Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix L2D.

Benner · 15 · 2612

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Fenix L2D.
on: December 21, 2008, 04:36:42 PM
How many here EDC this fantastic light?  :)  I recently got a Q5 one from Micky D in a trade (cheers pal) and I really like it.  :)

It seems to be pretty popular so I was wondering who EDC's it and if anyone has come across any issues?

TIA

Ben
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fenix L2D.
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:38:41 PM
I have the CE version... I really like it! It is one of my most carried lights.. I prefer to carry AA or AAA battery lights because you can take them out of electronics, remote controls, etc..I learned that when we lost power from the ice storm. I just took AA batteries out of my Comcast remote!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:42:18 PM
I have the CE version... I really like it! It is one of my most carried lights.. I prefer to carry AA or AAA battery lights because you can take them out of electronics, remote controls, etc..I learned that when we lost power from the ice storm. I just took AA batteries out of my Comcast remote!

I am leaning more towards AA and AAA lights these days as well, especially as CR123's cost more now due to the exchange rate.

One thing I really like is how it locks itself in turbo mode.  It then makes a great defensive light and twinned with my L0D I feel I have a great combo.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:56:42 PM
Love mine 8) Carry it quite a bit when walking, do tend to make it into a L1D when going to town or similar as it's more pocketable then :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:37:32 PM
Glad your getting on with it mate, it is a fantastic light :), just a bit too big for me :-\

But I'm pretty happy with my LD10 :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:16:00 AM
I just LOVE my L2D Q5, I EDC it everyday with the SURGE use the pouch it came with always belt carry, if I'm not carrying its always beside me   :) The only disadvantage is that its hard to pocket carry  :( the AA batteries are great available almost word wide and cheaper to. AA is the most popular battery that stores don't ran out of, because in case of emergency most people have flash light that ran on D batteries, and the run time of the light is great too  :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:50:46 AM
I've had several L2Ds, and have kept my favorite of the bunch.  Actually, it is a P4 (not a Q5) but it has a better beam and tint than any Q5 L2D I've seen.  That is one of the few lights I have that I know I won't be selling anytime soon.  I tend to EDC single-cell lights, but that L2D always goes with me in my baggage any time I'm travelling.

The only thing I would do to improve the L2D is make the low mode dimmer, and put in a more robust switch.

- Terry

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:39:19 AM
I've an older model, its a good torch and gets plenty of use.  I don't tend to carry it on my person as its a fraction too long, though sits OK in my waterproof's pockets.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:03:30 PM
I have 2 and the tubes to make them to L1Ds. It is one of my more trusted EDCs and
I keep them in places I might really need it.

I agree with Terry, a lower low would have been nice, for less night blindness and more
efficiency. I use eneloops in mine for longer performance and better cost savings
(way less batteries to buy), but it's nice to know if I had to I could use regular alkies,

great torch :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:10 PM
I had a L2T a while ago, it's good but found it too thin to hold in hand comfortably, which is why I've settled on 123a based lights.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:53:06 PM
L2D's a fantastic light! Great for camping, emergencies, and for early morning jogging ! But for me, esp. for urban use, not suited for EDC. I'll go for the size of L1D or P2D.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:58:01 PM by Teofilo »

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 01:45:21 AM
I have an Olight T15 Q5.  I preferred that to the Fenix L2D, but they are very comprable lights and I really enjoy it.  It is a TAD big for EDC, so I might end up getting a smaller one like some of you mentioned.  I had one problem, they annodized part of the threads of my light, so in cold weather the contacts are not perfect and it doesnt always work.  I just have to file or sand blast the threads off. Great lights though.

-Dough
W

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 02:20:05 PM
Easy off oven cleaner will take the anodize off.
- Terry

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 06:29:20 PM
I had a chance to really use the L2D the past few days, with our 2 day power-outage and we have a diffuser
for it. On low it works darn good, bright enough for many applications. On high, it gets hot after a few minutes,
not burning hot but very noticeable.

I had to put something together and needed more light (and with the diffuser it really spreads out),
I went through 3 sets of batteries (1 eneloops, 2 alkie), but I remember reading about this before,
so it wasn't a complete surprise.

I have an older CE version and I'm surprised when it got low, it just didn't go out (all of a sudden)
but it went dimmer and dimmer (like lights of old).

It did the job and I like it even more :salute:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 09:59:10 PM
The diffuser is a nice option, but I prefer to just bounce the light off the ceiling in candle mode when indoors.  I only use the diffuser outdoors, and try to hang the light head down from the lanyard, so the diffuse light is projected toward the ground and outward.

If you need to use the high modes while you're not holding the light and you're worried about excess temperature, you can partially submerge the light in a glass of water.  The water will pull the heat away from the body just as your hand does.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD