Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK backside tools mod question

it Offline shadowrider

SAK backside tools mod question
on: July 31, 2019, 03:37:18 PM
If a wood saw layer is sitting directly next to the openers layer, does the backside fine screwdriver interfere with the opening of the awl? In other words, is the awl nail nick covered (even partially) by the fine screwdriver, it they are right next to each other (like it would be in a Ranger without scissors)?
Does anyone have a picture of what I'm talking about?

Total mod noob here and want to make sure I'm not going to screw things up before I start disassembling.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: SAK backside tools mod question
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 04:28:27 PM

Took a photo of the backside of my swisschamp to explain--

The green arrow indicates the backside Awl from openers, the blue arrow points at the backside fine screwdriver under the woodsaw.  If you put these two side by side, I think most majority of the Awl nail nick, if not all, will be blocked by the fine screwdriver.  It is usable, but you just have to lift the fine screwdriver before getting the awl out.

Hope this helps! :D

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 07:21:40 AM
What all models come with that fine screw driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:52:19 PM
What all models come with that fine screw driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Ranger, Handyman and Swisschamp should all have them, but am not sure there are other models that host the backside fine screwdriver

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 04:28:18 PM
Thank you comis, that really is helpful.

zrxoa1, other models I can think of that feature the backside fine screwdriver are the Master Craftsman and the Mountineer Lite. Then there was SMKW Wildlife Series (4 models) where the fine screwdriver replaced the awl.

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:59:47 PM
Edit to my previuos post: Actually, I meant Huntsman Lite, not Mountaineer Lite. The Mountaineer LIte has a wood chisel instead.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:26:58 PM
If a wood saw layer is sitting directly next to the openers layer, does the backside fine screwdriver interfere with the opening of the awl? In other words, is the awl nail nick covered (even partially) by the fine screwdriver, it they are right next to each other (like it would be in a Ranger without scissors)?
Does anyone have a picture of what I'm talking about?

Total mod noob here and want to make sure I'm not going to screw things up before I start disassembling.

It should work. No different to opening the fine flat that sits behind the chisel. They’ll be enough space and the nicks are staggered.

(Edit: pic is Cybertool L aka CT41)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 09:30:50 AM
I think it really depends on what you want in the end, if the backside wood chisel and fine screwdriver,(exactly like in Max or my photo), then I would have no doubt it will work.  But if the tool combo you are looking for are fine screwdriver next to the awl, then the chance might be much slimmer.(there is still a 0.8mm liner gap between two tools, but their profiles and nail nick positions are rather similar)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%