don't think you're ready yet to hear the ultimate parrot joke... sorry. One day though Chewie, one day you'll be ready... (ruffles hair)...

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:42:46 PM
I think the reamer/awl is slightly thinner but I don't know if that is a problem.
Also, you could use the saw layer from a ranger which gives you a chisel as well. Thay may be a nice bonus.

That may be nice to have... I think I may just have to disassemble one of my campers and give it a go.  overlay the opener spring on the blade spring and mark the differences, carefully reshape it and see what happens.  Worst case, I lose the backspring tools and end up with an even closer version of the SB Bushcrafter.

Thanks for the idea on the ranger saw layer, I'll see what I can find.

Very true, the inline awl is amazing (not that the backspring reamer is any slouch either).  BUT.. and this is huge, for my uses for this camper, the small blade is the main blade used.  Remember this is for carving and whittling and most of those tiny cuts are being done with that small blade.  Having both blades AND the inline awl would be the diggity though!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%